GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always found the seats in our 2012 Volt to be fine around town, but on the highway they transform themselves into torture devices! My whole ribcage would ache after about 2 hours on the road. My wife isn't so afflicted, but she's very small. I'm about 5' 9", 140 lbs.... yeah, I'm small too.

I recently drove a new Ford Fiesta ST from Maryland to Ohio. The seats were standard issue, not the optional Recaro's. It didn't occur to me, until I got home, that the seat was very comfortable.
So I made a simple cardboard template to follow the contour of the Fiesta seat back, then positioned the template onto the Volt seat. The two seats have almost identical contours in the lower and mid sections, but the Volt seat falls away at the top, depriving my upper back of much needed support. (as it turned out)

I then cut down an old seat cushion (the cheap, easily compressed foam type) to 7" X 16", with a wedged profile to it, 2" at the top, tapering to about 3/4". I wrapped it in the seat cushion cover and stuck it in the volt (even with the top of the seat) with some two sided tape.

I just drove 1250 miles in sublime comfort! Hallelujah!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
When I first saw your post I assumed this was about lumbar support, which is what I want to improve.

Someone posted that all you need to do is put the back all the way back and pop open the bottom of the seat back, slip in some foam and seal it up. I wasn't fortunate to figure out how that happens tho.

Glad you got your seats fixed tho.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I'm 6' 180#. Both '13 Volt w/leather and '14 ELR are the best road cars I have ever driven. Seats are perfect for me. ELR especially.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Great fix! I love it! Congrats on your new comfortable seat. It is amazing how a little modification can make a big difference sometimes. I am fortunate that my 2013 fits me well, but if I owned a Gen 2, I would have to do something almost exactly like you have pictured. Those seats are a problem for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the bottom cushion is too flat or my @$$ is too big...LOL. I get a little uncomfortable after an hour or so drive. Got to say, the seats are sporty. If the bolsters where a little bigger, it'll be very similar to Recaros. Forgot to mention, I have the '14 leather seats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently read your post and was amazed! I have a 17 volt that is also equipped with torture devices for seats. After a few months of driving on my daily 1 hour commute in chicago the right side of my ribs began feeling like i had gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson. I suspected it was the seats and when the pain was becoming too much i began looking into replacing them. Then I read about your experience and tried putting a similar cushion on my seat. Well low and behold the pain in my ribs has mostly gone away. However now it seems like the pain has moved up into my lower neck and right shoulder area. I'm wondering how your fix has worked out over the last few months? Did you have to replace your seat or was the cushion all that you needed? Would love to know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The first time I drove my Volt home from the dealership, my lower back was in a world of pain. I felt like I was sitting in a clamshell. So I got a seat cushion to raise the bottom where it meets the back, and a $5. wire mesh lumbar support I got at my local Walgreens. Both problems were solved. I still don't like the stiff foam in the backrest, though. Yeah, I love my Volt, but the seats.......

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The Volt seats are the only ones I can drive over an hour in without experiencing lower back pain. They seem rather unsupportive but they work. Toyota is stiff, Integra was softer and more hugging. TR7 is softer than the others.

·
Administrator
20,183 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try putting an inflatable lumbar support in the map pocket behind the seat. You could even use a blood pressure cuff. It does stretch out the map pocket, but works great. I try to deflate it each day, and then re-inflate when needed (very easy).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts