GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been posted previously...did a quick check and found nothing similar
Likewise I could find nothing in the Manual

Picked up our 2017 Volt on May 2nd ~ Everything has been perfect

Tuesday morning, substantially loud whirring noise from the front..sounded like a car used to sound. Fan noise or something very similar

Dropped the car off at the Dealer this morning ~ No Abnormal noise found. Tech said the Fan noise was supposed to be there when you put the car "in gear". No sounds in Park or Neutral. Tech expressed surprise that for the first 5 weeks we heard nothing

Sound is the same using Electric or ICE

Am I the only one to "suddenly" notice a Fan noise?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sounds to me like you are hearing the pedestrian warning sound built into gen 2 Volts.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The noise you describe sounds to me like the low speed noise generator for pedestrian safety. The only time that I hear it is when I back into my garage with the windows open and the radio off. I can not hear it any other time from inside the cabin.

·
Registered
123 Posts
AC compressor?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yeah, maybe your air conditioning is coming on now from the warmer weather. That means it has to run the fan to keep you and the battery cool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had something similar last week. I had just parked my volt in the garage around noon and plugged it in to charge. I went back into the garage a few hours later and heard a fan noise. Inside the garage was fairly hot, so I figured it was the battery cooling system cooling the battery. I opened the garage door and a back door. Outside was cooler and when the garage cooled down the fan noise stopped.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've had my '17 Premier for a little over a month now. Imagine my surprise one day when my car was parked in the driveway plugged in and my son (who was playing basketball) came over to tell me that the car was running. When I went over to the car the fan was indeed running and eventually stopped on its own. I assumed it was cooling off the batteries seeing as we were in the midst of a heatwave at the time.

Even now, every so often when I have the car plugged in, I hear the fan running even though the car is supposedly "off".

-DJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am sorry, but you are definitely going insane. Strongly suggest you check into the nearest mental hospital. FedEx me your keys and let me know the location of your vehicle and I will take care of it for you while you are 'ill'...trust me....Nurse Rachet

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Even now, every so often when I have the car plugged in, I hear the fan running even though the car is supposedly "off".
This really isn't a new thing. I remember people telling me that I forgot to turn off my brand new 1976 VW Rabbit when I got out of the car because the radiator fan was still running. The Rabbit was one of the first cars with a transversely mounted engine, so the radiator ran off an electric fan instead of via a drive belt connected to the engine crankshaft. The radiator could run independently of the engine if the water temperature was still above the setpoint.

My current Prius C is prone to all sorts of clicks and whirrs when the car is turned off as various systems do their thing. It can be counted on to run the brake accumulator pump when you open the driver's side door as the car gets itself ready to be driven.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If the cooling fan or fans run non-stop even when the car is moving in temperate weather your car might be suffering from the issue I had with my 2014 Volt: a bad temperature sensor. In my case both cooling fans ran all the time and my car sounded like a leaf blower.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
This really isn't a new thing. I remember people telling me that I forgot to turn off my brand new 1976 VW Rabbit when I got out of the car because the radiator fan was still running. The Rabbit was one of the first cars with a transversely mounted engine, so the radiator ran off an electric fan instead of via a drive belt connected to the engine crankshaft. The radiator could run independently of the engine if the water temperature was still above the setpoint.

My current Prius C is prone to all sorts of clicks and whirrs when the car is turned off as various systems do their thing. It can be counted on to run the brake accumulator pump when you open the driver's side door as the car gets itself ready to be driven.
Same here.

Our Volvo has a circuit that activates to turn on the cabin fan to high for 10 minutes, 50 minutes after the vehicle is turned off, if the A/C has been used. It does so to prevent that musky smell that can develop if water is allowed to accumulate in the system. In a quiet setting [even outdoors] it sounds as if the vehicle is still on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Similar here.

If I shut off my Golf 2012 TDI in the middle of a DPF regen, I can end up with the engine fans running full out for 20+ minutes. Very first time it happened, even knowing it was coming, was a bit freaky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts