GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that "Fan Only" mode and Eco and Max don't seem to do anything. It doesn't matter if I have one or the other or neither of the Eco or Max lights lit if it's cold and the temp is set to something like 70. Sitting at a stop so there's no propulsion, I can watch the kW go from .5 idle to 8 or 9 even with both of the buttons's lights off (fan-only mode). If I turn the heater off completely the kW goes to .5. Turn it back on, the power goes back up. If I turn the temp down to something cold like 64, the kW also goes back down to .5. Turn up the temp again, the power use goes back up.

Further, switching between Eco and Max doesn't seem change the kW at all: they're using essentially the same power.

The buttons are being read by the car correctly: the lights on Eco and Max act like toggles, switching back and forth or off appropriately. And when I push them the appropriate message shows up on the center screen: Fan Only, Eco, or Max mode. So the button hardware at least is fine.

It's easy to reproduce all of this on a cold day: you just have to be stopped and have the driver information display behind the steering wheel in one of the "enhanced" modes so that it shows the total energy use and then try the various modes and temp settings. With neither of the Eco or Max lights on (and the display shows the Fan Only message), I'm still using up to 9 kW! (That'd be one heckuva fan!)

This is appears likely to be another software bug -- is anyone else seeing it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Auto-defog is not enabled. And even if that's the defect (can't disable?) why would changing the temperature setting affect it anyway?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Do you mean a software bug on your readings ??
On MY2012 they make a huge difference in usage. I only see the percentage meter at the bottom of the climate screen and that changes dramatically. What matters most is, I lose serious miles if I stay on Max for my entire commute on cold winter days.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Agree with the OP...I have a 2012 and right now it is 57 outside so I'll switch to "Fan Only" mode and drive to work (my car is in a nice warm garage).

Well a number of times all of a sudden the % on the climate screen shoots up to 48% with the fan on 1 and the dam car is heating when I didn't tell it to. I can get it down to zero by shutting the fan off, but agree with the OP...no auto-defrost and no matter if I lower the temp inside, the climate does what it feels like doing not what you tell it to do.

Some drives it stays at 5% the whole drive with the fan on 1 or 2...but some days it does what it feels like doing. Pain in the a##!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nope. Auto-defog is not enabled. And even if that's the defect (can't disable?) why would changing the temperature setting affect it anyway?
So you disabled the auto-defog option buried in the settings menus?

If you turn off auto and put into fan only, and the only lighted up button is the foot vent and the HVAC power button, you should not see anything over 0.5kwh draw. If you do, recheck the settings menus and make sure the defog options are off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. That's a good description of the buttons, lights, and settings. And no, I do not have Auto Defog enabled (or yes, I do have it disabled :) ) -- I just checked to be sure.

It's using ~8 kW when I have explicitly set it not to use any for heating. That's why I think it's a bug.

I'm pretty surprised that it's also been seen in the Gen 1 too! I leased a 2012 and never noticed it then. I guess that might explain a few low-range days!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
In my 2012 I notice that it will turn on climate system if I have it set to defrost vent position (or any combination like defrost/foot) regardless of auto defog setting. Is something similar going on? Maybe force it to "Face/Foot" and see if that prevents it from turning on?

"Max" is another word for recirculate, so maybe that forces it on to prevent fog from accumulating on the windows?

I have similar complaints with gasoline cars, most of them force the AC in certain modes (anything coming out the defrost vent position) with no option to disable, and sometimes no indication it is doing so.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I've noticed that "Fan Only" mode and Eco and Max don't seem to do anything. It doesn't matter if I have one or the other or neither of the Eco or Max lights lit if it's cold and the temp is set to something like 70. Sitting at a stop so there's no propulsion, I can watch the kW go from .5 idle to 8 or 9 even with both of the buttons's lights off (fan-only mode). If I turn the heater off completely the kW goes to .5. Turn it back on, the power goes back up. If I turn the temp down to something cold like 64, the kW also goes back down to .5. Turn up the temp again, the power use goes back up.

Further, switching between Eco and Max doesn't seem change the kW at all: they're using essentially the same power.

The buttons are being read by the car correctly: the lights on Eco and Max act like toggles, switching back and forth or off appropriately. And when I push them the appropriate message shows up on the center screen: Fan Only, Eco, or Max mode. So the button hardware at least is fine.

It's easy to reproduce all of this on a cold day: you just have to be stopped and have the driver information display behind the steering wheel in one of the "enhanced" modes so that it shows the total energy use and then try the various modes and temp settings. With neither of the Eco or Max lights on (and the display shows the Fan Only message), I'm still using up to 9 kW! (That'd be one heckuva fan!)

This is appears likely to be another software bug -- is anyone else seeing it?
So what did the dealer say?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Max" is another word for recirculate, so maybe that forces it on to prevent fog from accumulating on the windows?
Somewhat strangely, "Max" doesn't mean recirc on the 2016; it's the same as "Comfort" on the 2012. It means full "on" -- not reduced power/Eco. There's a separate button for recirc.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
If it's cold outside, it doesn't matter what fan setting you have, even with the climate control off, the car might use the heater to warm the battery to optimum temperature. Similarly in the summer time, you might turn on fan only and feel AC and think, wow, free AC. Well it's not free. By using fan only you are taking away cooling that should go towards the battery.

It just does that, accept it, and don't worry about it. Don't worry, I was crazy about understanding all the nitty gritty aspects of the volt trying to eek out more range. But now 2 years later, I just drive and don't worry about it. It's a car, drives great, gets great mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts