GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, 2017 Volt here, almost 109k on the ol' ticker. Got to work yesterday with 22 miles on the GOM. Got in the car to drive home and it's at 1 with the CEL on. A few times restarting it, the number climbed from 1 to 22 then I got it started and drove straight to get a new 12v battery, thinking that was the issue. I had the original 12v battery and it said it needed to be charged (according to the guy at batteries plus). Got it changed, drove home and charged it overnight. Got in this morning and had the CEL and has the same faults as last night (see image). I will be getting the car towed to the Chevy dealer to get diagnosed with, probably a BECM. Any advice for me?
Brown Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Carmine

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
There is a 3-4 month delay in getting a replacement BECM :-(

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 120k+ Miles
1,247 Posts
Yes, those codes are the BECM. GIven that you're out of warranty, please post the repair price. Most of the replacements were under warranty. Hopefully you have a 2nd car. As Steverino stated, the wait time is long on this.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I absolutely loved my 2018 Volt, but the BECM and EGR problems were the 100% reason I traded it for a 2022 Bolt EUV. Those problems may or may not have eventually occurred on my Volt, but I'm not disappointed I made the switch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I absolutely loved my 2018 Volt, but the BECM and EGR problems were the 100% reason I traded it for a 2022 Bolt EUV. Those problems may or may not have eventually occurred on my Volt, but I'm not disappointed I made the switch.
I would love to switch to a Bolt but between the brutal winters in Wisconsin and slow charging time, I don't think that's the best choice for me at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,207 Posts
I would love to switch to a Bolt but between the brutal winters in Wisconsin and slow charging time, I don't think that's the best choice for me at the moment.
Well, you got nothin' right now, and might have your Volt functional by spring. What's your plan for winter?

·
Registered
291 Posts
The same thought has crossed my mind but an 8-12 month wait here for an EUV.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,207 Posts
The same thought has crossed my mind but an 8-12 month wait here for an EUV.
all the more reason to order now, if it meets your needs. I want Ultium so I'm waiting for an Equinox EV, but you can bet I'll have that reservation in within hours of them opening for the right trim.

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,241 Posts
The Chevy Volt was designed to show Toyota that GM could build a superior Prius. Now Toyota has created a superior Volt! Oh, the irony!

Reactions: niccolo

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
The Chevy Volt was designed to show Toyota that GM could build a superior Prius. Now Toyota has created a superior Volt! Oh, the irony!
I thought the same thing. Lutz must be unhappy.

While GM had plans to introduce a Volt SUV (we all said they should), in order to get the finances right for funding GM's drive into EV's and autonomous vehicles Barra was aggressively cutting money losing overseas operations, unneeded plants in the US and money losing projects in general. Given it had decided around 2017 to go all in on EV's the money losing Volt era was another victim of belt tightening. Each Volt sold was a $19,000 loss. Selling more would not help.

The Bolt's are money losers too but at $9,000 each, much less than the Volt. And the Bolt EV (and it's loss) was a needed first step to GM's all EV future. Without it, GM would be further behind and we would not see the stream of new EV's starting with the Hummer or the Ultium platform it's based on. Shutting excess plants resulted in a costly strike followed by a costly Covid shutdown, followed by a costly chip shortage and of course a costly Bolt battery recall. Though battered, GM was in better shape to withstand those storms due to the domestic and overseas plant closings.

Interesting note, the Volt's battery was designed by GM. Never any fire issues, The Bolt's battery was by LG. Getting an embarrasing PR black eye, the recall costs and the unhappy customers due to an LG design was too much. GM has decided to design it's own batteries again and Ultium will manufacture them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just heard on the news an hour or so ago that GM's Barra said that their EV division will break even (or was it be profitable?) in 2025.

·
Registered
291 Posts
all the more reason to order now, if it meets your needs. I want Ultium so I'm waiting for an Equinox EV, but you can bet I'll have that reservation in within hours of them opening for the right trim.
I can't argue with you there but part of me wants to also wait for Ultium but not sure I want to buy a first year model. I'd expect the Bolts to drop in price at the time the Equinox EV's start showing up.

·
Registered
2011 Highlander Hybrid, 2017 Volt Premier
106 Posts
Interesting note, the Volt's battery was designed by GM. Never any fire issues, The Bolt's battery was by LG. Getting an embarrasing PR black eye, the recall costs and the unhappy customers due to an LG design was too much.
I think it's needed to say, that Bolt's battery is 3.5 times bigger and so statisticaly it's 3.5 times more prone to defects. Also it was manufactured after the production process was settled and was ready to some cost reductons, which could lead to quality degradation. Besides, they could try to adjust the software to use the battery more heavily after 10 years of no issues with Volts.

Just speculating though...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts