GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am picking up a new /used Volt this week and I hope it is what you all are saying it is

I am looking forward to driving past the gas station again and again

I have been wanting to install solar panels on the house and I will use the Volt as an excuse to do so because the wife has been saying no to solar from day one.

I already ordered a 240v charger from Emotorwerks.com They seem to have the most affordable 240v EVSE and it can be upgraded for the next generation of electric vehicles.

If someone has found a better alternative for an EVSE I would like to here from you

Thanks

Dean

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like Open EVSE, I have built 3 of them. http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/ they are They can do from 6 A to 80 A. Easy to program and change, personalize, I like the LCD displays, I have one LCD and One LED the one fixed to my house is LED and the one in my car is LCD so I can adjust AMPs if I need to at places I charge.

Just a thought, they charge my car everyday and work well. About the same price. I built both mine for around $250 with a display complete.

You can get cheap J1772 handles http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CJWSV0S/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1407894007&sr=8-1&keywords=j1772&condition=used
People buy them and return them, they think they are complete for $99 when they get them they send them back. I bought two of them and they work great. Only 16A but that is all my Volt can eat. I can always change the cord later for 10/4 service cord @ Lowe's and then they will do 32 AMP.

I have had lots of fun with this car. If you want another project, I built a Quick 240 that you can use to get 240V from two out of phase wall sockets. With an open evse I can lower my Amps to 12 and then charge at 12 A @ 240, anywhere. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?125706-Just-finished-my-DIY-Quick-240V

I also have a Bluetooth Em327 that I can Link my Torque Pro App into to watch true % state of charge and how the two motor interaction is.

Too much fun the ultimate geek car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what you are saying @markh21518 you can make a 240v EVSE and plug it into two 15a 110v plugs and charge at 30a as long as the two 110v outlets are on different circuit's and of course they can not be gfi

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I have solar and really, I don't know if I would do it again. Sure, it feels good to have and even with the Volt, our monthly electric bill is under $40, and sometimes zero, but if your grid prices in Pittsburgh is under .12/kWh then I would skip it. pA sunshine program may not be there if you start now. Payback is a long while as SRECS now are about $35 ea. not much earnings there. Of you can find a reasonable local installer who can offer US sourced parts at under $3.80/W installed, give it a go.

And no, 3.3KW is all you can charge at. In terms of power, 120v at 15A times two would be 240V at 15A. 3.3 KW charging is 240V at 13.75A.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Electric power demand nationwide has nor increased since 2008. Nothing to drive prices up right now except political manipulation..

on the Volt, I hope it brings the joy mine has provided. Its a technological wonder for an old engineer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
That is exactly what I can do, and have done. I built the Quick 240 for around $60. No permanent install just plug in to the wall sockets set the EVSE to 12A if it is not a 20 A service (I've hear you can run 14 A if it is under 3 hours). I have a little 250V Neon that turns on when I have two out of Phase wall sockets, and you get 240 L2 charging the easy way. You can't get 30 A from 2 15 A services, just 15 A, but it will charge the Volt twice as fast. Yes GFCI is a no go.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I am sure you will have a good time with the car. The Volt is a great car. Guaranteed to be the smoothest ride you've ever had! And, yes, NOT going to gas stations never gets old. One thing about the Volt is that it every once in a while you have to take it to the gas station, just to remind you how nice it is not to go. :)

Make sure you check with your electrical utility to see if there are any special rates for EV vehicles.

You'll love solar. The great thing about it is that it just chugs away 24/7, cutting your electric bill. It's a reasonable thing to do. Static financial analysis doesn't actually capture how good it can be. For example, if your solar system cuts your bill by $100/month, that's $1200/year. If you were to retire, you'd need 20-30 times that amount in cash to be sure you could pay for it, and there is no way a system like that would cost $24k-$36k after tax credits. Go for it when you have income. Plus if you sell the house you'll most likely get your cost back.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I like Open EVSE, I have built 3 of them. http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/ they are They can do from 6 A to 80 A. Easy to program and change, personalize, I like the LCD displays, I have one LCD and One LED the one fixed to my house is LED and the one in my car is LCD so I can adjust AMPs if I need to at places I charge.

Just a thought, they charge my car everyday and work well. About the same price. I built both mine for around $250 with a display complete.
I've built two OpenEVSE's; one to fix my L2 Voltec that failed after 13 months, and a portable one that auto-switches L1/L2, and can plug into either a standard outlet or a NEMA 14-50 outlet (commonly used for 50a RV's). I like projects like these, so I ordered another one that will use a contactor instead of a relay.

The price for the OpenEVSE board in QuickKit form recently dropped to $65.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had mine 1 month now.
Not one stop at a gas station, not a gallon used.
The 100 MPGE and quiet quick smooth ride sold me.
Plugging in being 100 times better than gas station is my favorite thing about the car.
I'm not as gas hater, I'm retired oil finance.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I already ordered a 240v charger from Emotorwerks.com They seem to have the most affordable 240v EVSE and it can be upgraded for the next generation of electric vehicles.
I've built two of the JuiceBoxes so far- both have worked flawlessly.
If you didn't order the J-Cable from Emotorwerks.com, the 15amp $99 one from amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJWSV0S/sr=8-1/qid=1407894007/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1407894007&sr=8-1) is perfectly adequate for the Volt.... and the 14ga wire inside the cable makes it much easier to handle vs the heavier gauge J-Cables sold at Emotorwerks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts