GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some time on my hands so I decided to do a DIY blackout.... just $10 worth of carbon fiber wrap. Before and after ....

Attachments

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pics are little small, but from what I can tell, it looks really good. Can you confirm that the vinyl sticks nice with the textured emblems?
Yes, it sticks nicely. the front emblem is much more angled than the rear. i made a template of the front one with notebook paper, creasing the middle and edging with my fingernail. Then cut and outlined the template on the CF-wrap and cut a little bigger. I tucked the edges into the emblem grooves with a thin metal dental pick, cut with a razor blade and smoothed with my fingers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this - either with the carbon fibre wrap or possibly with Plastidip. However, I have yet to see any info on this forum how long either of these small mods would last with a non-garaged vehicle. I would suspect probably less than a couple of years...???

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the chrome grille surround on my wife's audi wrapped in gloss black vinyl and it's still holding up like new after 5 years. She's garaged but it has seen its share of the elements while driving, parked while out and countless car washes. I would go vinyl over plastidip simply because I don't like the rubbery texture of plastidip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this - either with the carbon fibre wrap or possibly with Plastidip. However, I have yet to see any info on this forum how long either of these small mods would last with a non-garaged vehicle. I would suspect probably less than a couple of years...???
I went through three Michigan winters with my Plasti-Dipped Cobalt wheels, before I stopped driving it in winter, and the wheels still look great.

I Plasti-Dipped my brother's Buick Century grill like four years ago, and it still looks great. Many car washes on both vehicles, no issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.