GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Washing my Volt this past weekend I noticed the passenger side fender has a new shape. Yup, a vertical dent with a slight crease likely caused by someone whacking my car with their door. Sadness.

I googled "paintless dent repair", "paintless dent removal" and found a few local listings. I called one and made an appointment to have the dent evaluated. It was about 5 inches long and started from the wheel well opening and went up from there. After looking it over, the repair guy quoted me $150, ready in two hours.

He wasn't sure if the fender was aluminum or steel (it's steel). He said I must have one of the 10 sold in the states, I told him there were over 20,000 now and it was outselling half the other car models. He was surprised, but then this was the first Volt he'd seen in person.

Two hours later I picked up my baby. The fender was good as new. Even though I knew where the dent had been, there was no sign of it now. A fantastic job.

I called him (he's an independent that floats from shop to shop during the day) to tell him how good the job was. The local repair shop he was working at that morning specializes in Mercedes, BMW's, Volvos. He told me my Volt received a LOT of favorable attention from the mechanics. Of course, I had purposefully left the display set to the mileage screen, and my car is usually very, very clean. They took turns sitting in the Volt, looking at the gauges, and listening to the lack of noise.

He told me one of the mechanics declared he was going to get a Volt. That made me almost as happy as the fender work!

After picture (sorry forgot to get a before). The dent was to the right of the Volt letter "T" and ran down into the bull nosing/flair of the wheel well opening:

DSC06739.jpg

·
Registered
977 Posts
Glad it ended as well as one could expect.. I looked into a similar service for my creased/scratched hood, but unfortunately it only works on ferrous materials and the hood didn't hold a magnet so I assume it's aluminum. Replacement hood w/paint is about $1k. I think I'll hold off for awhile, as given my luck the day I fix it is the day I get into an accident.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great job and good info. I hadn't realized that these services were that good. Thanks for the post

·
Registered
481 Posts
I had the exact same dent on the same front fender. Guess we need to park farther away or something. Anyhow, here in the Detroit East-side area, I would recommend the "Doctor of Dents, Inc." out of Shelby Twp (Al Vance: 586-383-3368.) 'The Dr.' will come to your house, which is nice. One dent, $65.00; more than one dent, negotiable. Fender looks 'like new'!

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first time using a service like this, but seeing the results, I would do it again. I want to keep my Volt in mint condition.

I park in the wilderness area of parking lots. But at work, no such area exists. Always full. So the car grts parked to the right of a handicap (no worries there) spot or curb, and all the way to the left in the space to allow maximum room on the right. In this case, that was not enough.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I used a similar service via the Cadillac dealer when my CTSv got the big hail whacking. Car came back perfect.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ugh - I am dreading the first ding. Learned the little buggers (aka offspring) have been kicking the seat backs and back side of the center console. Trying to stay rational, but on the verge of banning shoes in the car.
:rolleyes:

Back to your topic though, we too have used one of those roving ding guys before too - our Volvo dealership recommended one. Pretty amazing results.

Glad it's all better and that the car did a great job managing its own PR.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Guess we need to park farther away or something.
I have this annoying thing that no matter how farther away I park, there's always someone, who will park next to my Ampera, with his wheels over his parking lines. Of course, his clearance to the next car is huge, but clearance to my Ampera is small.

Sometimes I park my Ampera as far away from other vehicles as I can, so there's no car 2 or three parking spaces left and right. When I come back, there's usually car park right by my Ampera, while there's still plenty of parking spaces left around.

I always look for dents..

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I had hail damage on my Leaf recently and got PDR and it looked great afterwords.

However - a few days ago somebody rammed my car with a shopping cart in the parking lot. It actually scraped the paint away and left raw metal in places. I think they may have actually hit the cart with their car and pushed it into my vehicle. So anyway, I don't think any "paintless" method is going to work for me since the car needs paint.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have this annoying thing that no matter how farther away I park, there's always someone, who will park next to my Ampera, with his wheels over his parking lines. Of course, his clearance to the next car is huge, but clearance to my Ampera is small.

Sometimes I park my Ampera as far away from other vehicles as I can, so there's no car 2 or three parking spaces left and right. When I come back, there's usually car park right by my Ampera, while there's still plenty of parking spaces left around.

I always look for dents..
Ya, I don't quite get it. I'll park waaaaaayyyyy out in the middle of nowwhere at a large parking lot (much to my wife's dismay). When I return, there is a car parked right next to me. No other cars around for many, many spaces, but here they are parked up nice and close to my car.
Glad your car is back to "brand new" condition, Steve! Looks like they did a perfect job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I noticed the same thing. I park way in the back So there is no reason to park by me.
And when I came out later, there were 5 cars all around me. WTF??
As I got closer, there were 2 Mercedes, 2 BMW's and one Cadillac. Ok, I can live with that.
My guess is they park next to nicer cars so they won't get scratched. :)

Ya, I don't quite get it. I'll park waaaaaayyyyy out in the middle of nowwhere at a large parking lot (much to my wife's dismay). When I return, there is a car parked right next to me. No other cars around for many, many spaces, but here they are parked up nice and close to my car.
Glad your car is back to "brand new" condition, Steve! Looks like they did a perfect job.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ugh - I am dreading the first ding. Learned the little buggers (aka offspring) have been kicking the seat backs and back side of the center console. Trying to stay rational, but on the verge of banning shoes in the car.
My 5 year old taught me early to buy the seat back protectors. I guess I'm lucky as that's always been her focal point. She doesn't go after the center console.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This info could not have been more timely for me. My parents were visiting this week and my father put a baby seat mount on a rail above where my car is parked in the garage...which promptly fell off. Even more unlucky, it landed so that the metal loops on an otherwise plastic item hit the hood, leaving two hail type dents. I hope that having them in the hood will not rule out the use of this procedure.

I actually felt bad for my dad, who has always been hyper vigilant about his cars. We even joked that it was revenge for when I was eight and dented a car with my bike. He had held on to that for a long time.

·
Registered
481 Posts
@focher: Generally speaking, if the 'Dingman' can get to the ding, and the paint is not broken, he can fix it. Much better way to go than metal-finishing if it can be done! Dry-ice is another method that can be used; this procedure was successful on my badly dinged VW after a hail storm. So, good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts