GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed my winter tires last Wednesday and not a moment too soon. My normal 1 hour commute quickly turned into a 2 hour ordeal this morning driving from Milwaukee to O'Hare.

The Volt performed fantastically and had no problems navigating through the drifts and ruts. No slipping at all. I saw a couple different cars actually loose control and end up in the ditch or the median, and I just chugged along. The car felt very planted with the General Altimax 225/55/17s, which is a slightly taller tire, but I'm not seeing a difference in the indicated speed VS. the speed shown on the app on my phone.. The tires do have about 35K miles on them, so that may account for the indicated speed being the same.

So far so good...

I also installed the All-Important Volt Screen...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Chevrolet volt

·
Registered
73 Posts
Took mine out this morning with the Firestone Winterforce 2's and it drives around like there's no snow on the ground. I did end up getting some slush or something impacted in the wheel which made the whole car wobble a bit until it broke loose, but the stuff we got last night was really slushy and sticky so I guess that can happen. This never happened with my other cars, but perhaps the stock 17" 5 spoke wheels leave a lot of room for stuff to get in there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got my first blizzards 2 weeks ago

I went with seconds hand 16" rims + cheap new Chinese tires = ~350 usd

The car performed nice, lots of cars pc the side of the road crashed

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my first blizzards 2 weeks ago

I went with seconds hand 16" rims + cheap new Chinese tires = ~350 usd

The car performed nice, lots of cars pc the side of the road crashed
I had the tires from my previous Lexus, but the wheels were 5X114.3 and I didn't want to "hope" they would be ok on the Volt, so I bought a set of rims from a reputable eBay seller. 370.00 delivered...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Took mine out this morning with the Firestone Winterforce 2's and it drives around like there's no snow on the ground. I did end up getting some slush or something impacted in the wheel which made the whole car wobble a bit until it broke loose, but the stuff we got last night was really slushy and sticky so I guess that can happen. This never happened with my other cars, but perhaps the stock 17" 5 spoke wheels leave a lot of room for stuff to get in there.
I'm currently removing the corrosion behind the 5 spokes and painting the inside (rear) of the wheel. There is a lip behind the spoke where slush can get packed in. The spoke is wide enough the crude in behind will remain when washed which is why they corrode there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm currently removing the corrosion behind the 5 spokes and painting the inside (rear) of the wheel. There is a lip behind the spoke where slush can get packed in. The spoke is wide enough the crude in behind will remain when washed which is why they corrode there.
Good to know...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 205/60R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tires on basic 5-spoke aluminum wheels. No problems during Finnish winter ;)

Curiously, EU spec Volt's owner's manual gives two tire sizes for the car, the one I mentioned above and the usual 215/55R17. I found no mention of actual tire size in the US Volt manual... (2013)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've had the General Altimax Arctics on my 2016 Volt for the last 2 Winters, and they were great. No issues whatsoever in snowy Maine. I've had X-Ice3 and Blizzaks before, and I really don't feel much difference. The Generals are fine and much less expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts