GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got myself a brand new Volt on Monday and was facing a very strong sell on the Finishing Touch treatment for my exterior and interior of the car. They claimed it would protect the car from spills, oil, bird droppings, etc. for 5-7 years.

Given the chance to cancel the purchase, I decided to add it on for $499. Generally I always run from "deals" like this, but with the chance to think about it and do some research I opted in.

I would love to heard thoughts from others on the validity of this treatment and how it compares to normal car care/washing/waxing treatments.

·
Registered
204 Posts
IMO, NONE of those dealer applied sealants is worth it. Do not believe their hype of lasting 5-7 years. You can after purchase wash once with Dawn to remove oils and bs they may have put on like a glaze or wax and seal with a good sealant yourself like Zaino Z2 Pro, Meguiars, Klasse, Wolf Gang just to mention a few. If you don't want to apply it or do the work yourself a detailer can do it as well and it would still run far less than the dealers applied junk.

·
Registered
589 Posts
$499.00? That must include at least $400.00 in pure profit for your dealer.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I refused to pay for the supposed $1295 worth of dealer applied pin stripes wheel well trim and special coatings. Dealer relented even though they were already on the car. I wouldn't give $100 for all of it.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know much about the clear bra. Does it show. Does it look like a film has been applied to the hood?

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
I don't know much about the clear bra. Does it show. Does it look like a film has been applied to the hood?
Clear bras are also called invisible bras. Depending on where you are standing, if you look hard you can see a hairline where the film ends. The film itself is clear and non-yellowing. I chose that instead of scratches and rust spots caused by stones, pebbles, sand grit, bug splatters and the like hitting my car. I also have my door edges, side view mirrors, and top of the rear bumper below the hatch covered.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The film itself is clear and non-yellowing. I chose that instead of scratches and rust spots caused by stones, pebbles, sand grit, bug splatters and the like hitting my car. I also have my door edges, side view mirrors, and top of the rear bumper below the hatch covered.
Steverino is right. This is the most important step you can take to preserve your vehicle.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Save your money, a new car isn't going to fall apart with normal use.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
New cars have so much fabric and corrosion prevention built in that no 3rd party system is going to be worth it. If you are in a 'salt belt' nothing is going to help the parts that are going to rust IMO. I see you live in CA though - definitely not worth it. Cars last forever out there!

I agree with the above - the clear bra is a great addition (I'm thinking about one of these) and a sun shade for the windshield perhaps to protect the interior?

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
the clear bra is a great addition (I'm thinking about one of these) and a sun shade for the windshield perhaps to protect the interior?
Never having had one before, I debated the value. But I also keep my cars a long time and I know first hand how the leading edges get pitted and rusty from road grit. I also know how the rear bumper gets banged up on rental cars from luggage, and how door edges get nicked from opening the door into something. So I went ahead and got these areas done with something more durable than a "treatment". Look at the sandblasting video here to see how tough this stuff is: http://www.clearguardforcars.com/video/

I am happy with the clear bra. If I had to do it over, I might have gone whole hood instead of half hood. Why? Guess where I have found some nicks from road grit? Yup, where the clear bra isn't. It can only protect what it covers.

Also, this stuff can be removed, so it the car is in an accident it can be repainted without extra cost to remove the film.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses. I am getting my money back and feel much more comfortable with that decision. I'm planning on getting the car tinted and a few other things.

On that note, have any of you tinted your cars and had issues dealing with the dot matrix on the top of the back window?

·
Registered
204 Posts
On that note, have any of you tinted your cars and had issues dealing with the dot matrix on the top of the back window?
I had my windows done 35% all around and the place I went to did a fantastic job, no problems with the black dots around the rear windows nor the small ones in the front near the side view mirrors.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
TrueCoat

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
TrueCoat, hahaha. I love Fargo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts