GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Volt with 3K miles, 2K with the ICE. I usually change the oil on a new car early, possible issues with manufacturing debris or contaminants but mostly just curiosity about the car. I plan on following the GM recommendations for oil changes - "Every 24 months or when the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message displays."

Pretty straight forward:
- usually use a vacuum to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube but the Volt has a baffle that prevents that
- drive the car in "HOLD" to warm the engine
- car in Park and parking brake applied on level ground & rear wheels chocked
- jack from both sides at specified front locations (inexpensive Walmart floor jacks) & insert jack stands
- drain plug is 15mm and the filter is ACDelco UPF64R; access around filter is limited so I used a 70mm cup tool
- refilled with 4.2 qt. Mobil 1 5W-20; when using a 5 qt. container, under fill a bit as it's easier to add than drain
- drive around for a few miles, re-jack and check the filter and drain plug
- reset the engine oil life system; @REMAINING OIL LIFE on the DIC, press & hold the "check" center button

·
Registered
348 Posts
My 2015 volt uses dexos1
5w30. Pretty sure the gen2 does the same
GM has you changing the oil twice a year,and this includes tire rotations
And GM is paying for this

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The 2016 Volt engine uses either 0W20 or 5W20 Synthetic oil. I believe this oil, at least Mobil One, is Dexos 1 rated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2015 volt uses dexos1
5w30. Pretty sure the gen2 does the same
GM has you changing the oil twice a year,and this includes tire rotations
And GM is paying for this
Alfon is correct, either 0W-20 or 5W-20 Dexos 1 rated - the Mobil 1 meets that spec. And the changes are every 24 months, not twice a year.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Changing. the oil before the recommended time will not lengthen the life of the engine, but will cost you more money. Follow GM's recommendations only (forget your past practices). My two previous GM vehicles lasted 26 and 21 years with no engine repairs by followimg the GM schedule and using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The Volt's engine can last over 30 years!

·
Registered
348 Posts
My Chevy dealer told me in person to bring my volt in every 6 months for service/tire rotations
He said that GM foots the bill for the first 24 months
Then my dealer continues this for lifetime that I own my volt free of charge

·
Registered
13,623 Posts
Well there's 4.2 quarts of Dino juice wasted. Don't do that again. Modern engines are built with such good tolerances nowadays, you don't need to change the oil right away. My first oil change was around 22k miles.

·
Administrator
20,183 Posts
No need to change the oil until the car tells you or 2 years, whichever comes first. But if you want to do it every 3k miles as a hobby, go ahead. It won't hurt anything except your wallet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Chevy dealer told me in person to bring my volt in every 6 months for service/tire rotations
He said that GM foots the bill for the first 24 months
Then my dealer continues this for lifetime that I own my volt free of charge
Many Chevy dealers are blissfully unaware of the Volt and its needs. Page 316 of the Volt manual states "Every 24 months or when the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message displays, change the engine oil and filter as soon as possible, within the next 1,000 km/600 mi. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once every 24 months."

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
On both Volt and ELR, I changed the oil early on a service visit. (Volt 15000, ELR 7500). I did this because both cars had been sitting on dealer lots for a long time. ELR was over a year.

Volt was pinged many times to get service done because their stupid computer (or stupid programmers) had it set at 1yr or 3500mi! ELR is only pinged for service at the service intervals. Usually just a tire rotation.

Since OnStar has been involved this has gotten better. EXCEPT, I get like 10 emails from various personnel at the dealership about service! Plus snail mail constantly.

None of these oil changes cost me anything. Although I did have some expense: When they rotate the tires they don't balance them! That's extra.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
possible issues with manufacturing debris or contaminants
Modern engines are built by robots except HP ones built by hand. There is very little chance of non-oil things in the oil. Even the hand-built ones are done in a very pristine environment.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Modern engines are built by robots except HP ones built by hand. There is very little chance of non-oil things in the oil. Even the hand-built ones are done in a very pristine environment.
But the block, and heads are still made from sand castings, and can have casting flash and other debris in internal passages... don't matter who built it, some contaminants remain. I don't have my Volt owners manual on me, be every other modern robot built car I have had still calls for the first oil change at 600 miles (1000km in metric countries). If I get a 2nd gen Volt instead of a Bolt I will track gasoline miles with the onstar app and do the first oil change at around 600 miles, and then do them according to schedule after that.

Keith

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well there's 4.2 quarts of Dino juice wasted. Don't do that again. Modern engines are built with such good tolerances nowadays, you don't need to change the oil right away. My first oil change was around 22k miles.
I would say unless you've had a oil analysis done through labs such as Blackstone, both sides on this issue are making assumptions. The difference is that one side might be erring on caution and the other side is trusting what the manufacturer says without proof. Some manufacturers cycle and test their engines before installation for break-in purposes, I just don't know which models do and which models don't get this treatment. I wouldn't worry about it either way, but I think I would do my first oil change around 3-5K miles of ICE usage.

·
Registered
13,623 Posts
But the block, and heads are still made from sand castings, and can have casting flash and other debris in internal passages... don't matter who built it, some contaminants remain. I don't have my Volt owners manual on me, be every other modern robot built car I have had still calls for the first oil change at 600 miles (1000km in metric countries). If I get a 2nd gen Volt instead of a Bolt I will track gasoline miles with the onstar app and do the first oil change at around 600 miles, and then do them according to schedule after that.

Keith
The 2013 volt owners manual mentions 600 miles, but that it the number of miles you can drive after the oil change indicator pops up. There is nothing in the volt owners manual calling for a break in period oil change. I don't need an oil analysis. It's been mentioned many times on this forum how accurate the oil change indicator is on GM vehicles. I used to be one of those guys who changed oil every 2500-3000 miles. But when I moved out of town and have mostly highway miles, I stretched that to 5k miles on cars without indicators (made it easy to look at the odometer and decide when to change). But the Caddy and the Volt get changed when the indicator tells me to. The older GM cars are at 130k miles and still going strong. I'm not worried about the fear, uncertainty, and doubt proponents of this early oil change are spewing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Over the years, I've participated in many auto forums. Every forum has members who insist on changing the oil more frequently than the manufacturer recommends. I think its a car-guy POV. The debate goes back and forth with no one convinced. Still, it's entertaining.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The OP did acknowledge that his endeavor was mostly fueled by curiosity about the car. Add that to likely being the first among us to do so. I for one completely sympathize :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's an excerpt from a GM update for 2014/15 Corvette Z51 and Z06 models (after several highly reported engine failures) - obviously this DOES NOT apply to the Volt but just goes to show that it's a complicated world and stuff happens.

"Some 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes may experience a condition that leads to oil leaking out from the air cleaner assembly. This
condition may be caused by running the engine continuously at a high engine speed with the first factory fill oil, resulting in silicone
sealants in the engine’s gaskets degrading the oil’s anti-foaming agents. The oil foam has no effect on the engine’s durability.
Effective Immediately:
GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems. The new
schedule will require the oil/filter be changed immediately after the break-in period, which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation.
Once the break-in oil change is performed and the Oil Life Monitoring system is reset, customers should follow the Oil Life Monitoring
system for all future oil change needs."

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
With our 2010 Prius I change the oil and filter every 10,000 miles per manufacture recommendations. Now we have over 136,000 miles and no problems at all with the engine. I put in 4 quarts and nearly all 4 quarts come out of the oil pan, a little of course remains in the filter. I use 0W20 weight Mobil One oil, which now is Dexos approved and applicable for the 2016 &17 Volt engine.

Its nice to know the era of every 2,000 mile oil changes are over as that is when I changed my oil during the late 1960's when I started driving. Sometimes things just change for the better, this is one of them...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts