GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how Volt owners go about finding charging stations- do you use an app or the vehicle's technology itself? Is it possible to find charging stations in the Volt's dashboard (for example as a POI) or to use OnStar services?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I usually look for a BP or any other gas station, although if you want to charge the battery, Plugshare is a great App/site. Can filter by type, etc. Can see individuals sharing their own plugs, etc.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
To add, the new Volt has Android Auto (maybe the Apple version too), so you could use your phone and display some info that way. The Volt doesn't have this built in as it has the gasoline fallback, for better or worse.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
PlugShare and Chargepoint seem to be the 2 main stream android apps.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You will want to sign up for ChargePoint, the metered charging stations all seem to be ChargePoints. Plugshare will identify non ChargePoint charging stations also. The non-ChargePoint stations that I've encountered haven't been metered, they are just EVSEs that are setup in a parking lot. The ChargePoints that I've used have all been free, I think the power company is getting green credits by subsidizing the stations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am doing some data grooming so I can develop a database of charge points and import them as POIs into the NAV system so they can be pulled up.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The On-star app will find some charging stations and even let you send turn by turn directions to the car. But plugshare is an essential app. It knows about way more charging sites than On-star does.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As the others have said, Plugshare is a great app. It's on iOS, Android and has a website. It's community based, so you can see info that other EV drivers have shared about a particular charging station. IE: Whether or not it's metered, how to access it, etc.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I do internet research before I travel. ChargePoint lists locations. The Department of Energy provides the location of charging sites. In Colorado, I pay a small registration fee on my Volt to help create a grant covering 80% of charging station costs. I find charging stations at all university parking lots; Whole Foods, Kohls, Hampton Inn are a few commercial entities that encourage charging stations. Envision sells charging stations that are off-grid, solar-powered, and can be installed into any lot without permits. City of Boulder has a few of these stations. City of Golden has charging stations in a free downtown parking ramp. Aspen has a charging station in a pay parking ramp, making it worthless. Estes Park charges so much for its charging station use that gasoline is cheaper for Volt owners due to the slow charging rate. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts