GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 years and 1 month, my luck finally ran out with the OEM tires. As I turned onto the street that my Mom lives on, I heard an unusual sound come from the back of my Volt that I could not immediately identify. About 3 seconds later the source of the sound became obvious as a message popped up on the DIC that said my left rear tire was at 0 PSI. I was only about half a block from my Mom's house so I continued on to her driveway. The air had exited the tire very rapidly so I knew that the goo would not fix it. Rather than miss dinner waiting for a tow to a closed dealer, I borrowed my Mom's car and went back to my house to retrieve my Cadillac CTS compact spare. Only took about 10 minutes to put on the spare and my Volt was ready for the drive back home.
I dropped the tire off at NTB for repair, but upon further review, the hole was ob-long in the tread, they tried to plug & patch it but it would not hold air. I don't know what I ran over, but it left a nasty hole right in the middle of the tread. Only 19K miles on these tires so I will replace just the one. Now waiting for another Goodyear tire to be delivered on Sunday.
I'm glad that I was prepared for this event, otherwise my Volt may have had to spend the weekend waiting at the dealer.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Be prepared prepared prepared peparted, the motto of a true Scout!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Be prepared prepared prepared peparted, the motto of a true Scout!

When I was a teenager, I and my group of friends thought that Tom Lehrer's Be Prepared was hilarious 8^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSwjuz_-yao

Some others we got a kick out of were Werner von Braun, When You Are Old And Grey and I Hold Your Hand In Mine.

The preparation the OP made paid off 100% on Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I still think a spare could be made to fit in the trunk. Only down side to owner my volt. Later aceinsp

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have been carrying around the spare, a jack and lug wrench since I went on my trip to Mount Rushmore / Devils Tower. I figured winter is a bad time to get a flat and with the snow plows metal parts will be on the road more.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still think a spare could be made to fit in the trunk. Only down side to owner my volt. Later aceinsp
Take a look at the underside of the Volt hatch area. There is lots of space where the safety triangle and first aid kit space is. They could have very easily lowered that area and put in a hidden spot for a compact spare.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Put me in with the Volt needs a real spare tire bunch.

The self-rescue pump and sticky-stuff just isn't up to real world challenges.

Got a flat today (Sunday morning) on the way to drop my wife off at the train station. Was heading west on I-264 toward Norfolk. Low tire pressure warning came on, and I watched as the pressure dropped from 28 psi to 18 psi by the time I found a good shoulder area to pull off.

Got out the car's pump, but decided I should have figured out how it works sometime earlier in daylight with less traffic. A VA motorist assistance truck's arrived as I was pondering the pump and he tried to fill the tire with his compressor. We were met with just an angry hissss, so I pressed the OnStar button. My wife called a cab who came out and found us on the interstate, so she made the next train.

OnStar had a flatbed tow truck out in about an hour and a half. Something about early Sunday morning problems finding a wrecker. They did locate a tire dealer that would be open by 9:00 am, so that's where I went.

Amazingly, the tire was repairable (see pictures) so all ended up well.

Does anyone make low rolling resistance runflats? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Put me in with the Volt needs a real spare tire bunch.

The self-rescue pump and sticky-stuff just isn't up to real world challenges.

Got a flat today (Sunday morning) on the way to drop my wife off at the train station. Was heading west on I-264 toward Norfolk. Low tire pressure warning came on, and I watched as the pressure dropped from 28 psi to 18 psi by the time I found a good shoulder area to pull off.

Got out the car's pump, but decided I should have figured out how it works sometime earlier in daylight with less traffic. A VA motorist assistance truck's arrived as I was pondering the pump and he tried to fill the tire with his compressor. We were met with just an angry hissss, so I pressed the OnStar button. My wife called a cab who came out and found us on the interstate, so she made the next train.

OnStar had a flatbed tow truck out in about an hour and a half. Something about early Sunday morning problems finding a wrecker. They did locate a tire dealer that would be open by 9:00 am, so that's where I went.

Amazingly, the tire was repairable (see pictures) so all ended up well.

Does anyone make low rolling resistance runflats? :confused:
Glad things worked out for you and you were able to keep the tire - which looks practically new!

The picture of the piece of metal next to the quarter shows the size very well. That piece is LARGE. Looks like it once was an auger bit for drilling large holes - the shaft is off-set from the flat part.

I assume that you normally keep your tires inflated at least 10 psi more than the 28 you mention.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
My jack and lug wrench fit nicely in the space for the triangle and first aid kit. I had to add a little foam to stop it from rattling around.
what about the tire/wheel assembly? That has to weight at least 40 pounds.

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about the tire/wheel assembly? That has to weight at least 40 pounds.
The Cadillac CTS compact spare is 22 pounds, but I don't carry it in the car unless I'm traveling out of town. Then it fits snugly behind one of the fronts seats on the floor.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
Might want to keep an extra large plastic bag back there too. Throwing a wet and dirty flat in the back could be messy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Achilles heel of all cars without a proper spare. Wish they would at least have a hatch well designed for one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts