GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today we took our first trip in the Volt to our vacation home in the mountains. Our place is at 5000 feet in the Sierras and it's a bit over 200 miles here.

All I can say is wow, this thing is even better on a long trip than it has been around town the last couple of months. It had no trouble at all going up and over Pacheco pass at 65-70 mph. It's fairly short, but pretty steep in places. And it climbed up into the Sierras effortlessly, even with around 250 pounds of gear in the back. I used MM and it did a great job of conserving enough battery to supplement the engine on steep grades to keep the speed up.
Super stable and quiet cruising I-5 also.

And the best part-only burned around 5 gallons of gas! I would have burned about 14 gallons in my truck, especially as the traffic getting out of town was a killer due to the Concourse D'Elegance being in town.

Followed a Veyron down highway 68 until it evaporated with a burst of speed that was amazing.

Anyway, the Volt is an amazing car and just keeps getting better the more I get to know it.

Steve

·
Registered
976 Posts
I went through the Smokies and Appalachian mountains in VA and WV Monday on a 650 mile trip, and I got the reduced power message for the first time ever in the 65,000 miles on my Volt. I was pushing it hard, and I didn't think I needed mountain mode per past trips. I was still doing 74 MPH when I had to slow down for a toll booth. The reduced power message went away and didn't come back, so I guess I was right on the edge of needing MM.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for sharing these. I always enjoy reading up on how the Volt handles long road trips, since i'm a fan of such trips and have always been curious how it'll work even beyond it's charged state. :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have done 4 trips recently from columbus oh to baltimore.. out I-68.. the top peak is 3000 feet so short compared to the west..
I have tried a couple different configs and found that performance is BEST when i use my HOLD button and have at least 10 miles of battery power left...

the first time I went i started with a full pack.. then switched from Hold to SPort just before each long hill climb.. and then back to Hold at the bottom of the hill.. and interestingly enough I got WORSE fuel economy then if I used my battery in town, or traffic jams and then of course used up the remaining just as I reached the destination..

my BEST runs were using HOLD mode saving the battery as I mentioned above.. and letting the Volt computers do its thing in the mountains using the cruise control...

the one run I did with a dead pack in the mountains I got a reduced power message for a breif moment but I was still going 70 MPH and just at the top of a peak.. I guess re-genning down the other side gave me enoiugh for the rest of the trip...

-Christopher

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The Volt is a fantastic long-distance cruiser. It feels so solid, stable, and relaxing, but also nimble. It could use a little more insulation from tire and suspension noise to be truly superb (too bad there's no Buick version!), and I'd like a little better sound system (the Volt's version of the Bose system is good but not great), but it is among the best highway cars I've ever experienced.

The other great thing about it is the lack of gear hunting in hilly and mountainous terrain. Set cruise and put it in L, and your speed is pretty much locked in for uphill and downhill.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Great report. One fun thing is that going down adds miles, which still strikes me as magic. It's like starting with a quarter tank of gas and ending with half a tank.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Carmelsteve, glad you are enjoying the VOLT everyday and on trips too. The great thing about the VOLT is it can go any distance if needed. Nothing like driving one to see it really is a car that does not let one down.

Volt11, as for less noise I am sure the ELR as a coupe with an enclosed cabin will be much quieter from road surface noise. I know a main road I often travel on was recently resurfaced and the blacktop surface is nice and smooth and so quiet to drive on not. Also, as you commented on it is nice to not have those "gears" on conventional cars where the car downshifts and upshifts on hilly roads. Nothing like the smoothness of the VOLT to make hilly driving even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Our family of five took Votlie and 2 Blue from Milwaukee to Atlanta and back. Two Volts beat our minivan for space,comfort,and mileage. We couldn't plug in at the Atlanta hotel, but could on the camping part of the trip. I think Expedia and other sites like them should add plug in availability to their information. This would save sooo much on calling ahead and planning a trip.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Great report. One fun thing is that going down adds miles, which still strikes me as magic. It's like starting with a quarter tank of gas and ending with half a tank.
Yes! After going down the long grade on I-77 southbound in Virginia, just north of NC, I pulled off into the NC welcome / rest area, and when I turned my Volt back on, it went back into EV mode with 3 miles range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll also put in a good word for "just set it in Hold mode and go". I make routine drives of 160 miles each way (which has killed my stats, but that's OK), and after a lot of the switching back and forth I finally realized that just letting the car do the work was usually best. I favor L mode so the cruise control can keep the same speed downhill within 1-2 MPH. When I get on the highway, I kick on Hold, drive with the ICE, then switch back to standard mode as I come off the exit ramp. I don't even worry about 'burning' my excess battery reserves, as I may need them once I get into town.

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
The ability to do trips like this are due to the Volt's dual fuel capability. Get in and go. The thing Elon Musk derides as "amphibian" is one of the reasons Volt owners (including me) love their Volts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ahh Carmel. Last time I was there I was almost sandwiched between a McLaren MP4-12C and a Bentley Continental GT. The McLaren wouldn't let me over while the Bentley was trying to merge on the on-ramp between Carmel and Monterey. My poor Prius couldn't compete so I hit the brakes and watched them zoom away..... It was beautiful.

I'm impressed with the Volt on long distance trips too. My fuel economy is not as good as my Prius on such long trips through the mountains but it's still awesome!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Instead of starting another "First Road Trip" thread, I'll just tag onto this one. My wife & I just finished our first trip in the Volt and I'll say "wow!" too. It performed flawlessly on the 950 miles r/t from Montgomery, AL to Louisville, KY using only 24 gallons of fuel. While we were in town we were all electric, charging each night at our friends' house. By contrast, if we'd taken our Element, we'd have used about 41 gallons not including "around town" gas. So, $90 vs. ~$133

39.5 mpg is a little lower than others are getting, but we were rolling along at 75-77 mph most of the time, since speed limits are 70 except when transiting Birmingham and Nashville. This car impresses us more every day, even with only 2,000 miles on the clock...

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm so jealous of you guys, my Volt hasn't even seen a mountain since I got it in march 2011. But I like to read about how it drives the passes and elevation. Maybe one day, I will get to use Mountain Mode lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
The Volt is a fantastic long-distance cruiser. It feels so solid, stable, and relaxing, but also nimble. It could use a little more insulation from tire and suspension noise to be truly superb (too bad there's no Buick version!), and I'd like a little better sound system (the Volt's version of the Bose system is good but not great), but it is among the best highway cars I've ever experienced.

The other great thing about it is the lack of gear hunting in hilly and mountainous terrain. Set cruise and put it in L, and your speed is pretty much locked in for uphill and downhill.
I agree the cruise holds the speed very well, at least with the little hills we have here in north Texas. What I do find,is often guys in pickups or big rigs want to speed up on the down hills and then slow down going up. They get mad when they're behind me as I hold speed steady wile regen on the down slope.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went to Evergreen Colorado from Livonia Michigan and my Volt was awesome. I averaged about 45 mpg on gas except for the charge when I left and I charged it at the house I was working at a couple of times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts