GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have actually gotten tickets on not having a front plate many times from the city of Palo Alto...their meter maids will ticket for it. There has always been the option to either "fix it" or just send them $70. I look at it as the cost of having a better looking car! Heck, if I'm paying $495 for different color paint, I can stomach a $70 ticket a few times a year...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have actually gotten tickets on not having a front plate many times from the city of Palo Alto...their meter maids will ticket for it. There has always been the option to either "fix it" or just send them $70. I look at it as the cost of having a better looking car! Heck, if I'm paying $495 for different color paint, I can stomach a $70 ticket a few times a year...
I'm with you. If it doesn't go on my "points" I'll fork over the $70 if/when I'm popped with it. I grew up in the Bay Area, and I know how militant the meter maids and other "public servants" can be. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most likely, the windshield has metal oxide in it.
I confirmed with GM that the Volt windshield does not contain metallic film. In fact, there is nothing unusual at all about the windshield that should interfere with the operation of a toll tag, or any other transponder. Having personally had a transponder that failed after a year or so, I would say that it is likely that chewy's transponder just died; order a new one and don't worry about the license plate mount.

It reflects the sun and results in less heat in the interior. The metal oxide coated windshield reduces infrared energy by up to 50 percent, outperforming tinted windshields by 400 percent. While the air conditioning is operating, the metal oxide windshield can improve fuel efficiency by as much as 3 to 4 percent. In fact, California will require all vehicles to have solar reflective glass by 2012, and even better performing glass by 2016:
Advanced solar control technologies like infrared reflective glazing and active ventilation, which is available on the Prius, do have the benefit of reducing interior temperatures after a solar soak. This temperature reduction means that in some times of the year the driver may not turn the AC on at all, and if they do it will run less hard to cool down the vehicle thus allowing for either downsized compressors or more efficient compressor cycling. Both of these actions can reduce fuel consumption and thus GHG emissions, which is why CA was considering regulating the maximum solar transmittance allowed for glass used on cars. However, this regulation was not finalized and will not be going into effect (see the ARB press release here: http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/2010/nr032510.htm). Instead, ARB is pursuing a whole vehicle performance standard that will evaluate all vehicle cooling technologies, thus encouraging the use of more efficient AC hardware and controls as well as heat-gain reducing technologies.

Hope this helps clear things up :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks, Leela, for clearing that up. Not having the Volt yet, it looks like many of us were speculating about the windshield issue.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have used my EZ-Pass (NY) and it worked fine in my Volt.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Maybe my transponder is getting weak. I did, however, get it to work by holding it up behind the mirror in the area without the black dots painted. I wondered if that might be a clearer zone, as there is some kind of transponder to the right of the mirror too.

·
4,866 Posts
As an update here, I was able to use my EZPass the other day on the NY Thruway without any problems. I placed the transponder within the "black dots" on the top center of the windshield by the rearview mirror, to the left of the humidity sensor. I was pleased to see it worked all 4 times I went through the tolls.

I plan to put the transponder in this shaded area to further obscure it from view, as I don't like the look of the transponders.

·
4,866 Posts
My EZ-Pass works from *inside* the dashboard accessory bin. How's that for hidden away? So cool !!!
That's really good to know, maybe I'll just do that instead of what I just suggested in my post above! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
In the bay area, nevermind. They take a picture of the license plate, no harm, no foul. I lost my transponder a year ago, and still use the bridges. Since your plates are registered, there is little downside.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got my license plates the other day, registered the TxTag, applied it to the windshield according to their instructions, and yesterday I verified that it is working.
So for those of you in Texas, no need to worry, TxTag works fine behind the windshield of a Volt!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used a FasTrack transponder last night without any problems in Orange County, CA. Just put it on the dash above the driver screen. Maybe those who are having trouble need to get another transponder?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts