GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
There are some ways to fight oil usage (cut out specific importation countries and just import mainly from Canada and Mexico). That is to conserve. My favorite is a 4-day school and work week. The HS I went to decades ago got into a 4-day school week back two years ago. They actually have a higher # of education hours per week though it is 4-days per week. You save: School Bus operation by 20%, driving to school for all parties 20%, one day less preparation of school lunches, energy usage drops by a good amount with lights and heating/cooling modified 1 additional day. It lets some students take on additional part-time jobs and do full-day extra-curricular activities on Fridays. For work weeks where commutes are needed to some business center somewhere to attend meetings and hang out in the office - make one workday a mandatory telecommute day (if not more).

Could a 4-day week "solve" energy demand? Not sure, probably not. In some ways it could lead to more trouble, though, with weekends becoming one day longer of some kids not having anything to do. I will say that the HS was private and a small class size of about 35-45 students per grade (in the 1980s, was about 100 per grade).

I would like us to bring home the troops and I keep hearing from all sorts of sources that the main issue they are fighting is our existence in their countries. Like fighting a bee-hive with a broom, the best solution to that problem is not to be there fighting the bees with that broom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.