GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll let the video do most of the explaining (it's only about a minute long) , but basically it's a project I came up with that allows me to hit a button and a tube drops down from the ceiling that has my Level 2 charge cord in it.

I like having a clean/clutter free garage, and this was a fun thing to do. Core of it, is a 24" stroke, 35# force linear actuator. Little tinkering here and building there. Came out quite nice. Keep a wireless FOB in the car that controls it, and one on the garage wall as backup.

The video I made showcases it's function and the internal setup in the attic. You can ignore the link in the youtube video, this is a video I'm sending into progressive automations as they have a very cool sponsorship program that has the ability to pay for most or all of your project if it's unique and well done.

Click full screen for the 1080p high resolution version :)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello..... works good. People have gotten patents on less.
2 to 1 (?) ratio on the pulleys, similiar to what some elevators do. So the actuator has twice the wieght of the charger assembly on it. Wonder if a 48" stroke actuator would be less.
If I saw that right, the stroke of the assembly is twice the stroke of the actuator.

I'll let the video do most of the explaining (it's only about a minute long) , but basically it's a project I came up with that allows me to hit a button and a tube drops down from the ceiling that has my Level 2 charge cord in it.

I like having a clean/clutter free garage, and this was a fun thing to do. Core of it, is a 24" stroke, 35# force linear actuator. Little tinkering here and building there. Came out quite nice. Keep a wireless FOB in the car that controls it, and one on the garage wall as backup.

The video I made showcases it's function and the internal setup in the attic. You can ignore the link in the youtube video, this is a video I'm sending into progressive automations as they have a very cool sponsorship program that has the ability to pay for most or all of your project if it's unique and well done.

Click full screen for the 1080p high resolution version :)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello..... works good. People have gotten patents on less.
2 to 1 (?) ratio on the pulleys, similiar to what some elevators do. So the actuator has twice the wieght of the charger assembly on it. Wonder if a 48" stroke actuator would be less.
If I saw that right, the stroke of the assembly is twice the stroke of the actuator.
Yup - a 48" actuator would give me the stroke I need and have a 1:1 weight on it, however due to height restrictions of where I wanted to place it, the storke would extend into the roofline. Plus the longer the stroke, the more restrictions/options you have in terms of travel speed or load, not to mention the bigger they are the more expensive they get.

My setup is a 24" stroke unit, 35# force, 2" per second travel under no weight. With the pulley system, the stroke is theoretically 4" per second. In reality it's a little more than 3" per second due to the load on it going back up.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Looks better than Elon Musk's snake!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
One thing to consider doing is to encase(box in) the part above the garage ceiling with drywall. If you had a fire in the garage, it would not take much for the heat and flame to egress through the ceiling hole and into the attic space and allow the fire to spread beyond the garage. Also, it would be a potential source for CO to escape into the dwelling if it is an attached garage which I assume it is.

Cool it is, code it is not but it looks very easy to build a drywall box around it and problem is solved.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would also like one similar to that but comes up out of the driveway instead as I charge outside! Now that would be real cool too. I suspect snow, ice and water may be an issue for me though. Would also require a lot of excavation too. I would have the coolest driveway charge setup though.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Cool, you used the pulley idea to increase the travel.....

Video for the click-through averse:

I was hoping to see someone pull out an EVSE plug and hook it up to the car. Making another video perhaps?

P.S. Nice grouping on that target framed on the wall.
P.S.S. Next idea: Have the cord feed out too, either at the same time (fix a pulley to the top of the tube) or with another actuator after the tube drops.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Cool, you used the pulley idea to increase the travel.....

Video for the click-through averse:

I was hoping to see someone pull out an EVSE plug and hook it up to the car. Making another video perhaps?

P.S. Nice grouping on that target framed on the wall.
P.S.S. Next idea: Have the cord feed out too, either at the same time (fix a pulley to the top of the tube) or with another actuator after the tube drops.
Thanks!

Yes, for a while I toyed with the idea of having some sort of mechanism that would feed out (or at least retract) the cord back into the tube. The most cost effective method I found would have been just buying a 12V high torque motor spooling up a length of the charge cable and wirining the motor to perhaps a little switch on the side of bottom of the charge tube. Hit the switch and it would pull up any excess lenght. I kind of abandoned that idea though as it takes only about 3 seconds to put the charge connector in the tube and tuck any extra wire back in there. I left enough slack such that when extended down there's about 4 feet or so of cable "free" and easily reaches the car's charge port. There's way way more slack tied off in the attic should I ever need it.

I actually made a previous video (before all the finishing touches were complete) of the tube coming down, and me pulling out the charger and plugging it into the car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43StlmLlo20

The main difference in this earlier video is that I hadn't perfected the baffle trim area on the ceiling, since my rafters are wonky and getting this thing "aligned" was quite an effort, you can see I was using a 6" recessed light trim kit in this video. It worked, but it was too small towards the end and the tube would catch. Since finding 7 or 8" recessed lighting baffle trim is next to impossible, I made my own out of the top part of an 8" planter cut down :) Plenty of space for clearance and cheap to boot! The only purpose is to provide a nice clean look from where the drywall has been cut into.

enjoy!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yup - a 48" actuator would give me the stroke I need and have a 1:1 weight on it, however due to height restrictions of where I wanted to place it, the storke would extend into the roofline. Plus the longer the stroke, the more restrictions/options you have in terms of travel speed or load, not to mention the bigger they are the more expensive they get.

My setup is a 24" stroke unit, 35# force, 2" per second travel under no weight. With the pulley system, the stroke is theoretically 4" per second. In reality it's a little more than 3" per second due to the load on it going back up.
Since you are using a pulley system already, the actuator doesn't have to be vertical. Personally I view the pulley ratio you used as a speed enhancer rather than a space enhancer. If you could have a heavy duty actuator with an even faster moving load that would be even better... think "blast door from the death star" speed :)

Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts