GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been lurking anonymously for years on here and am finally in a position to getting a Volt.

I'm seeking some rough Guidelines on a 2014 Used Volt from the community. I'm likely going to be getting a Volt through Carvana and I've read they sometimes don't have everything listed correctly.

I'd like to confirm a few things.

1) What is the best way to determine the engine vs battery usage? Generally speaking is it better to have more wear on the ICE or the Batteries? I feel like the consensus is GM overbuilt the crap out of the Gen1, and so more Battery use is favorable to the ICE, but looking for opinions.

2) Finding what Option packages a used Volt has can be difficult it seems. I'm wanting to confirm that if you get a 2014 Premium with the Navigation, does that include the Bose Sound system?

I was really on the fence about getting a new Base Model 2017, but the numbers on a used Volt make more sense for me financially, and I'm not comfortable trying to lease one at this time.

I'm noticing a used Premium Volt will have all the bells and whistles but with a pretty reduced cost.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Due to pricing dynamics I would strongly suggest you just search cars/autotrader/etc and keep your model year open.
Volts are so reliable there is very little advantage to ICE VRS electric wear.
Also there really is no option advantage to the 2014 model year that you won't get on a 2013, and older cars (2012/11), though missing hold are said to have more comfortable seats a hard drive and other stuff that was dropped later.

The sweet spot for Volt pricing is usually 2012/2013,
2011's are sky high and 2014's tend to trend several thousand (or more) than a 2013 of the same specs/miles,
(meaning you might as well buy a 2015 with the bigger battery, since its about the same price as a 2014)

The price spread changes weekly if your patient the stars might align for you but I would keep your mind open.

In my case I am looking for the cheapest non-accident volt of any year but none in my price range nearby have happened yet, but in my mind the volt is so reliable that a 100,000 mile car is no issue if the price reflects the miles, sadly a lot of dealers must be hitting the pipe a tad hard. I have kicked myself everyday on missing out on a few in the low $6XXX area (both 2012's with miles)

Ah well

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
depends a bit on where the car was driven (winters affect this a bit) but for most volts use this

lifetime gasoline (generator) miles = 34*odometer/lifetime MPG.

odometer is the number on the lower left of the drivers instrument display, Lifetime MPG shows up on one of the center screens if you push the leaf key a couple of times. for people in milder climates, the 34 number should be higher. For me in new England, this is nearly exactly correct.

the generator engine wears like any other gasoline Internal combustion engine- take care of it and maintain it properly and it should not be prohibitively expensive to run for 5000 hours at moderate throttle settings. The battery has not been a problem for nearly anyone, I expect 6,000-8000 full cycles should not be a problem for it, given that the full cycle in the volt goes from 20% SOC to 90% SOC (approximately) BUT that is just a guess, and the oldest, highest use volts are just approaching 3500 cycles now My guess is that there is lab data in a notebook somewhere at the GMTC that has the real answer.

The suspension will wear as with any other car and should be maintained- new struts and links and rubber parts every 100,000 miles. The great unknown is the drive unit, which has several clutches deep within it. They are supposed to be pretty well managed with the control doing a lot of speed matching between the clutching elements, so they may last essentially forever, but your guess is as good as mine on whether that works out or not.

Finally there are the brakes. gentle drives tell us they are seeing no wear at all. I am not a gentle driver, and I will likely replace my rear pads at 60,000 miles. but my front pads show no obvious wear.

Bose and navigation were separate in independent options. neither essential to the driving experience. Navigation map updates are expensive- the Bose sound is reported to be good, but not "GREAT". most gen 1 owners think that "safety1" is essential, it includes the backup camera. Safety II is fun, but not essential. in the winter, heated seats, available as a separate option on 2013-2015, are very important. Hold, included on all 2013-2015 is fun and helpful.

good luck

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I can help to a degree on your options. I spent several months searching for mine ('13) and learned how to narrow my search down somewhat by using the VIN. There is actually a post on here that describes it but the gist of it is that the 5th character in the VIN denotes if it's leather/nav/both/neither and if it's AT-PZEV compliant for CA carpool stickers.

If your looking at a non-PZEV look for C or D. For nav (will have Bose as it's required for the nav package) with cloth it will be a C, and it will be a D for nav and leather. If your looking at a compliant model, it will be the same except use G and H in the 5th position. However, Bose is available without nav, and that does not reflect in the VIN. I used the VIN to help in my search because I was able to quickly determine with 100% certainty that a vehicle had the Bose radio if it had the nav VIN code.

As for the safety packages, unfortunately those can't be determined by VIN alone but are of course obvious by the presence of sensors in the bumpers. If you know someone who sells car insurance, I've been told they can look up all the safety features available on a particular car based on the VIN, so they can apply discounts for those features. If you don't have clear pictures or details about a vehicle your looking at then perhaps that might be an option to determine if it has the features you're looking for before contacting the seller.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Absent any written documentation you may find on a particular vehicle, photos should tell you all you need. If equipped with Nav look at the center stack for the Nav button, look at the front doors for the BOSE Logo on the speakers. Look at the steering wheel for FCA buttons, obviously leather is leather, high polished wheels etc.

Like they say a photo is worth a thousand words. And if in doubt post up the link to the car and I'm sure the collective brain power here can help determine what options are on your vehicle.

And good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth...

Used car dealers (and Carvana in particular) do a TERRIBLE job in documenting what makes a specific Volt different than all the other Volts.

They seem to want to sell it like any other used car. They list the features that ALL Volts have and nothing about what options THIS Volt has.

If they take pictures, four of them are of the tires and one is the open hood. Almost never is there a pic of the lifetime MPG screen and/or backup camera display.

Usually you can tell if the seats are leather and if the console has the heated seats buttons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree with Jon. I reserved a '13 on Carvana that was still going through make ready. It was listed as Premium but when all the details were available it changed to Base. WTF? The price was posted so SOMEBODY within the org knew the trim level and options cuz you need those to price the car! Also Carvana listings show the '13 and '14 Volt taking regular unleaded. I've pointed the error out to them multiple times but they haven't changed their listings.

CarMax isn't much better. They have multiple '13 listed with a gray interior. Also they don't distinguish between the tricoat white and the summit white. At least they do a better job than Carvana of listing the correct options.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention what was on that silver 2014 Volt - it was fully loaded with Nav and both safety packages. All black interior leather. It was purchased in Illinois in the summer before we moved to Tennessee, so it never saw a Chicago winter and all that salt. However, it does have a front license plate frame because it was purchased in Illinois. The only problem it ever had was a heater duct air leak which was temporarily fixed by the dealer with duct tape. I never had the duct replaced under warranty because I didn't get around to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone who posted.

I've expanded my search to the 2013, and will see what I can find. I'm ready to purchase when I find the right car, now its just a matter of that..

The information about the VIN was really neat, and is helping me narrow the search down as well. MAkes you wish the VIN had all the option packages built into it for everyone's sake....

Once I find a Volt I'll be sure to let you know :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts