GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this with my 2016 volt: directing the heat to the floor zone isn't super effective at making it warmer near my feet. Even blasting it full seems to do little. I can feel hot air coming out down there, but its probably just not enough to warm the space near the pedals. Anyone have this issue? I am pretty sure my system is operating correctly, so wanted to see what other people thought. I am probably just getting old.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have noticed this with my 2016 volt: directing the heat to the floor zone isn't super effective at making it warmer near my feet. Even blasting it full seems to do little. I can feel hot air coming out down there, but its probably just not enough to warm the space near the pedals. Anyone have this issue? I am pretty sure my system is operating correctly, so wanted to see what other people thought. I am probably just getting old.
My 2012 and the Gen 2 cars I've driven heat up quite well. Let us know what settings you are using.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same cold feet in my 2016. It doesn't bother me much.

The bigger problem: In auto mode my windshield fogs. I have to manually direct air to the windshield. I seem to recall a humidity sensor was supposed to take care of that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Eco or Max (I.e. comfort)?

I have the same issue in both modes unless I crank it to about 80 on max. The rest of the car is acceptable, but the foot wells definitely stay cold at any normal setting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the cabin heats up really well, but the forward floor area in the drivers side stays pretty cold.

I generally use manual fan control with cabin re-circulation on, and even with a low fan setting in eco mode, the cabin gets nice and warm, but the floor stays cold. Even if the only direction on is the floor, it stays pretty cold down there. Taking a look there seems to just be one little nozzle that jets air there, and I just don't think its enough.

I have used the full auto (zone and fan speed) occasionally though I tend to want more control.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've noticed this as well in my nearly-4-month-old 2017 Gen 2. It takes a long time to heat up the foot well enough to feel it in my feet with Max and Hi settings. It's a little better when the ICE is on, I'm starting to use Hold-mode if it's really cold out (or I'm really cold). I have the car set to not use the engine until 15 degrees F so it can get quite cold before engine heats comes on, and we just had another small snow storm show up here in Denver so I'm seeing this as a minor inconvenience. Not sure what the fix is, but I keep a pair of thick winter socks in the car now :eek: :cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I noticed the same thing up here in Western Canada and it's only gone down to -30 so far this winter.

I find the heat is fine around town, even on Eco, but on the highway using on Max with ERDTT or Hold directing at the feat causes more windchill than it's worth.

Leaving the fans on Auto seems to optimize the flow better for these highway drives.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I noticed the same thing up here in Western Canada and it's only gone down to -30 so far this winter.

I find the heat is fine around town, even on Eco, but on the highway using on Max with ERDTT or Hold directing at the feat causes more windchill than it's worth.

Leaving the fans on Auto seems to optimize the flow better for these highway drives.
Good point, I've mostly noticed the cold feet at highway speeds too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My suggestion to the OP is to get a thermometer or two and actually take some measurements.

I use one of these....

Set to 73 degrees, comfort, auto, my 2013 will actually make the pedal area around 79 degrees on EV and up to 85 degrees on ICE heat before it starts to back off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I have noticed this too. On my Gen1, it seems that if the outside temperature is more than 30 degrees (F) lower than the requested cabin temperature, the heater seems to be good, otherwise it's chilly. Range takes a hit but I like to be warm. Of course, it helps to get a sufficient pre-heat of the cabin before a trip. It's not like my old Oldsmoble with a blast furnace for a heater which could melt your boots and heat the cabin with all the windows open.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep, the heat in the Volt just sucks. You're not going to freeze to death, but man it wasn't designed well for that car! My feet are always cold when it's 20F or less outside (even if I'm using MAX and HI for the temp setting). I've also noticed that if I use mainly defrost then the "wind" of the air coming off the windshield over my head or into my face has been cooled down enough by the very cold glass that it feels like a FAN is on, there is no warmth in the air. Even if the cabin is ok (say 74F) and the heater is cranked to max (MAX and HI) if it's all on defrost with a fan speed of 3/4 or higher I get cool air blowing in my face, which makes the cabin feel much colder then it is...

Also, today I noticed what could be a serious safety issue... I had the heater on MAX and HI (electric only) and we started getting freezing rain. Well that is not enough heat even at 100% defrost to keep the rain from freezing ON my windshield. You'll get two half circle shapes from the dash to about three inches above eye line (maybe a little more then 50% up the windshield) that didn't freeze up but the rest of the windshield had the rain drops freezing onto the glass enough that windshield wipers wouldn't clear it off. If it was coming down at a decent clip I bet it would have started freezing over into my eye line... that's a little worrying...

I had my car into the shop for a week last week to do the recall update and they verified my heat was working "as designed" and advised me to make sure I always used "MAX" and "HI" if I felt cold when it was really cold outside (the day they told me this it was 10F outside). I love the car, but GM still isn't where they need to be... just counting down the days until my Model 3...

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I purchased my 2017 at the start of last summer. I noticed that my feet would get hot during highway driving. Once I installed Husky Liner floor mats in my Volt there was an unexpected benefit in that I noticed that my feet did not feel the heat as much. It would be interesting to know if you are using the standard Volt carpeted floor mats, Volt all-weather floor mats or some after market floor mats.

In the winter I always pre-heat my Volt for 10 to 20 minutes in the morning before I leave. Each night before I shut off my Volt I set the thermostat to HI and the heater to Max, the fan and vent controls to Auto and the air flow to recirculate.

In the morning I usually drive without heat, just the heated seat and steering wheel. On the coldest days so far this winter the in DC area ~ 17 F, not nearly as cold as a Canadian winter, I have used the Economy setting and set the thermostat to 74 or 75 degrees. Most of the warm air seems to come from the dash vents, heating my hands. My feet never feel cold.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Same cold feet in my 2016. It doesn't bother me much.

The bigger problem: In auto mode my windshield fogs. I have to manually direct air to the windshield. I seem to recall a humidity sensor was supposed to take care of that.
On a Gen 1 you just hit the defroster button, like most every other vehicle. Should the Gen 2 be able to detect a fogged windshield automatically?

·
Registered
16,17 volt
948 Posts
make sure its off deferred and run it in hold mode the engine will cycle 10 deg higher
use more gas but stay warmer

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ditto on the cold feet and defogger performance. Though, from what I've read elsewhere in the forum someone suggested turning RECIRC off to let fresh, dryer air in to defog the windows better. I find this actually works on drier, colder temps. When it's 45F and raining like today around Seattle, RECIRC actually does a better job defogging cause the outside air is actually more humid.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My feet are always cold when it's 20F or less outside (even if I'm using MAX and HI for the temp setting).

I had my car into the shop for a week last week to do the recall update and they verified my heat was working "as designed" and advised me to make sure I always used "MAX" and "HI" if I felt cold when it was really cold outside (the day they told me this it was 10F outside).
acarney sounds to me like your dealer is wrong and your car has a problem. Either that or you have poor circulation.

When I chimed in about it being cooler on the feet, I meant at -20 to -30C on the highway. There is plenty of heat even in Eco in town at -10 to -15 with the temp set to 23.

·
Registered
251 Posts
acarney sounds to me like your dealer is wrong and your car has a problem. Either that or you have poor circulation.

When I chimed in about it being cooler on the feet, I meant at -20 to -30C on the highway. There is plenty of heat even in Eco in town at -10 to -15 with the temp set to 23.
I've kinda given up on the heater "issues" since it's a lease and winter here usually isn't too bad past February. I see about 6kW of heating power when maxed. It preconditions really well and then the heat seems to blow crazy hot for awhile. When I switch to eco obviously it mellows out some and then when I switch to max again it doesn't always seem to get toasty warm like when preconditioned. I need to get some hard and fast data points but I just haven't had time for that.

Maybe there is something wrong, maybe the active front grill isn't closing or something so at speed the cool air on the engine is just too much for the heater but when stopped the cabin can easily get to 80F within five to ten minutes...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts