GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, last weekend I experienced my first issue with my Volt. Plugged it in Friday night, and on Saturday I went to take a drive, and noticed it only had 22 miles of charge after being plugged in all night. Checked it out and found my GFI outlet was tripped. I reset the GFI, and when the charger clicked to charge the car, it tripped the outlet again. Puzzled, I assumed I had a failed 110v charger. I then drove down the road to a public Level 2 charger, and when trying to charge there, it would not work and got the "Unable to Charge" message in the dash, then got a CEL with codes P0D26 and P1E00. I cleared the codes with my scanner, and attempted again, still nothing. I went back home and tried my 110v charger in an ordinary outlet. As soon as the charger clicked to start charging the car, sparks flew from the outlet, and tripped the breaker in my electrical panel. Luckily, my twin brother is a GM Field Service Engineer, he called the service Manager at a local chevrolet dealer who said he would take care of it right away for me. Dropped the car off Tuesday afternoon, and got a call about 7:30am the next morning. They found 1500 ohms of resistance between terminals C&E and 1600 ohms between terminals D&E of my charge port housing. They had the parts in stock, and was done about noon that day. Pretty glad I didn't have to wait forever for parts, or for a proper diagnosis. Hopefully if anyone else experiences this issue, it is resolved as quickly as mine was.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like your charge terminals corroded somehow? I live in a snow belt but I am very careful to clear snow out of the charge terminal before plugging anything in or out. Maybe something got into your port that somehow messed up the terminals? It's been one winter already and no problems at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They found no signs of water intrusion or corrosion, seems as if the terminals in the charge port just had a poor connection.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Did you search for threads about OBD scanners causing a charging problem? GM uses the OBD buss for communication between the various computer systems in the car and GM codes are incompatible with many OBD scan devices. IIRC a few members have disabled their Volts by using non-compliant scanners.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Good news, I live over in Belleville, what dealer did you take it to.

3,600 Posts
Well, last weekend I experienced my first issue with my Volt. Plugged it in Friday night, and on Saturday I went to take a drive, and noticed it only had 22 miles of charge after being plugged in all night. Checked it out and found my GFI outlet was tripped. I reset the GFI, and when the charger clicked to charge the car, it tripped the outlet again. Puzzled, I assumed I had a failed 110v charger. I then drove down the road to a public Level 2 charger, and when trying to charge there, it would not work and got the "Unable to Charge" message in the dash, then got a CEL with codes P0D26 and P1E00. I cleared the codes with my scanner, and attempted again, still nothing. I went back home and tried my 110v charger in an ordinary outlet. As soon as the charger clicked to start charging the car, sparks flew from the outlet, and tripped the breaker in my electrical panel. Luckily, my twin brother is a GM Field Service Engineer, he called the service Manager at a local chevrolet dealer who said he would take care of it right away for me. Dropped the car off Tuesday afternoon, and got a call about 7:30am the next morning. They found 1500 ohms of resistance between terminals C&E and 1600 ohms between terminals D&E of my charge port housing. They had the parts in stock, and was done about noon that day. Pretty glad I didn't have to wait forever for parts, or for a proper diagnosis. Hopefully if anyone else experiences this issue, it is resolved as quickly as mine was.
Good Afternoon JSM1284,

Glad to hear they are taking care of you. You have a Dedicated Advisor as well that can help, but a family member being a FSE isn't to shabby either!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

1 - 7 of 7 Posts