GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FedEx chairman Frederick W Smith said electric vehicles are cutting operating costs by more than two-thirds compared to vehicles with internal combustion engines.

Smith was speaking before the National Association for Business Economists on Tuesday about how America could revitalise its economy. One of his key recommendations was to reduce the nation’s reliance on imported petroleum – with about 70% of America’s daily oil consumption currently used in transportation.

http://postandparcel.info/46834/new...ic-vehicles-achieve-70-lower-operating-costs/

What's that about EV's not being economical?

Text Logo Font Brand Graphics

In related news, Ron Freund, chairman of the Electric Auto Association, said,

‘Electric vehicles are significantly more efficient, converting stored chemical energy to motion much better than an internal combustion engine ever can,’ he says. ‘Internal combustion (sometimes called infernal combustion) is 20 to 21 per cent efficient, with most of the energy in gasoline lost to heat. Electric motors are much more efficient (60 to 70 per cent). I can generate my own electricity from rooftop solar panels and including all losses for electricity, the cost per mile to drive electric is much lower. Even with coal power, driving an EV destroys less of the planet than driving a gasser.’

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Great post Steverino!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yup. Nice post. It is true for me, even while going from a Civic to the Volt. I went from spending on ave $210/month in gas to around $90/month for gas and electric. I'll save even more this summer as my commute will be mostly gas free.

I remember reading all the Steverino posts back in March - June 2011 while waiting for our Volts to arrive. Got mine in early June 2011. Those were fun times and I still have fun driving my Volt. As a side note saw another black Volt 2 miles from my house in NH today, so maybe sales in the Northeast are picking up too. Don't see too many around here yet.

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got mine in early June 2011. Those were fun times and I still have fun driving my Volt.
I too am still driving with a smile. No other car has affected me as deeply as the Volt. Sure, I could have waited for the deals and lower prices (that's my normal approach), but I have no regrets jumping in early. The water is fine.

Volt owners know (or suspect) that EV's are a good deal long term. It's just nice to see a company with the reputation of FedEx validating that. You can be sure that where FedEx goes, UPS and others will follow. Shippers are notorious for eeking out efficiency where ever they can.

A company that spends as much on transportation as FedEx can't be ignored when they say EV's have 70% lower operating costs than ICE-powered vehicles. That kind of savings will cause change regardless of politics. Fox etc, can rail all they want, but companies like FedEx, focused on profits, will go where the savings lead them. And that sure sounds like EV's.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Via Motors is going after this market and, if Bob Lutz is speaking truthfully, Via has stopped marketing because they've sold out of their first two years of production. Electrics are great cash savers because their operating costs are so low. Guys in green eyeshades who get paid to find the best deals can figure this out. Consumers not so much because they focus on the initial acquisition price or the monthly payments.

In some ways our Leaf reminds me of the original Hondas and Toyotas. It's not a bad car and what it lacks in luxuries it makes up for by simply going and going without any costly stops at gas stations or other service. Ditto for the Volt of course, but the Volt is a more upscale car than those original Hondas and Toyotas.

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who are we to believe? The entrepreneur who built FedEx into a powerhouse with one of the largest transportation fleets in the world, or the Fox News anchors like Neil Cavuto who calls electric vehicles and the Volt "stupid"? Do we believe the guy who built an industry by being more efficient, or a guy who gets paid to read a teleprompter and can't remember to plug in an appliance?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts