GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I just did the first oil change on my 2015 Volt.

Some observations:

1) The car needs to be jacked up. Make sure you know where to put the jacks (Google it).
2) The car feels heavier than my other cars (Prius, Yaris). No big deal.
3) The oil filter takes a standard cap wrench ("B" size).
4) The drain plug uses a rubber gasket that I bet you could reuse.
5) The tightening spec for the plug is 14 Newton-Meters (10.3 Foot Pounds, 124 Inch Pounds). It's just snug, and not very tight.
6) This is the biggest item: When I went to my local Chevy dealer to buy the new gasket, they told me that they don't sell just the gasket - they sell the plug with that gasket. About $20 out the door. Sooooo - if you're going to be doing your own oil changes, buy a box of 10 gaskets (Rock Auto sells them) and you'll have a lifetime supply.
7) After you do the change, you'll want to run the engine to get the oil circulated. Pop the hood and put it into "READY" mode for a minute or so.

Overall, there isn't much special different changing the oil in the Volt from changing the oil in any other car. The filter's accessible, the drain plug's accessible. If you're comfortable changing your own oil, the Volt shouldn't scare you. On the other hand, if you're NOT comfortable changing your own oil, the Volt won't make it any easier.

And, don't forget to reset the oil life monitor. How to is in the manual.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
1) The car needs to be jacked up. Make sure you know where to put the jacks (Google it).

I agree that changing the oil in the Gen1 Volt is easy. Kudos to you for burning the calories in performing your own regular vehicle maintenance!;)

I prefer to just roll-up onto low-profile ramps when I get around to changing the oil in my Volt!;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I prefer to just roll-up onto low-profile ramps when I get around to changing the oil in my Volt!;)
Those would be quicker, safer, and easier than using the jacks (and jackstands). But, I already have the jacks and jackstands and it's by no means difficult to do it that way either.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Please bear with the attempted humor here....

I've had 2 oil changes on my 2014 Volt.

Some observations:

1) The Starbucks coffee in the lounge is horrible.
2) I had to adjust the driver's seat in the Corvette with the door open. I can't jam my arm between the seat and the door.
3) My wife keeps circling the Trax.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The Volt is by far the easiest vehicle I've ever changed the oil on. Ironically, it also needs the fewest oil changes.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I just drive my Volts up two staggered 2x6s. Plenty of room to reach up from the front.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I just drive my Volt to the dealer for free oil changes the first two years.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
After that I get coupons from them that makes the oil change cost less than buying the oil and filter retail. And I get a free tire rotation and all other fluids checked and topped off. They want to get me hooked on their service department. Nice bunch of guys really. Too bad the coffee stinks.... :D

Nice! Exactly how many oil change(s) would that be!?:confused:
I had 2 of them over 2 years. Is that wrong?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You clearly like your dealer better than I like my dealer. No matter what I have done, it takes a minimum of 2 hours. Last time they did the tire rotation, they forgot to tell the car that the wheels had moved. I bought the tpms relearn tool and did it myself instead of wasting another 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You clearly like your dealer better than I like my dealer. No matter what I have done, it takes a minimum of 2 hours. Last time they did the tire rotation, they forgot to tell the car that the wheels had moved. I bought the tpms relearn tool and did it myself instead of wasting another 2 hours.
Not sure why certain people feel the need to try to off-topic on other folks posts when successfully performing their own vehicle maint.

I am so glad people are 'happy' with GM service dept oil changes, ect. but that wasn't the point of the OPs post...

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
So how many miles did you go before the oil change?

My first oil change was at something like 24k miles. That's just plain weird to me as I used to change between 3k and 5k miles on my other cars. Although I'm perfectly capable of changing my own oil, for brand new cars, I have the dealership change the oil while it's on the power train warrantee. That way, if the engine blows, it's on them not me. a close friend of mine blew and engine in a Chrysler Conquest, and Chrysler said it was a low oil condition and didn't replace the engine. He could not produce sufficient receipts between dealership visits, jiffy lube visits, and DYI changes. I figure it's a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

Another coworker brought his car to a jiffy lube once, and upon leaving the oil filter popped off and left oil gushing in the street. He limped the car back to the jiffy lube and all they would do was replace the filter and give him a future free oil change. Alas, the car didn't last that long after that catastrophic event. He probably could have sued and won, but the car wasn't worth very much, so it wasn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
a close friend of mine blew and engine in a Chrysler Conquest, and Chrysler said it was a low oil condition and didn't replace the engine. He could not produce sufficient receipts between dealership visits, jiffy lube visits, and DYI changes. I figure it's a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

I also keep my 'receipts' for oil & filter changes I performed on my Volt over at https://my.chevrolet.com !;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
You most certainly do not need to replace the gasket or drain plug for an oil change! I seem to remember an embedded O- ring in the drain plug (been so long since I did the last oil change)!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have done 3 oil and filter changes on my 2012 all @ 19,000 mile intervals and have never changed the O ring, I just wipe it down good after all the oil has drained off and put it back in and it has not leaked yet.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
7) After you do the change, you'll want to run the engine to get the oil circulated. Pop the hood and put it into "READY" mode for a minute or so.
The primary reason for running the engine is to check for leaks. Whether you start it now or a month from now, the oil will get circulated on first start.

Otherwise a good "how-to".

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
ECOTECs with a rubber gasket on the plug do not need to be changed (unless the gasket tears or something, obviously).
It's only engines that use a crush washer that need a new one every time (which I don't think any GM model does).

Used the factory plug and gasket on my old car all the way up until I sold it at 10 years. No leaks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts