GM Volt Forum banner

FCX Clarity on the Road

14K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Texas 
Your backward thinking got us into this mess. I want reliability, safety and economy regardless of the appearance of the vehicle. Hello, it is transportation not ART.
Whoa, there, big boy.

Car design, like clothing design, home design, computers, cell phones, furniture, buildings, etc...... ANYTHING that is made practically, is produced for function AND appeal. Cars are not "just transportation", no more than a home is "just a roof and 4 walls". People aspire for many things depending on your position on the economic ladder. Aspirations are what drives people to do better, live better, get better education. Key to aspirations are the design, style, and appeal of the cars, homes, clothes, etc that they desire. Like it or not, we do not live in a logical, analytical, emotionless world.

If the ART is taken out of car design, and everything else apparently by your apparent lack of appeciation for it, the world would be a depressing place. Modern economies are designed around the appeal and style of products, as well as function.

We don't live in holes in the ground for a more than one reason, you know. :)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the appearance of the Prius. In fact, it beats hands down the appearance of other Toyota's such as the Camry or the Corolla. Not to mention anything from GM. In addition to the sleek outside appearance, a lot of attention was paid to ergonomics on the inside, and the car is loaded with conveniences and luxuries.

The Fisker Karma, on the other hand, just looks like an ugly catfish! It blows my mind that anyone can find this thing with it's gaping (is it a mouth or a moustache?) hole attractive.

Well, I have to agree that if there is anything on the Fisker that I do not like, it is the size and overall shape of the grille opening. I would prefer it to be somewhat smaller, like a Pontiac grille. This is a very small styling issue, since the grille opening, for an EV, is not integral to the car's mechanical function.

As far as the Prius, different people see different things, I guess. I know no one who prefers the Prius design over the Fisker design, or the Volt concept design for that matter. Of course my friends are a small sample and they are mostly car enthusiasts. But even my mom and dad preferred th Fisker.

You are obviously a Toyota fan, if you think the Prius is a more attractive design than "anything from GM". That's fine, and I could imagine you will find a few others that agree with you. I would guess that 99% of the public will not agree with that statement.

This forum is biased against the Prius, its a GM Volt forum last I checked. I would imagine a Prius forum would be biased against the Volt. But I wouldn't know since I have zero interest to visit one.

J in MN,

I make broad statements too. Don't usually recognize them until its too late. Part of the fun here. But I still disagree about some things. The HHR is a neat little vehicle, from those I know who have one. I'm not a big fan either of the G6 styling, or the monte carlo. GM has its issues as well in the styling area, but they have shown some great potential in some cars. Thats why I have hope for them above most others.

Car rentals are not a good way to judge a model's selling points. Not the ones I've been in! And I've been in a lot too. Just another way the domestics have shot themselves in the foot, too many fleet sales of cheap cars. A bad impression.

I am just hoping GM can win back some customers who fled when the quality was poorer. They only have themselves to blame for this. But I have a problem with the quality gap arguments now, since I simply don't think it exists much anymore. I think people who promote a gap now are just playing with past prejudice, and that bothers me.

I just want GM to get a fair shake by comparison, thats all. I think if people did give them a fair chance, they would be selling a lot more cars. And the buyers would be surprisingly happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.