GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
8,680 Posts
Interesting. I've always read that fuel cells were too expensive for mass production, and likely to stay that way because of the cost of raw materials (platinum content, mostly.) Obviously, Hyundai thinks differently.

Hydrogen will always be a challenge, both to get/make and to store safely in adequate quantities. However, if Hyundai's found an affordable way to make fuel cells, it isn't hard to envision a next generation EREV with CNG (or maybe DME?) tank, onboard reformulator to generate hydrogen, and fuel cell stack for a range extender. I've suggested thy this might happen before, though I thought it was a decade or more ahead.

·
Administrator
21,233 Posts
Interesting. I've always read that fuel cells were too expensive for mass production, and likely to stay that way because of the cost of raw materials (platinum content, mostly.) Obviously, Hyundai thinks differently.
Now all that is needed is a way to make, compress, store, transport and pump liquid hydrogen for free and we will have something.

·
8,680 Posts
Now all that is needed is a way to make, compress, store, transport and pump liquid hydrogen for free and we will have something.
I still think that methane or dimethyl ether will be your answer there - with a simple device to convert to hydrogen at the point of use (which emits CO2 of course.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts