GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for some time, ans all of the information available from other owners emboldened me to buy a new 2015 Volt (Crystal Red) in Sept. 2015! For me, it's kind of a "bucket list" purchase, and so far, I don't regret the purchase at all. I have a very short drive to work/stores/relatives, and the Volt is the perfect solution for those short jaunts - I've been using Hold mode deliberately to get some hours on the engine to make sure all systems are functioning (so far, so good!).

I'm posting mainly to thank the forum members for being so forthcoming with info and ideas, that not only made the Volt purchase possible, but helped me with a minor issue (which I'll post in a more appropriate sub-forum).

Thanks, again!

Shakervolt

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome aboard! Smart idea to force the ICE on in case there are warranty issues (which are rare, I'm happy to say). I hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Welcome aboard, just a tip, since I knew I would operate my Volt(s) for weeks without the ICE I opted to change our oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic. And when I do run the ICE I believe it's smoother and more efficient and I know it's protected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering the valves/pumps/sensors, etc. in the ICE cooling system loop, it can't hurt to "exercise" them periodically (though I hate burning gas like most others here) :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For now, I'm going to go with the (free oil change) Dexos stuff from the dealer - I will consider Mobil 1, as long as it wouldn't violate the warranty. after 8 months of ownership, my oil life is @ 66%, and the oil looks OK - but a quick sniff of the dipstick revealed a gasoline odor; probably due to blow-by as the ICE is not reaching full operating temperature (excessive piston ring clearances when cold), especially in Maintenance Mode.

Too bad that the range extender couldn't be a gas turbine, eh?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts