GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a number of years away from the hobby, I'm back to building fine scale models again.
We won't look at the first one I did, let's just say I was pretty rusty :p

But the Battlestar Galactica came out pretty darned good I think!

Now if someone would just make a Gen 1 Volt model.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have built scale models since 1956. I have a Babylon 5 kit from Revell that I have opened the box but not started assembly. I had an idea to insert a small DC motor and cells so the center section can rotate as the "real'" station does on the TV series.

I might be inspired to restart the idea, and add fibre-optic illumination as you did for the Galactica.

As for model cars, which were the most I built between 1963 and 1970, I have the 1/8 scale Monogram Chevy Corvetter kit, too, in storage. This is another that I had the idea to put in real illumination with small LEDs. But due to the lack of interest in the modern youth to build model cars, I seriousy doubt that any company will manufacture a Chevy Volt model kit. Only those who have a 3D fabrication "printer" may try to build one from scratch, and maybe even motorize it like a real Volt.

Up to now, I know of the 1/18 scale Gen 1 Volt made in China, and several 1/64 scale Gen 1 and Gen 2 Volts from Greenline. I have one of each. There is a post thread on the 1/18 scale Volt in the forums: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?116394-FOR-Sale-Chevy-Volt-1-18-scale-model-by-KYOSHO-extremely-detailed&highlight=scale+model

Some are on sale at eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1/18+Chevy+Volt.TRS0&_nkw=1/18+Chevy+Volt&_sacat=0

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That Bab5 kit is hard to find now. I have a couple of star fury fighters, one I lit in the pre-LED days and at this point half the bulbs are burned out :( Someday I may crack it back open and replace the wheat grain bulbs with LED.

I had the 1/8 scale IROC-Z Camaro. It was pretty cool but the plastic was kinda thin for that scale so it was awfully fragile and didn't survive my second move.

I've seen the 1/18 scale volt's but those are pre-build die-cast. I remain hopeful that someday someone will make a kit.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And just finished the Battlestar Pegasus from the same series.
This one took about 60 hours total (the Galactica took about 50). More lighting means more time spent.

The only photoshop editing on the images was to remove the display stand and darken the background. No touch ups were done to the model itself.

and finally, the Colonial Fleet Survivors "flying" in formation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts