GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2017 Premier Volt. I hit a big rock on the freeway that rolled into my path after another car in front of me hit it, so I had no time to react. Anyway, it created bubble into each of the two right tires. So I brought the car to the dealer and told me that I can safely drive it for 5,000 more miles. That distance is up. And so I had all my tires replaced, and decided on the Continental TrueContact

http://www.continentaltire.com/product/truecontact-21555r17-94t/?

And there's a running discussion on it here:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?262705-Continental-True-Contact-w-Eco-Plus-Running-review

The stock tires that came with my Chevy Volt is Michelin A/S.

The new tires only lessened the road noise slightly and it doesn't squeal easily if I floor it. So far been very satisfied with the way it handles. I still have to evaluate it during the rains.

And here's the actual loss of efficiency in the first run compared to my old stock tires. Since I only traveled 45 miles, I used the MPGe readings

Loss of range = (118 MPGe - 112 MPGe)/118 MPGe x 100% = 5.1% loss.

Which is not bad. Perhaps another 2,000 miles and it would be back to the same efficiency.

The tire shop told me that my other two stock tires are still good for another 5,000 miles and so I kept them and will use them as spare for long trips. Will just have to purchase wheel from car recyclers.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2nd Trip, 160 miles on new tires, 109 MPGe, foggy conditions... wet roads...

Loss of range = (118-109)/119 = 7.6%

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3rd Trip, 60 additional miles, new tires. 87 MPGe, 3 persons, with cabin heater on, wet roads...

Loss of range = (118-87)/118 = 26.2%

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I noticed now is that if I make a tight turn, the tires are scraping the splash guards or the sidewall of the car!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have followed the threads on tires to prepare for my tire replacement on my 2017 Volt and it seems the True Contacts are a great option for Gen 1. I do not know much about tires, tires sizes, etc, however I did see that tire rack says that this tire is not available for the 2017 Volt. This may be why the tires are scraping? Hopefully a more knowledgable tire person can weigh in on this.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another trip today, the roads are wet after the rains, mostly freeway driving, everyone's slow, doing only 51-57 mph. 2 passengers, no heat and we did great.

Improvement over old tires = (121 MPGe-118 MPGe)/118 MPGe = 2.5% range improvement....

Seems like it really does have a good grip on wet roads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts