GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it won't be long before we begin seeing the Volt's cousin in the showrooms. Price has not been announced, but the fact that it is a stunning looking vehicle has. I wonder if GM expects it to go up against the Tesla Model S, if so I think the ELR's performance deficit will be difficult to overcome.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130529/CARNEWS/130529755

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Agree it's great looking and agree that it can't compete with the Model S on the performance front. Ditto or even double ditto on the room front! LOL

I'm in a wait and evaluate mode on the ELR. If it were larger I'd be a lot more enthused, but with a smaller back seat than the Volt's the utility is questionable. I'll probably do a test drive though. Our Leaf lease is up next year and we will probably replace it. Or extend and see what develops!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I don't think of this car as competing with the Model S. I see it as competing for the high-end Volt buyer's money - similar to back in the day when my dad was so proud that he could trade in his Impala for a Sedan de Ville. Cadillac may very soon have some of mine. :)

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I own a Volt and a CTS-V coupe. The ELR is a compelling reason to dump the 556HP V coupe. I love the look and feel of the V coupe (rear seats are acceptable for my needs) but hate it's fuel mileage. At 14 MPG it's a pig and I certainly can't use it's full performance potential on the street and I don't track my cars any more.

So I'm hoping a nicely dressed ELR can be had for around $60K minus my state and federal credits and I'm out the door at $48K.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The ELR is not in the same market as the Tesla S.

Yes the Tesla is, bigger, better performance and more expensive. The ELR like the Volt is a no compromise EREV. It will be less expensive coupe that has more luxury features and nicer appointed interior than a Tesla S.

The ELR was designed to appeal to those that might like a Mercedes-Benz C class coupe (C250) or BMW 3 series coupe (328i) and are looking for a green vehicle. Different strokes for different folks.

Also to add the ELR interior is much nicer than the C class or 3 series as well.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I would just like to know pricing and when it will be available, I'd like to get this before Dec 31 in order to get the tax credit early next year. My tax situation this year will have me oweing the government a fair amount so If I can get this before the end of the year it would work out very well.

·
Administrator
21,232 Posts
I think the ELR has a more distinctive look than the Tesla S. I have seen several Teslas but am never quite sure they are a Tesla until I get next to them. The Tesla body seems kind of generic to me. Not saying it's bad, just not "stand out from the crowd".

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
To me, cars like this are all about driving a great stretch of road for a couple hours. I LOVE the twisty turny stuff or coastline rides with a well-mannered car and especially so on quiet yet responsive electric power!

So despite any performance (or utility?) deficit the ELR may have to the Tesla, it's real attraction for ME (besides being beautiful) is that you can simply turn around after a 1/2 days drive and make it back home again!
Gotta love the EREV

JMO
WopOnTour

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I own a Volt and a CTS-V coupe. The ELR is a compelling reason to dump the 556HP V coupe. I love the look and feel of the V coupe (rear seats are acceptable for my needs) but hate it's fuel mileage. At 14 MPG it's a pig and I certainly can't use it's full performance potential on the street and I don't track my cars any more.

So I'm hoping a nicely dressed ELR can be had for around $60K minus my state and federal credits and I'm out the door at $48K.
I dropped my CTS-V for the same reason and got the Volt. (even the same color)

Boy that ELR seems pretty cool, but for a $60K price tag, I think I have to pass. (me secretly wants one however but don't tell SWMBO).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have always loved and bought 2 door cars but not sports cars luxury cars that just arn't available anymore.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I think the ELR has a more distinctive look than the Tesla S. I have seen several Teslas but am never quite sure they are a Tesla until I get next to them. The Tesla body seems kind of generic to me. Not saying it's bad, just not "stand out from the crowd".
I keep thinking I'm seeing a Tesla and it ends up being a Ford.

·
Registered
915 Posts
agrre I do love the Tesla and the tech that accompanies it but I wish it had as a distinictive look as say a Jaguar or Maserati, The body is toyota like, just too soft. For 100K (and thats what it really costs for a good one) it needs to have the look and feel of a high end Marque car

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The next American hybrid that can really compete with the ELR is the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. The MKZ Hybrid may not have the 35 mile CD range, but it has more luxury options, including "Park Assist" and a push-button shifter, and at a lower retail price.

·
Super Moderator
6,431 Posts
Well it won't be long before we begin seeing the Volt's cousin in the showrooms. Price has not been announced, but the fact that it is a stunning looking vehicle has. I wonder if GM expects it to go up against the Tesla Model S, if so I think the ELR's performance deficit will be difficult to overcome.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130529/CARNEWS/130529755
A very cool car. Can't wait to hear more reviews. If this car had great performance I would have given it serious consideration. I like the tech and CUE for expandability (one thing I like about Tesla). We would have kept the Volt tho and having two "small" cars (back seats) would not be a great idea. Would need to keep the SUV longer ... (cost me a grand lately because squirrels ate the wiring because we rarely drive it now!)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I like the appearance from the side. But I'm not really crazy about the front grille. I'd also like to see what it looks like in other colors. I'm curious why they are starting to roll off the assembly line but we have to wait another 7 months (at least) before people can buy them? Are these just beta-test cars? crash test cars? And it would be nice if they would announce the price. I bet there are more than a few hold-outs that want to buy a Volt but are waiting to hear the price of the ELR before making up their mind. Nissan literally waited until the 2013 Leafs were showing up at dealerships before announcing the price. I find that annoying.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Too much money for me fellows. I'm going to make a pass on the ELR. I have nothing besides it's great looks to make me want it that bad. At $60K that's a lot of money just to have a great looking car that offers nearly the same performance as the Volt with 2 less doors even. I'll hold out for Volt 2.0.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts