GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got back from our first long trip in our 2016...from Northern Virginia to Cape Cod and back, a total of about 1200 miles. I was not able to charge on this trip, so all but about 60 miles was on the ICE. As someone over 60, I was very pleased with the comfort of the seats (just my wife and I, so I could put the driver's seat as far back as necessary) with such a long time behind the wheel. The car was quiet, even at highway speeds, and had the power to merge smoothly into traffic when required. I got over 42 mpg on the ICE, with much of the driving at 70+ mph with AC running. Carplay with Apple Maps was extremely useful, on several occasions alerting me to traffic congestion ahead and offering alternate routes. We did this same trip in our leased Prius last year, and we both agree that the Volt is just head-and-shoulders better in every respect. Even the MPG difference was minimal. Back home now....I'll probably go another 6 months without putting more gas in the tank. Happier than ever with our purchase!

·
Registered
250 Posts
We just got back from our first long trip in our 2016...from Northern Virginia to Cape Cod and back, a total of about 1200 miles. I was not able to charge on this trip, so all but about 60 miles was on the ICE. As someone over 60, I was very pleased with the comfort of the seats (just my wife and I, so I could put the driver's seat as far back as necessary) with such a long time behind the wheel. The car was quiet, even at highway speeds, and had the power to merge smoothly into traffic when required. I got over 42 mpg on the ICE, with much of the driving at 70+ mph with AC running. Carplay with Apple Maps was extremely useful, on several occasions alerting me to traffic congestion ahead and offering alternate routes. We did this same trip in our leased Prius last year, and we both agree that the Volt is just head-and-shoulders better in every respect. Even the MPG difference was minimal. Back home now....I'll probably go another 6 months without putting more gas in the tank. Happier than ever with our purchase!
What kind of mileage did you typically get with the Prius with a similar trip?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of mileage did you typically get with the Prius with a similar trip?
We got right around 47 mpg in our Prius Plug-in on the 3 long trips we took....twice to Fla and once to Cape Cod. It got somewhat better gas mileage (around 50-51) at more moderate speeds. It was, however, a much noisier and "buzzier" ride. And the seats (in our opinion) were much less comfortable.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We got right around 47 mpg in our Prius Plug-in on the 3 long trips we took....twice to Fla and once to Cape Cod. It got somewhat better gas mileage (around 50-51) at more moderate speeds. It was, however, a much noisier and "buzzier" ride. And the seats (in our opinion) were much less comfortable.
I've been getting a pretty consistent 44-46 mpg in my Volt at 70 mph with temp at 72. I'm very happy with the gas-only mileage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We like having both MyLink Navigation and Android Auto

We like the MyLink Navigation with our 2017 Volt, but sometimes it doesn't know where out of the way places are by name, like Bald River Falls or Middle Prong Trail. In those cases we use Android Auto and let Google Maps direct us to our destination. But when we are ready to go home, we switch back to MyLink Navigation because we can see other information on the screen like outside temperature. It's very nice having both options!

We really like the Volt - we were very comfortable for the two of us going from Tennessee to the beach in Florida and back.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've been getting roughly 45 gas-only mpg on long highway trips of 200-400 miles round trip. Typically I switch to hold mode as soon as I get to highway speed, and switch back when I get into town, and continue this until the charge runs out.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We have a 2016 Volt LTZ. My wife and I took a 244 mile round trip in our 2016 Volt LTZ down the Oregon Coast via Highway 101.
We went nearly 70 miles on electricity and averaged 48.7 mpg on gas. This is only about 5-7 mpg less than we probably would have obtained with our 2010 Prius we own. Also the entire trip penciled out that the Volt was more economical including cost of electricity and gas than our 2010 Prius would have been. The Volt is way more comfortable than our Prius and you can sure feel the difference
after a couple of hours of driving.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've not taken any long freeway trips yet, but when running round trips in "hold" mode around my local area (some highway) I've seen fuel economy anywhere from high 40s to very high 50s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My family and I took a 3000 mile road trip to Yellowstone last month- the Volt does make a great "regular" car!

My average for the trip was 52mpg and this was in the Western U.S. so lots of 70+ driving. I did get to plug in a few times but I'd say less than 10% of the trip was on electric so I was really pleased with how the car did.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My family and I took a 3000 mile road trip to Yellowstone last month- the Volt does make a great "regular" car!

My average for the trip was 52mpg and this was in the Western U.S. so lots of 70+ driving. I did get to plug in a few times but I'd say less than 10% of the trip was on electric so I was really pleased with how the car did.
Wow. That's really impressive. I've gotten anywhere from low to high 40's, which I still consider to be really great.

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
We have a 2016 Volt LTZ. My wife and I took a 244 mile round trip in our 2016 Volt LTZ down the Oregon Coast via Highway 101.
We went nearly 70 miles on electricity and averaged 48.7 mpg on gas. This is only about 5-7 mpg less than we probably would have obtained with our 2010 Prius we own. Also the entire trip penciled out that the Volt was more economical including cost of electricity and gas than our 2010 Prius would have been. The Volt is way more comfortable than our Prius and you can sure feel the difference
after a couple of hours of driving.
Lessee here now...

244 miles. 70 on electricity, so 174 cs miles, at 48.7 mpg means 3.6 gallons. Which means burned MPG is 67.77... That's pretty good for a Prius... ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow. That's really impressive. I've gotten anywhere from low to high 40's, which I still consider to be really great.

Best,
Rick
Keep in mind Rick, that was the overall mpg for the trip lumping everything together (I zeroed out trip B odometer as we left). My straight mpg on dino juice is pretty much right in line with yours. The EV miles just shifted the trip mpg up, but when you consider that I NEVER paid to charge the whole time from a monetary standpoint I did get 52mpg!

Of course I can't emphasize enough the positive impact of judiciously using "hold mode" when you know you're going to be exceeding EV range. Oftentimes I end up getting 5 miles/kw and 45+mpg!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Lessee here now...

244 miles. 70 on electricity, so 174 cs miles, at 48.7 mpg means 3.6 gallons. Which means burned MPG is 67.77... That's pretty good for a Prius... ;)
I figured the Volt with the cost for electricity and gas, of course the Prius just gas. The 68 mpg figure with the Volt is of course with both electricity and gas combined. Still impressive for a car with 2 people and a total vehicle weight close to 4,000 lbs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
After observing my economy measures during my first 2k miles, I see as low as 4 miles per kw-h and as high as about 5.5. I only run the ICE (HOLD mode) on the expressway and see about 45 MPG at 65-70 MPH. As with my other car and previously owned ones, I wish there was a readout of those numbers, both instantaneous and average.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great news on the mileage being that high. We often get less with the hills/mountains using hold or mtn mode. We still are shy about plugging in where it's not the norm on longer trips, but we'll get better at that.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Maybe its just me but I believe our 2016 Volt actually under reports mpg. For instance when I actually fill up, method is I have the attendant at Costco place the nozzle at low speed and first click remove, done, it seems that for instance the gauge states I used 5.0 gal's the pump would stop at 4.8 or so. So when calculated based on pump readout 48.7 mpg(gas only mpg on volt gauge) is now over 50 mpg calculated. Note: You can not pump your own gas in Oregon, but there are exceptions, and Costco is not one of them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
How does it do above 65mph? Our Cruze really takes a fuel economy hit above legal speeds.
I am getting between 44 and 46 mpg average on my commute every day. This is exclusively at 70 mph, as I only use the engine on the highway. Note, I do inflate my tires so that they reach 41-42 psi at temperature.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts