GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am studying to get my license and thinking the car I want is the chevy volt. are there any things I should know as a new car owner and a owner of a new volt? my brother was saying that his brother in law who works on cars sees a lot of volts that have issues with the steering getting locked after the battery dies. however I have not seen any mention of this online.

any info on that particular issue and anything else you guys think I should know?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
so I am studying to get my license and thinking the car I want is the chevy volt. are there any things I should know as a new car owner and a owner of a new volt? my brother was saying that his brother in law who works on cars sees a lot of volts that have issues with the steering getting locked after the battery dies. however I have not seen any mention of this online.

any info on that particular issue and anything else you guys think I should know?
Your brother's brother-in-law has seen a lot of instances of something that has never been reported by the many Volt owners in this forum. I wonder how we all missed it?

As a greenback/loonie troll all I would advise is that you be sure you really can afford a Volt as a first car, if you are thinking about a new one. There do seem to be good deals on used ones, and Gen1 Volts have proven to be exceptionally reliable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not that expensive. however I want the driver convenience package 2 so I have to find out if that is available as an option in the LT.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
its not that expensive. however I want the driver convenience package 2 so I have to find out if that is available as an option in the LT.
Nope, any driver confidence packages only come on Premier trims.

edit: oh wait, sounds like you are talking about a Gen 1? My post is in reference to 2016+ Volts.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
The only thing that remotely resembles this description was a technical service bulletin where driving for long periods of time on stretches of straight highways might make the steering wheel hard to turn when you do indeed come to a sharp turn. I don't recall what the solution for that was, but the locked steering is an exaggeration. It's supposed to be more like the center point is a bit harder to steer through, but it works itself out once you make a lot of city traffic turns. This was on a gen 1 and not the gen 2 and I believe it was fixed with some procedure. I've never experienced it, just read the bulletin when it came out.

As for anything else... I wouldn't buy a new anything unless you had the cash to buy the car outright. It's really easy to think you can make the payments if you are borrowing or leasing, but that is all adding risk to your future earnings. So as greenback troll #1 I agree with fyodor, consider a heavily discounted used car over new unless you can find the deal of the decade on new. There might be some remaining new 2014s and 2015s on dealer lots. Even some 2016s are getting 20% off these days. And if you can possibly wait until fall of 2017 I predict steep discounts as the tesla model 3 and Chevy Bolt will cause the volt sales to plummet to all-time lows. If you can possibly hold off the pleasure of a new car now, you will very likely be financially rewarded. And resist the urge to lease and repeat getting a new car every 3 years. Cars last much longer than that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. The issue I was referring too were on gen 1s his company has a whole fleet of them. As too all of the details I'm not sure.

This would be my first car and I'm not the type of person who has the patience to wait :p. In technology theres always discounts and things if you can wait for the new model. I can actually get a pretty good deal on a car note at either 1% or very low interest through my credit union.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was asking about the gen 2. My brothers has all those fancy autonomous features on his civic and they are awesome.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Civic with sensing are by far the best deal on the market, MSRP of $20400 with folks getting an out the door sales price lower than that...

Volt will start at just over $40K with all those assistance features but in mass you'd get $2500 from the state, $7500 federal however you have to qualify and have enough tax liability to qualify...When you say first car, I'd guess there's a 50/50 chance you won't qualify for the full $7500 so you may need to look into leasing...However, lenders tend to be the most picky with lease vs purchasers so a co-signer may be an option...

Test drive one, see if you like it and than figure out what you think your tax liability would be are your best next steps...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts