GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally had a nice day so I spent the morning detailing our almost two week old Siren Red Tintcoat aka SRT Volt

After washing the car in Dawn Detergent, using a NanoSkin Sponge and a coat of ZAINO Z2 Pro followed by their Z6 and Z8 detail spray you can see the gold specs in the paint.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Gotta build those layers on Zaino to get the optimal shine. get about 6 coats on it and it will look like it has a layer of glass the shine will be so deep. Love the color!!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta build those layers on Zaino to get the optimal shine. get about 6 coats on it and it will look like it has a layer of glass the shine will be so deep. Love the color!!
I've been using ZAINO since 1999 when I was introduced to it on the Corvette Forum. Since this is my DD I always get a few coats on my cars in the fall. Stuff will last until next spring. I posted a photo of my 2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray on the GM FB page and GM asked it they could use it. That how good ZAINO made it look.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been using ZAINO since 1999 when I was introduced to it on the Corvette Forum. Since this is my DD I always get a few coats on my cars in the fall. Stuff will last until next spring. I posted a photo of my 2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray on the GM FB page and GM asked it they could use it. That how good ZAINO made it look.
I know I have been using it since 2007, also from the Corvette forum. It really makes a car shine when you get some layers on it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Fellow Zaino user myself -- and also an ex corvette forum memeber -- used to have an 08 Z06 in Velocity Yellow that I shined to perfection with Zaino :)

Got my Heather grey all polished up with a few coats of Zaino recently as well:

(click for full res)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very Nice! I just got my SRT last weekend and it has been raining quite a bit. I have the same plan of touching every square inch at least twice. Then next week I have my first road trip of a six hour drive from the NC mountains to Amelia Island FL (And so far forecasts looks hurricane free!)

I am excited to get to know the ACC. My commute is very rural and never thought I would find myself looking forward to getting behind the all too common touristy slow pokes.

Did you clay bar yours? I plan on following most of ChrisFix instructions on this video (excluding scratch removal fortunately)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXfSBR5Q9w

Thanks for the post.
Jon

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you clay bar yours?
I stopped using a Clay Bar several years ago when I was introduced (again by Corvette Forum buddies) to the Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge (Amazon has it for about $18) works as good as ANY old fashion clay bar, is reusable MANY times and if you drop it it's still usable. My paint felt like the surface of the moon (hand in plastic bag trick) and now feels like a piece of glass. It also removed all the manufacturing crap/grime from the glass I has having a hard time getting off. I love crystal clear glass.

Oh and FTR I now use ZAINO Z2-PRO straight from the bottle without using their curing agent. I just a apply a VERY thin coat and let it cure for about 30 minutes before wiping off with a microfiber towel.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I snagged my car from the guys in the dealership back lot trying to PDI it because I didn't want a hack wash. I did find cause to lightly polish the hood, but at least the car was so new that it didn't need to be clayed much.

looks good! There's always a difference if you are willing to detail a car properly. Today i waxed the inside of my wheel barrels while I had them off for the rotation. it is a sickness...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I snagged my car from the guys in the dealership back lot trying to PDI it because I didn't want a hack wash. I did find cause to lightly polish the hood, but at least the car was so new that it didn't need to be clayed much.

looks good! There's always a difference if you are willing to detail a car properly. Today i waxed the inside of my wheel barrels while I had them off for the rotation. it is a sickness...
When my Corvette was delivered to the dealer I would not let them do any cleaning or washing. I had my detail guy do it, he spent 12 hours on a brand new car!!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
When my Corvette was delivered to the dealer I would not let them do any cleaning or washing. I had my detail guy do it, he spent 12 hours on a brand new car!!!
I had my Volt professionally paint corrected, detailed, and Opticoated a few months after I bought it. The shop probably spent a good eight hours - 2 guys for half a day each.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I stopped using a Clay Bar several years ago when I was introduced (again by Corvette Forum buddies) to the Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge (Amazon has it for about $18) works as good as ANY old fashion clay bar, is reusable MANY times and if you drop it it's still usable. My paint felt like the surface of the moon (hand in plastic bag trick) and now feels like a piece of glass. It also removed all the manufacturing crap/grime from the glass I has having a hard time getting off. I love crystal clear glass.

Oh and FTR I now use ZAINO Z2-PRO straight from the bottle without using their curing agent. I just a apply a VERY thin coat and let it cure for about 30 minutes before wiping off with a microfiber towel.
Thanks Bazinga

Man. I wished I knew about the Nanoskin. It sounds great and this was my first claying. I see why there needed to be a better way. My Volt truly needed some help and had no idea how different it would look. I did clay the windows too. What is the plastic bag trick? I may have to go Zaino next wax as well. I haven't babied a car since a '75 Thunderbird I had when I was 18. Must be why I had to have Siren Red. They were similar in color.

So I definitely can use all the detailing tips to be had.

Jon

·
Registered
238 Posts
Amazing results. Thanks for sharing.

When I searched for ZAINO on Amazon I got these results:

1. Liquid Glass LG-100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish - 16 oz.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JMIEK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_frIZxb6G424ZR

2. Wolfgang WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AGELUJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_usIZxbADYC4EE

3. Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax - 16 oz.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HCM9H4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1sIZxbYRFWN92

All these products have excellent reviews, I'm inclined to buy the Wolfgang. Any experience with any of these? I want to buy with Amazon Prime since a friend is visiting me and it needs to arrive by Friday.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, I saw that thread but decided to post here where I could see pictures of the results. Do you have any pictures at hand by any chance? How does it compare to the ZAINO used by OP?

I'm old school with regards to wax, been using Carnauba Turtle Wax and hadn't realized there were much better products out there.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that's a weird way to put it. Unless it has a hemi or v10 in it...
Corvette guys have been referring to their paint colors this way for a LONG time, probably even before Dodge had an SRT program.

Since I've owned Corvette's since 1972 and am a charter member on the Corvette Forum where a lot of this lingo was legitimized with the internet I just naturally use the same acronyms.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I've always wanted to "pamper" my Volt(s), but since I park outside under tree cover, I'm afraid as soon as I did some exhausting detail job, some bird would crap all over my Volt (or tree sap or something would drip on it) making the effort all for not.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Amazing results. Thanks for sharing.

When I searched for ZAINO on Amazon I got these results:

1. Liquid Glass LG-100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish - 16 oz.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JMIEK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_frIZxb6G424ZR

2. Wolfgang WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AGELUJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_usIZxbADYC4EE

3. Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax - 16 oz.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HCM9H4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1sIZxbYRFWN92

All these products have excellent reviews, I'm inclined to buy the Wolfgang. Any experience with any of these? I want to buy with Amazon Prime since a friend is visiting me and it needs to arrive by Friday.
If you want the real deal, only one place to get Zaino, and that's from the guy that makes it. Zainostore.com

Top quality, fast shipping, and if you ever have any questions, you can call him directly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts