GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up my new Volt next week. I remember that I had to drive moderately the first several hundred miles when I picked up my new ICE vehicles. Does this pertain to the Volt, or can I lead-foot it as soon as I have a full charge?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Electric motors don't need a break-in period, and for that matter neither do modern ICE engines. In a Volt the ICE range extender is pretty well managed by the computer systems and you really do not have that much control over engine rpm etc. Clearances in modern ICE engines are vastly better than what you probably remember, so you can drive it as you see fit.

VIN # B0985

·
8,680 Posts
I've read that it's important to frown periodically during the first 500 miles. Otherwise the Volt grin sets itself permanently on your face. Alas, I was told too late. :)

(AZ EV Driver nailed the real answer.)

·
Registered
520 Posts
...In a Volt the ICE range extender is pretty well managed by the computer systems and you really do not have that much control over engine rpm...
That's the bottom line right there, so why worry about something you can't control anyway.

I had the same concern initially, as I was buying the car new from a dealer nearly 400 miles away and driving it straight home, but the dealer service department confirmed there is absolutely no break-in required (or possible) for the ICE. Just drive on.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Don't let your spouse drive it, or you will have to buy another one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've read that it's important to frown periodically during the first 500 miles. Otherwise the Volt grin sets itself permanently on your face. Alas, I was told too late. :)

(AZ EV Driver nailed the real answer.)
lol too true my friend too true, i suffer from the fate....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm on week 2 of volt ownership and when i searched the owners manual under break in there is a paragraph. It states the volt has no special break in requirements and can be driven normally right away.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
i searched the owners manual under break in there is a paragraph. It states the volt has no special break in requirements and can be driven normally right away.
Congratulations, Bullyveldt! You have found the secret source of 90% of the expert knowledge in this forum, :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts