GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 34k miles, I have what I consider my first drive-train issue. Yesterday I found a small (about 2" dia.) puddle on my garage floor under the right side of the engine compartment. Light pink, a little oily feeling. Also found it on the parking lot at work.

No warnings, and my battery and electronic fluid levels looked OK, but I wasn't sure about the engine coolant (the tank on the passenger side, rear of engine compartment).

I took it in to the dealer this AM. It's the engine coolant. There is a leak with a hose. A new hose is coming in tomorrow. Though drivable, I'm leaving the car there and I'll have it back tomorrow. I don't need a rental, so they will pick me up when the car is ready. Less hassle for me, no rental for them. All's good.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My wife's Volt had left a few small drips on the garage floor; turned out to be a battery coolant hose. Had to wait until the next day to get the part.

Seems like a lot of parts are just not stocked. If you have a simple problem like a hose, one would expect to get the car back the same day.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem. seems like it's not going to be a big deal. The bad thing is that no longer will you be able to say that you have had "zero" problems with your Volt. LOL

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My wife's Volt had left a few small drips on the garage floor; turned out to be a battery coolant hose. Had to wait until the next day to get the part.

Seems like a lot of parts are just not stocked. If you have a simple problem like a hose, one would expect to get the car back the same day.
Its common business practice these days not to stock parts, part of the 'inventory is evil' mantra. This has been going on a long time, the effect being that if you require parts for yourself (IE dealer not installing) you can actually order things online direct than wait for the dealer and pay their markup. I'd bet this has led to a decrease in dealer parts sales, so they actually shot themselves in the foot long term by not stocking anything.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bad thing is that no longer will you be able to say that you have had "zero" problems with your Volt. LOL
I KNOW! Bummer. But it's a little thing and if they had the part, it would be fixed already. I'll note that it was an issue related to THE GAS ENGINE not the battery, haha. Despite the rarity of my presence in their service bays, the service department staff knows me by name which is kind of nice.

I suspect some of the lack of parts stocking is due to the lack of history with the car. What parts does a dealer stock without knowing what things tend to fail? Also, there just aren't as many Volts out there as say, a Cruze. Plus, with next day delivery for many things, it's more an issue of a small customer inconvenience than anything.

With my other car, I'm used to having to wait for parts a day or two. Or a week, haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts