GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the input here on the forum, I installed the Clipper Creek LCS-20 hardwire unit in my garage this past weekend. My electrician buddy helped me relocate an existing 220 line to another wall in the garage. It's so convenient to be fully charged prior to going to bed rather than have it charge most of the night.

Looking forward to more EV miles with my 2012 Volt :)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
A Level II EVSE really changes how you operate your Volt plus there is security in having a dedicated circuit feeding all those electrons plus you get the added bonus of being able to pre-condition before leaving your garage.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I only made it 4 days before installing my L2 charger. Congrats. It makes charging so much more convenient and a bit cheaper too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
A Level II EVSE really changes how you operate your Volt plus there is security in having a dedicated circuit feeding all those electrons plus you get the added bonus of being able to pre-condition before leaving your garage.
New Volt owner here...Bazinga, what did you mean by above, particularly being able to "pre-condition" before leaving your garage? I haven't heard that term before and I've done a fair amount of research prior to buying. Absolutely loving this car, the technology and engineering. After almost 30 years of driving only Nissan products, I can't believe I bought a GM and feel good that I bought an American car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pre-conditioning means remotely powering up your car, while it is still connected to your charger, so that the heat or AC can draw power without draining your battery. During the first 10 minutes there can be a large power draw for temperature conditioning when it is either extremely hot or cold. I've seen a 5kW draw when starting up after work here in the desert.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was already able to remote start and condition the cabin previously.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course. But on level 1 charging you'll be draining the battery. On level 2 it can pull enough energy from the charger to not drain the battery.
Non issue for me, I'd much rather have things comfortable and risk a few electrons while plugged into L1 :)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Pre-conditioning means remotely powering up your car, while it is still connected to your charger, so that the heat or AC can draw power without draining your battery. During the first 10 minutes there can be a large power draw for temperature conditioning when it is either extremely hot or cold. I've seen a 5kW draw when starting up after work here in the desert.
Thanks for responding, great answer. I really enjoy getting into a warm/cool car in the morning on my way to work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We have one L2 Charger, and it happily keeps 2 EVs charged and ready to go. Volt gets priority due to its 100km range, compared to Leaf's ~130km range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts