GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
That has got to be digging in to Tesla's potential customer base. On another note, wouldn't it help GM to start taking customer reservations and deposits? Seriously. It would help with marketing as well as help determine demand. Stupid not to...

·
Registered
170 Posts
... On another note, wouldn't it help GM to start taking customer reservations and deposits? Seriously. It would help with marketing as well as help determine demand. Stupid not to...
GM will have to deal with the dealers if they do that, which Fisker doesn't have to do.

My only problem with boutique car marker is the after sales support. Let say I do go for a Fisker (which is tempting), who will support me in Canada?? With GM I don't have to worry about this.

I sure hope GM keep looking over its shoulder and plan to build a high end Volt (for Cadillac as an example).

·
Registered
151 Posts
GM will have to deal with the dealers if they do that, which Fisker doesn't have to do.

My only problem with boutique car marker is the after sales support. Let say I do go for a Fisker (which is tempting), who will support me in Canada?? With GM I don't have to worry about this.

I sure hope GM keep looking over its shoulder and plan to build a high end Volt (for Cadillac as an example).
There are too many start-ups for me to feel comfortable with. What happens if they go belly-up? Then you'd really have a hard time with support. There is no recourse with companies when they disappear. That's assuming you get your vehicle after a deposit. Yep, it's an appealing car with 10 extra EV miles--but you could buy TWO Volts and get them serviced and not worry a tenth about bankruptcy, warranties, etc.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave B,

I think it's pretty obvious that Tesla Motors and Fisker Automotive are prime acquisition targets, so they should and will sell out before ever going under. At this point, it seems likely that they will continue to earn money at even greater clips, so they may prove viable, while EV laggards fall (talking to you, Ford).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would still both of them come up with a clear plan on how they intend to support clients.

For Telsla, they sure launched a nice outlet, but it's only one. As for Fisker being based in Europe and most of their sales being in North America, again what kind of network are they going to have/use? High end car dealers (Ferrari, Lotus, etc..)?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dave B,

I think it's pretty obvious that Tesla Motors and Fisker Automotive are prime acquisition targets, so they should and will sell out before ever going under. At this point, it seems likely that they will continue to earn money at even greater clips, so they may prove viable, while EV laggards fall (talking to you, Ford).
I'm not as confident. I would have said the same thing about Freddie and Fannie a couple years ago... And how can you lose on a sub prime mortgage rate? ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Given that Fisker's Tier 1 supplier is also the Tier 1 supplier to GM and others would make it an obvious pick-up for GM.
You're not suggesting GM would want to acquire Fisker, are you?

They've already developed the E-REV internally and independently. They seem to want to do it all themselves without a start-up. Now Ford and Chrysler could really afford to strike a deal with a Fisker or Tesla.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're not suggesting GM would want to acquire Fisker, are you?

They've already developed the E-REV internally and independently. They seem to want to do it all themselves without a start-up. Now Ford and Chrysler could really afford to strike a deal with a Fisker or Tesla.
Any automaker would benefit from picking up Fisker's nameplate and designs, beyond the underlying tech of Quantum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting thought to sell out... somehow I don't think that is in the cards for Fisker, but I have been wrong before. As demand and production go up, more models will be available and costs will drop for production. It would be nice to think that the price will also drop. Owning anything Fisker designed is a desirable dream.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting thought to sell out... somehow I don't think that is in the cards for Fisker, but I have been wrong before. As demand and production go up, more models will be available and costs will drop for production. It would be nice to think that the price will also drop. Owning anything Fisker designed is a desirable dream.
I don't think it is Fisker's desire to sell out, but I believe either Ford or GM will make an offer they can't refuse.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would like GM to buyout Fisker, personally.

Jason is right, the technology and design would be valuable to anyone. Not to mention that the Karma is a beautiful car. A fantastic design. I could see that car or a close relative of it becoming the next GM high end EV or E-REV.

That way they could give the Vette a champions retirement, keep it pure to its heritage and supporters, an unveil a new exciting replacement. I could imagine the Karma as a EV or E-REV generation Vette replacement.

It sure is a sleek and elegant car. Nothing like what many of those on the forum claim the Volt must look like to be "optimized".

Plus it keeps the technology away from Ford, Toyota, etc. Gives them more tech avenues to look at and work with. Sounds like a win - win to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Or Ford could just hire Fisker to design the Volt for them. I, for one, put my deposit on the Karma in April because of 25% fuel efficiency and 75% design. I would have easily purchased the Volt if it looked even 10% as nice as the Karma does.

Why do all Hybrids have to "look" futuristic? I think it's just silly. If Ford designs something that has an appealing look to it and not just good hybrid specs, I would consider getting my deposit back from Fisker and waiting for the Ford unit.

As an aside, I read an article somewhere saying that the Q-Drive used in the Karma is already being used for military applications, but the reason most car manufacturers bypassed this as a "off the shelf" drive train was because it didn't fit into the standard vehicles they are already producing. Fisker designed the Karma around that bulky drive train and bypassed that problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK, I can see the light. As Fisker is going over seas for the first production run, one of the closed GM facilities could be very useful for other models like a roadster. But if GM did buy Fisker, then Mr. Fisker would deserve to be a top dog in GM design. The vette is not ready to retire yet, however there is plenty of room for some well designed cars and Fisker is the best of the best! While they are at it, take a look at Quantum Technologies too. More importantly, get this E-FLEX platform going at full speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts