GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the offerings available for range-extended plug-in electric vehicles (REV's), Fisker and Tesla are GM's greatest threats. Toyota and Ford seem behind the 8 ball in their plans / offerings, and still haven't migrated to a configuration that is a serial hybrid / REV.

Fisker Automotive, http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/, and Tesla Motors, http://www.teslamotors.com/, are both offering REV's. The Fisker Karma is a high end sedan with European styling that will cost $80K, and Tesla just announced it would offer a less expensive range-extended version of their all electric sedan, codenamed Whitestar, to be produced in late 2009.

Bob Lutz stated that the Tesla Roadster was the impetus for GM to run flat out to develop the Chevy Volt, so it is ludicrous to claim the Chevy Volt has no competition.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The only thing is, they are targeting the luxury car market. Thus I don't see them as really being a competitor to the Volt. The Tesla might have been the impetus for the Volt, but that doesn't mean they are direct competitors. They are serving different segments of the ev market.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bigredfed,

Yes, you are quite correct that they are working both ends of the REV market, but they are rapidly working towards the middle. Tesla has stated that with each new model, they are aiming to make more affordable cars for mainstream markets, which is why they announced the gasoline range extender option for their next model, allowing them to further drop the price. At the same time, one GM exec announced that they may charge more than $30K, closer to $40K, for the Chevy Volt, since the waiting list has already hit 10,000.

I am not sure whether Fisker intends to develop cheaper models. If they are making good money at the high end, due to Fisker's unmatched styling, they should probably keep developing various luxury sedans, crossovers and SUV's for the well heeled customers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bigredfed,

Yes, you are quite correct that they are working both ends of the REV market, but they are rapidly working towards the middle. Tesla has stated that with each new model, they are aiming to make more affordable cars for mainstream markets, which is why they announced the gasoline range extender option for their next model, allowing them to further drop the price. At the same time, one GM exec announced that they may charge more than $30K, closer to $40K, for the Chevy Volt, since the waiting list has already hit 10,000.

I am not sure whether Fisker intends to develop cheaper models. If they are making good money at the high end, due to Fisker's unmatched styling, they should probably keep developing various luxury sedans, crossovers and SUV's for the well heeled customers.
Tesla has stated that Whitestar should sell for about $60- 70K so in a different market from the Volt.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NZDavid,

Tesla was pricing the Whitestar all electric for under $70K. Eberhard et al have admitted that reducing the battery pack from 200+ range to 40+ range would drop the cost from $20K per pack to $5K. Add $1K for cost of ICE range extender, and you've dropped the cost $14K. A sub $70K sedan would now be in the low to mid $50K range. As I stated in the previous post, GM is contemplating upping the Chevy Volt's price to $40K, because of the intense interest.

Now, I am defining the market as range extended electric vehicles. If you want to split hairs on price, body style - roadster, coupe, sedan, or whatever, knock yourself out, but it is clear that Fisker and Tesla are positioned to develop vehicles to compete directly with the Chevy Volt, Opel Flextreme and Cadillac Provoq, but no one else is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jason

I like Tesla's idea of having different size Battery packs/prices for the same vehicle.
I still think it will be their Version three model that will compete with the Volt.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason

I like Tesla's idea of having different size Battery packs/prices for the same vehicle.
I still think it will be their Version three model that will compete with the Volt.
I agree, except that I would be surprised if Tesla's third model is a two seater. I think it will be a vehicle like a Camry, as they are shying away from anything performance related (once bitten twice shy).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where is the Everyman PHEV ?

I think the idea of the Chevy Volt, Tesla, and other plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles (PHEVs) is very exciting - holding a lot of promise for the future and for our environment.

But where are the PHEVs that the average wage earner can afford, the EVERYMAN vehicle we have all been looking for? The Tesla is in the $100,000 range and the Volt's estimated MSRP has recently been hiked to $40,000 - with a 2011 release date. In 3 more years, the 40K estimate could easily be up to $60,000 or higher, due to unforseen engineering problems and/or the effects of inflation. :confused:

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the idea of the Chevy Volt, Tesla, and other plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles (PHEVs) is very exciting - holding a lot of promise for the future and for our environment.

But where are the PHEVs that the average wage earner can afford, the EVERYMAN vehicle we have all been looking for? The Tesla is in the $100,000 range and the Volt's estimated MSRP has recently been hiked to $40,000 - with a 2011 release date. In 3 more years, the 40K estimate could easily be up to $60,000 or higher, due to unforseen engineering problems and/or the effects of inflation. :confused:
I think, for the near term, the EVERYMAN will only be able to afford very small, high mileage ICE vehicles, like the Honda Civic, and other foreign small cars. Only after wealthy, early adopters have bought up the first hundress of thousands or millions of PHEV's, will the EVERYMAN be able to afford one. By then, Congress will have upped mileage standards again, taking them out of reach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts