GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to take advantage of GM's latest incentives and bought a new Malibu Hybrid. I've had the car a few days and thought I'd pass on my first impressions. I previously had an Acura TL and this is my first Chevy. The Hybrid blows away my Acura for its technology, smooth and quiet ride and, of course, fuel economy.

The Hybrid's engine/battery transitions are seamless and smooth. If the battery is close to full charge, then it's difficult to know when the engine is running. It's extremely quiet. If the battery is at mid-level charge, then the engine will run at a slightly higher RPM when it kicks in and you can hear a slight buzz in the background. Engine noise is hardly noticeable and engine speed reduces after a short period. If you have the radio on, then you really can't tell when the engine is running under any condition.

The Hybrid's Energy display is the best way to check what the drive train is doing. The car is continuously optimizing efficiency, even at highway speeds. I was surprised that the car will switch to battery at highway speeds if you're on a level surface or going down a hill. That explains why the Hybrid achieves great fuel economy both in the city and on the highway.

Regenerative braking is smooth and braking seems to be the same as a standard car. I've never driven a hybrid before and the brakes felt completely normal to me. I haven't tried the Low mode yet that goes into regenerative mode when you take your foot off the gas.

So far, my mileage has been in the 40-50 mpg range. As a comparison, my Acura was getting 20-22 mpg for the same type of driving.

Chevy did an outstanding job with the overall Malibu body. The car is solid, quiet with excellent handling. It's an easy and fun car to drive. I've owned Honda's for 20 years and the Malibu's build quality is as good as any Honda or Acura I've every owned.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Thanks for the update. I really like that car, but for me, with solar (free sun power for fuel), and after having the Volt, it is darn near impossible for me to consider anything without a plug. I had a Ford Fusion Hybrid though before the Volt. That was a fine, fine, machine. I still miss sync, power seats, sunroof, and bliss ;)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Glad you like it! I was impressed by my Volt, most of the American cars haven't done much to interest me previously, but GM is really making a strong comeback.

I really want to try a Malibu Hybrid, lots more room than my Volt in the rear seat area.

GM has done great work with brake pedal feel, my Volt is good, but I think the newer cars improve it even further.

Keep us up to date, and enjoy the Malibu.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Thanks for the update. I really like that car, but for me, with solar (free sun power for fuel), and after having the Volt, it is darn near impossible for me to consider anything without a plug. I had a Ford Fusion Hybrid though before the Volt. That was a fine, fine, machine. I still miss sync, power seats, sunroof, and bliss ;)
I don't have solar. But I'm with you. After driving plug-in cars for the last 5 years, a regular hybrid seems like old-tech for me. I'm just not interested. I can't ever go back to a car that uses gasoline for its sole power source.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If the Malibu Hybrid would have been available when I got the 2nd 2015 Volt I would have given it a very strong look. I think it it looks great and I am really more of a mid-sized car person and the much lower price would be even more incentive. And I have always like the Malibu's. But be that as it may, I am very happy to have the Volt. Congrats!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Volt was at the top of my list when I started looking for a new car. But, I live in a condo and charging power isn't available. Plus, the Volt's cabin was a little tight for me.

The Malibu Hybrid was a great alternative. I like the fact that the car uses the Volt's drive train. And it provides the room of a mid-size car. The trunk is smaller than standard but it still provides ample space.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
So the Volt is a halo car. Figured it could be. Maybe not the strongest one, but nice to see it draws people to the brand.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thanks for the review.

I'd like to see the Malibu hybrid available with half a Volt battery (to keep weight down) and a plug. Then put that same drivetrain in the new Buick LaCrosse. You figure with a close to $4K federal incentive, GM could do this as a $3K option when all is said and done, maybe even less.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
They should have done one like the CT6. Big battery with a plug. Maybe later after CT6 has been out a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts