GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was a small thrill. I just passed 700 miles on my new Volt and got to experience my first Engine Maintenance Mode.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was fun watching the progress on the Info screen. My first thought was, 'Oh crap how long am I going to have to drive around and burn gas until it's done...'

But happily it completed within my 20 min drive home and showed that it only burned .03 gal of that strange liquid we used to pump into our cars! ;)

And on another note, can someone please turn off the heat here in Omaha! Third day of upper 90's here. I personally don't care for the heat, and I'm sure Volty isn't so happy with it either. lol

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have gone SIX months in a row where the ONLY fuel I have used was due the EMM.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
OK, quit whining about the heat or we will send you some of our triple digit temps from Arizona.

BTW, congratulations on actually getting some benefit from your EMM event. Some folks have wasted the energy by sitting in their driveway burning off the petrol without moving so that their stats don't record the gas mileage.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, quit whining about the heat or we will send you some of our triple digit temps from Arizona.

BTW, congratulations on actually getting some benefit from your EMM event. Some folks have wasted the energy by sitting in their driveway burning off the petrol without moving so that their stats don't record the gas mileage.

VIN # B0985
Welp. No more whining here.. you can keep your triple digit temps. I'll stay happy with 90's and the daily film of dust my car gets coated in here in the dusty plains.

·
Registered
921 Posts

VIN # B0985
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think EMM actually generates any electricity. It's just a lube-the-engine mode, so it puts no load on the ICE while it's doing that. Sort of like the first minute of change over to CS mode, but with combustion.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think EMM actually generates any electricity. It's just a lube-the-engine mode, so it puts no load on the ICE while it's doing that. Sort of like the first minute of change over to CS mode, but with combustion.
Correct, kinda.
EMM generates no electricity (it actually uses some) - with exception of the initial warm up period which you describe at the end.
It is generating for the first minute or so (standard procedure even for CS start up) and then continues on EMM with no generation.
But the net energy output of EMM is more electricity used than made by the time it completes.

There is no advantage to doing EMM while driving vs parked, except time efficiency of getting to where you want to be while it completes (except example below). There are advantages to both, but for some reason it is shameful to do it while parked (apparently?).
I do it because it's more effective use of my time and fuel in the wintertime. I have a short commute and it would not complete before I arrive at work anyway. I can set it to start in the morning, and then get in my (warm) car and drive to work. Pre-heated and EMM completed all-in-one! Insanity, I know. Shame on me.

P.s. Mixed mode driving doesn't count against voltstats since 2013 - there's no difference if you EMM while moving or not if you care about that.
The car must fully switch over and show gas mode for voltstats to tally gas miles.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
One thing I could do in my 2012 Volt during an EMM (while parked) was to rev the motor by pumping the accelerator.

It is possible an EMM while driving might register as gas miles for 2011/2012 Volts, but I’ve never confirmed it, nor noted if driving during an EMM will break an ev streak in Voltstats. Certain things were tweaked in the 2013 models... 2011/2012 Volts, for example, could get miles driven on Mountain Mode recharged battery power to count as "electric miles" (without increasing the kWh Used number in the 2012s - I once drove 86+ electric miles, much on MM recharged power, and showed 9.8 kWh Used). That glitch was changed with the 2013 models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts