GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our 2018 Volt LT in late November in what has been, until a couple days ago, a very mild winter here in upstate NY. No longer. We just had our first real storm, extreme even for us--a foot of snow followed by a glaze of ice; -5 F, winds 40-45 MPH. So a new experience for our Volt. We haven't driven it (or much of anything else) for 3 days. By necessity it is always outside in the driveway and plugged in.

The first morning, the charging "nozzle" was stuck in the port. I had to use a hair dryer as others here have described. Took about 2 minutes to free it, and then several more to get all the ice off the nozzle, which had become encased with a thin layer.

Tonight went out to get it ready for my wife to drive to work tomorrow. One annoying thing, just like my Honda Insight--if there is snow on the roof near where it joins the door, when you open the door a heap of snow is drawn inside, in tongiht's case onto the driver seat.

Started up OK. A lot of ERDTT of course. Coolant temp went from 5 F to 140s within a couple minutes. Took about 45 minutes to get enough ice off to make driving possible, but that's not unique to the Volt; we worked just as long as our ICE cars.

We will see what tomorrow brings; -2 F overnight, 23 F tomorrow.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
The first morning, the charging "nozzle" was stuck in the port. I had to use a hair dryer as others here have described. Took about 2 minutes to free it, and then several more to get all the ice off the nozzle, which had become encased with a thin layer.

Tonight went out to get it ready for my wife to drive to work tomorrow. One annoying thing, just like my Honda Insight--if there is snow on the roof near where it joins the door, when you open the door a heap of snow is drawn inside, in tongiht's case onto the driver seat.

The guy who makes the air intake grill and the cargo deck for the Volt also makes a "charge port cozy" that prevents snow and ice buildup. https://voltshelf.weebly.com/voltport-charge-port-koozie.html

As far as snow above the door, there are snow scrapers that have brushes on them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
. . .
As far as snow above the door, there are snow scrapers that have brushes on them.
;) that's a good one.

The trouble is, we, like most people, keep their snow brushes *inside* the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I keep mine in the back (trunk area). When there's a few inches on the car I open the back hatch a few inches to get my arm in and grab the brush, then close the hatch. Essentially no snow enters the back of the car. I brush things off and am off to the races.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
;) that's a good one.

You need two, one for inside the car (for traveling) and one for inside the garage (that is filled with other things). It's been a long time since I used a snow brush (it's inside the garage somewhere) but I'm guessing you can buy them at the Dollar Store?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yup, I have several scraper/brushes and definitely keep at least one hanging just inside the garage for that reason. I also always clear off the car as soon as it stops snowing, even if I don't need to use it then. That allows the sun to finish cleaning up much of the remaining ice that the scraper/brush missed.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
A good push-broom works well, too. And fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts