GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed that on occasion my volt does not recognize my USB. I unplug and plug it back in and the podcast I was listening to now starts at the beginning. Fortunately, the car has a fast forward feature. Unfortunately, the fast forward moves at a rate of about 5 seconds for every second I hold fast forward down.

This take me a very long time to move to the 2 hour mark in my podcast or audio book I am listening to.

Is there a way to speed up fast forward? Why would anyone think a 5 to 1 fast forward rate is good? 120 to 1 is even better (two minutes per second).

Besides that, does anyone know why my USB can become undetected?

·
Registered
906 Posts
So I have noticed that on occasion my volt does not recognize my USB. I unplug and plug it back in and the podcast I was listening to now starts at the beginning. Fortunately, the car has a fast forward feature. Unfortunately, the fast forward moves at a rate of about 5 seconds for every second I hold fast forward down.

This take me a very long time to move to the 2 hour mark in my podcast or audio book I am listening to.

Is there a way to speed up fast forward? Why would anyone think a 5 to 1 fast forward rate is good? 120 to 1 is even better (two minutes per second).

Besides that, does anyone know why my USB can become undetected?
my car occasionally misses the USB too.. at leeast it used to.. now I wait for the "volt spash" to complete before turning the car on and it catches my USB device every time now...

the Volt splash is triggered by an occupant in the seat and the driver door being closed..

so I get in the car.. close the door.. fasten my belt.. and the splash is done.. I start up and go..
-Christopher

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try letting that boot up complete, I will post if it makes a difference for my car.

Any thoughts on speeding up fast forward?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Every once in a while my Volt won't detect my USB. Unplugging and plugging it back in resolves the problem.

As far as fast forwarding, you may want to split the mp3 into shorter tracks. This way there is less to fast forward. If named consecutively there shouldn't be a problem. I have used GoldWave for this. I'm usually going the other way and merging audio book CDs into one long track instead of having like 40 short tracks per disk. This way I can put an entire book in one directory and it can be manageable.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The workaround I use for the USB not being detected is shutting the radio off when I shut the car off. When I get in and start the car, I wait for the date to appear in the upper left of the radio screen. Turning the radio on after that results in a fully functional usb stick every time.

I relayed this to my Volt Adviser and he was going to relay it to the engineering team who is investigating the issue and developing a fix.

Seems pretty simple to fix. Either move the USB detection code further down the post chain or add a delay value.

·
Registered
906 Posts
if I remember right I read somewhere that MyLink runs on QNX.. QNX is a flavor of Unix.. and the USB stack is loaded either at kernel boot or as a kernel module (depending on how its been compiled).. since MyLink really never shuts totally off.. its left up to the HotPlug driver to recognize it... if its anything like hotplugging in Linux.. Interrupts will break it...

My guess there is an interrupt routine to catch when the vehicle is entered, powered up, powered off, etc..
the MyLink wakeup routine may not be smart enough to re-visit hotplug devices after it encounters an interrupt..

everythign described acts just like this.. in Linux its handled by having hot-plug devices re-scanned after any interrupt.. maybe the same doesnt exist for QNX...

thats why I find that gettign i nthe car and waiting for the splash to finish before pressing ON works every time.. by then the hotplug devices are recognized and mounted..

what happens to a non-recognized device?
the USB stack may still see it, however if an attempt to Mount the device is taken while hotplug is still scanning the device will be seen as a block device, but the partition table isnt loaded yet by the kernel.. so the mount fails.. a failed mount results in your user interface saying the device isnt there.. unplug and replug will force re-run of the hotplug and subsequent mount.. however it will reset the pointers in the user interface resulting in back to 'Song 1'...

-Christopher

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the advice. I know buckle in and check mirrors prior to starting the car. So far, no missing USB. I might try chopping up my longer podcasts, hopefully Chevy speeds up their 'slow forward'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts