GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three years of staring enviously at Volt drivers zipping by me on the freeway, I'm behind my brand new 2013 Volt and I couldn't be happier. The wife and I took it for a road trip the day after we brought it home and I've sadly been using the ICE for the majority of this trip, but my daily driving adventures should allow me to be almost exclusively running in electric juice. I've got a few random wonderings that you guys might be able to provide answers for... Probably most of these are in the manual, but I haven't gotten that far yet :).

1). What are three identical, small square-ish buttons up on the roof near the OnStar stuff?
2). Same area. What's that button to the left of the OnStar button do? Looks like a voice command?
3). Is there a way to have the rear camera turn on while driving forward?
4). What exactly is the info-graphic on the driver-side screen telling me when I'm having it display the regen braking/ energy use info?
5). If I have the key fab in my pocket when getting out and walking away from the Volt, will it auto-lock itself? I haven't had the opportunity to test it...

Thanks in advance! Excited to finally be part of the community :)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
1) The buttons are programmable for garage door/gate remote operation.
2) The left side onstar button is for using the OnStar Connections pre-paid hands free phone calls and/or Virtual Advisor which can give you pre-uploaded turn by turn instructions.
3) Not that I know of (other than the first few seconds after you shift into D). Honestly, it's such a fisheye you wouldn't be able to make out anything more than a few carlengths away anyhow.
4) It's telling you how many kW are flowing into or out of the motor and battery.
5) I believe that can be programmed.

Bottom line:

-------------

Wait for it.

Read the manual.

·
Registered
906 Posts
dont feel bad!! I roadtrip my volt all the time.. its so much nicer roadtripping the volt than a regular ICE car... my volt never loses speed going up steep hills.. and NONE of that annoying up and downshifting!!! and it wont overshoot the cruise control if you drive in 'L' in the mountains.. (which you can use 'L' all the time and not hurt a thing.. it gives you more regen breaking than 'D' wthout using the brake pedal)..
-Christopher

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on your new Volt! To have it auto-lock when you walk away:

Config > Vehicle Settings > Remote Lock/Unlock/Start > Passive Door Lock > Select either 'ON' or 'On with horn chirp'

·
8,680 Posts
Congrats! Welcome. It looks like css28 has already addressed your specific questions (he's right about #5 - there's an option in the config menu to turn on called proximity locking or something like that. It usually is not on by default.)

Two weeks after I bought the car, I took it on a 1300 mile road trip (Thanksgiving in Kentucky with some distant family.) Look at it this way: it's the flexibility to do things like that which made you choose the Volt over things like the Leaf or Spark EV, right? So don't feel guilty about using the car as designed. :)

Maybe in a few years a Tesla and superchargers will be a practical alternative. Until then, a Volt uses less gas and costs less to fuel than anything on the road for people that take long trips from time to time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Congrats on your new Volt. You will love it. There are a lot of configuration settings to explore.

It sounds like you will be mostly EV, but it is nice that you don't have to worry about it if you want to take a longer drive.

If you are interested in more data about your Volt and others in the real world, check out Voltstats.net.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy the car. As for running the generator, that's what it's there for, and it's pretty efficient. If you're a typical Volt driver you'll end up with getting something in the vicinity of 175 MPG.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on your new Volt! To have it auto-lock when you walk away:

Config > Vehicle Settings > Remote Lock/Unlock/Start > Passive Door Lock > Select either 'ON' or 'On with horn chirp'
Awesome, thanks. I'll go check that out today.

Also excited that one of those buttons up there is a programmable one for the garage door.... That's really convenient!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts

Also excited that one of those buttons up there is a programmable one for the garage door.... That's really convenient!
I recommend that you follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual for programming the button to open and close the garage door. It is not hard to do. You may have to go through the steps more than once (although I was successful the first time), but the convenience makes it worth it. Good luck with your new Volt. After a year and a half, I still have my "Volt grin" every time I drive my car 8^)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Welcome to a growing family of happy owners.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

Actually there are three...:)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Looks like all your questions have been answered so all I say is welcome aboard. And please consider joining VoltStats.net

3,600 Posts
After three years of staring enviously at Volt drivers zipping by me on the freeway, I'm behind my brand new 2013 Volt and I couldn't be happier. The wife and I took it for a road trip the day after we brought it home and I've sadly been using the ICE for the majority of this trip, but my daily driving adventures should allow me to be almost exclusively running in electric juice. I've got a few random wonderings that you guys might be able to provide answers for... Probably most of these are in the manual, but I haven't gotten that far yet :).

1). What are three identical, small square-ish buttons up on the roof near the OnStar stuff?
2). Same area. What's that button to the left of the OnStar button do? Looks like a voice command?
3). Is there a way to have the rear camera turn on while driving forward?
4). What exactly is the info-graphic on the driver-side screen telling me when I'm having it display the regen braking/ energy use info?
5). If I have the key fab in my pocket when getting out and walking away from the Volt, will it auto-lock itself? I haven't had the opportunity to test it...

Thanks in advance! Excited to finally be part of the community :)
Afternoon Alki_Soupboy,
Congrats on your New Volt! Welcome to the Chevrolet EV Family! You will have a Dedicated Advisor! IF you could PM me with the last 8 of your VIN and the best way for you to be reached, I will have them contact you!

Happy Driving and Congrats Again!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on your new Volt. You will love it. There are a lot of configuration settings to explore.

It sounds like you will be mostly EV, but it is nice that you don't have to worry about it if you want to take a longer drive.

If you are interested in more data about your Volt and others in the real world, check out Voltstats.net.
Signed up and and ready. Thanks for the tip :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recommend that you follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual for programming the button to open and close the garage door. It is not hard to do. You may have to go through the steps more than once (although I was successful the first time), but the convenience makes it worth it. Good luck with your new Volt. After a year and a half, I still have my "Volt grin" every time I drive my car 8^)
I did have to break out the manual to get the garage door configured, but it was pretty easy (no legs were broken trying to push the button on the garage door opener, then run down the ladder and hold the button down in the Volt...) :)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I did have to break out the manual to get the garage door configured, but it was pretty easy (no legs were broken trying to push the button on the garage door opener, then run down the ladder and hold the button down in the Volt...) :)
I admit, you do have to be nimble 8^D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts