GM Volt Forum banner

FCA Relocating Ram Heavy Duty Truck Production to U.S.

6K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Fyodor 
#1 ·
Special bonus of $2,000 to 60,000 U.S. employees also planned

FCA to shift heavy-duty Ram output to U.S. from Mexico

FCA said Thursday the Michigan plant expansion and special payments were made possible in part by U.S. tax reform passed late last year that will reduce the company's corporate tax bill.

FCA Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne said a year ago the company could shift heavy-truck output from Mexico to Michigan, depending on the outcome of tax reform legislation and proposed changes to the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Billions in U.S. investments, $120 million in employee bonuses and new jobs created...... Not too shabby.

#3 ·
American companies will continue to respond positively to what Trump and Congress are doing. GDP growth is already back up levels not seen for 12 years. You may not like the bully in the White House, but he is a better business man than any President for the past 10 or 20 years.

#12 ·
*cough*

Anyone remember that Carrier plant he was so excited to have "saved"?

Not so much.

https://www.reuters.com/video/2018/01/11/carrier-sends-jobs-to-mexico-despite-tru?videoId=381923001

And Ford's hot on their tails.

https://fsmnews.com/Articles/Ford-Aims-to-Move-Production-to-Mexico/article.aspx?Article=2761

I suspect there was a bigger picture reason why they moved this truck production back and the "tax code changes" was just a feelgood thing they added on at the last minute. These sorts of major logistical decisions are made months or years in advance - it's not like Chrysler just suddenly made a snap decision a few weeks ago when the changes passed to do this.

Good news, sure...but a fallacy to think this is 100% anything to do with the tax changes.

#6 ·
Must have had a bad experience. My other car is an '07 300c and it has been very reliable - down side is hemi likes gas and it is very tempting to feel that torque.
Don't get me wrong -I like the Volt especially it's ability to stay all electric (except winter).

#10 ·
And it costs how much to join Mar-A-Lago now?
Not to be too critical, but the current American administration is making a complete fool of itself in front of a very connected world audience.
American protectionism will end up damaging the economy and the social welfare of your society. You can't sell these HD Dodge trucks to people who, even with a modest raise to $11/hr, will never be able to afford them.

#11 ·
We've got $80k trucks and $100k Jeeps on the lot that don't sit for more than a week after rolling off the haulers. I think "my" society is doing great.

What you don't get is we've been playing the fool for too long, and you're seeing the effects of us shaking that off.

Now, back on topic. Again.

#16 ·
By the time those trucks hit the road, FCA will probably no longer be an Italian company and be owned by the Chinese.

FCA builds their large cars here in my town, in a factory that has been owned by Renault, Daimler, and now FIAT. Rumour has it they have held off a product refresh until the long term ownership is assured.

I'd like to know what is going into the plant that the trucks have been taken out of. FCA doesn't seem capable of success in the everyday car market.

#19 · (Edited)
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said on Thursday it will shift production of Ram heavy-duty pickup trucks from Mexico to Michigan in 2020, a move that lowers the risk to the automaker’s profit should President Donald Trump pull the United States out of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

If the United States exits NAFTA, it could mean that automakers would pay a 25 percent duty on pickup trucks assembled in Mexico and shipped to the United States. About 90 percent of the Ram heavy-duty pickups made at Fiat Chrysler’s Saltillo plant in Mexico are sold in the United States or Canada, company officials said.

Negotiators for the United States, Mexico and Canada are scheduled to meet later this month for another round of talks on revising NAFTA. Canadian government officials earlier this week said they are convinced that Trump intends to announce his intention to quit the agreement.

Miguel Ceballos, FCA spokesman for Mexico, said the company in 2018 and 2019 expects more growth in Mexico, and the moment it stops producing the Ram Heavy Duty pickups it will start to produce the new commercial vehicle, “which still does not have a name,” Ceballos said.

“It is going to be for global distribution, at the moment the Ram is only distributed at the level of NAFTA,” he said.

Ceballos said there was no current plan to either reduce or grow the workforce in Mexico.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.