GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/videos.aspx?Num=1

The first FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicle that's ready for the road emerged from the production facility on June 16, 2008, and was appropriately marked with a gala celebration.

As part of the ceremony, the first lucky Southern California customers to slip behind the wheel of this sophisticated clean machine were announced. A few of the hand-picked drivers attended the ceremony, including film producer Ron Yerxa (Little Miss Sunshine) who will take first delivery in July, actress Laura Harris, and the original FCX driver, Jon Spallino. The Spallino family leased the first FCX in 2005.

Other FCX Clarity early adopters include author and actress Jamie Lee Curtis, her filmmaker husband Christopher Guest, and business owner and car enthusiast Jim Salomon.

Honda plans to lease several dozen FCX Clarity models per year, totaling close to 200 units in the first three years. Since its Tokyo concept debut, Honda has received requests from nearly 40,000 individuals who have indicated their interest in receiving further updates about the vehicle and about being considered as future customers of Honda fuel cell technology.

Full PR: http://links.mkt015.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MjA0NjYwNgS2&r=MTMxNzg0NzQ2OTAS1&j=NTIwNTk5NTIS1&mt=1

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I am happy to see the Japanese move forward with FCV, but they need to put a plug and some batteries in it, to further reduce a driver's transportation costs.

I absolutely hate the Prius shape to it. It is a 100% clean vehicle, so who cares how much mileage you lose due to a better looking design.

Fisker knows how to design a vehicle:

Link

·
Registered
89 Posts
I absolutely hate the Prius shape to it. It is a 100% clean vehicle, so who cares how much mileage you lose due to a better looking design.
I do. No matter how "clean" the vehicle is, it still uses energy. And it is energy consumption that is at the root of all evil.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Link
Looks like Honda borrowed the Prius dies from Toyota. UCK!

I'm going to take the space here to post something that probably should rightfully be in a separate post, but here goes anyway...

The Prius has become so prevalent on the road that my wife equates the Prius with hybrid and electric cars. She thinks that they all look like that and that they will all always have that shape. AND SHE HATES IT! She wants style. When I told her we were getting a Volt when they became available her first reaction was, "I won't drive one of those ugly things". When I pressed her what she meant, she said, "I see those hybrids on the road all the time and they are just so ugly". We were driving at the time, so I said, "Why do you say that?" She pointed at a Prius and said, "There! That's one of them. I hate those. They are just so ugly".

Well folks, she was partly right, the Prius is butt ugly. When I explained to her that the Toyota Prius was just one of several different hybrids on the road she didn't know that. She had no idea that some of the others like the Civic or the Escape, were hybrids and looked just like "real cars", as she put it.

Anyway, Toyota has done a great branding job with Prius. They made it stand out, and they managed to capture an entire sub-group of car buyers who actually want an ugly car. (They used to buy VW Beatles didn't they?) But in the process they have convinced a lot of totally uninformed people that electric cars have to be different looking and they have to be ugly. GM will have some marketing work to do to overcome this bias. I'm assuming of course that Chevy makes the Volt look good. If they make another ugly Prius knock-off. Well, let's hope that there are still more ex-VW buyers out there who haven't bought a Toyota yet.

·
3,689 Posts
What is wrong with me today? I agree on a major point that Jason brought up. I also believe that once we hit stride with clean, renewable and sustainable use of our resources we should push it to the max. The more we use the more it pushes us to get more. First we harness the power of the Earth. Then we move out and use more of the power from the sun and so on and so on. This is how we as a civilization evolve.

We are a far from that point in our evolution. We now must conserve the best we can and wean ourselves from non-renewables. That’s why I think the Prius is a very sharp car. Maybe I just see the efficiency or that it’s the start of something great. I like it. The new Honda hydrogen car is beautiful! What are you all thinking? Anyway, even if it’s still just a science project and by the time they produce number 201 in three years there will be a quick-charge battery that makes the hydrogen car obsolete we should all cheer.

Let all celebrate the first production hydrogen car. I hope this will get us all moving quickly down the technology curve. When is the first American hydrogen car coming out? I have no idea. Regardless, this is good technology development! Thus, the BEV will win but hydrogen technology will probably be quite useful.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I do. No matter how "clean" the vehicle is, it still uses energy. And it is energy consumption that is at the root of all evil.
And all this time I thought money was.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
pennor,

Make sure she gets a good look at the link I provided above. I think the Fisker is the best looking of any car - standard, hybrid or electric.
I'd take the Lightning over the Fisker. The Fisker's grill looks like the Joker from Batman. It's over the top a bit and a little cartooney. The Lightning is pretty darn good all around except the rear window buttresses are way too big and chunky. A little tweeking on both cars and they could be world classics. I'd probably take the Camaro over either one for looks though. Love the tough, scrappy muscle car look.

·
Registered
368 Posts
People still have to eat? Go figure....

And it is energy consumption that is at the root of all evil.
Now thats just plain silly.
All living things must consume energy, and we all feed on death; including vegetarians.
Even a self made man depends on the sun for his survival.

·
Registered
181 Posts
pennor,

Make sure she gets a good look at the link I provided above. I think the Fisker is the best looking of any car - standard, hybrid or electric.
I agree. The Fisker is a real looker! I just don't have any faith that I'll ever actually see one in person. 60 years ago the Tucker was a real looker and technological inovator. There were 48 of them made before the company went belly up. Therein lies the problem with all of these little companies with great web sites and cool products. I doubt that 1 in 50 of them will ever market a product and I seriously doubt that any of them will be able to take on the established manufactuers. I chear their efforts. I even drool over their concept cars, even if most of them only exist as JPG's in a computer server somewhere. Maybe this is why I'm so excited about the Volt. I think GM can pull it off and sell me a real car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really? Oil was cheap and abudant!

Typical Progressive - all consumption is bad - attitude. If the energy your vehicle uses is renewable, cheap and abundant, then there is no reason to limit it in any way.
Your backward thinking got us into this mess. I want reliability, safety and economy regardless of the appearance of the vehicle. Hello, it is transportation not ART.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I agree. The Fisker is a real looker! I just don't have any faith that I'll ever actually see one in person. 60 years ago the Tucker was a real looker and technological inovator. There were 48 of them made before the company went belly up. Therein lies the problem with all of these little companies with great web sites and cool products. I doubt that 1 in 50 of them will ever market a product and I seriously doubt that any of them will be able to take on the established manufactuers. I chear their efforts. I even drool over their concept cars, even if most of them only exist as JPG's in a computer server somewhere. Maybe this is why I'm so excited about the Volt. I think GM can pull it off and sell me a real car.
Fisker has based his vehicle on alternative propulsions systems from a Tier 1 supplier to the automotive industry, and is contracting manufacturing in Europe and the US, which is done all the time. His business model is sound, whereas DeLorean's was not - he tried to build his own factories.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Your backward thinking got us into this mess. I want reliability, safety and economy regardless of the appearance of the vehicle. Hello, it is transportation not ART.
Whoa, there, big boy.

Car design, like clothing design, home design, computers, cell phones, furniture, buildings, etc...... ANYTHING that is made practically, is produced for function AND appeal. Cars are not "just transportation", no more than a home is "just a roof and 4 walls". People aspire for many things depending on your position on the economic ladder. Aspirations are what drives people to do better, live better, get better education. Key to aspirations are the design, style, and appeal of the cars, homes, clothes, etc that they desire. Like it or not, we do not live in a logical, analytical, emotionless world.

If the ART is taken out of car design, and everything else apparently by your apparent lack of appeciation for it, the world would be a depressing place. Modern economies are designed around the appeal and style of products, as well as function.

We don't live in holes in the ground for a more than one reason, you know. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
And I echo everyone else here, the Fisker is a beautiful car. There is no reason our electric cars have to look like a Prius when you look at a Fisker Karma.

Good design costs the same as ugly design.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts