GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There seem to be a significant number of two volt families out there (and in this site). The husband buys a Volt and his wife grabs it (or vice versa) and they get another. Or the first Volt is so good they simply buy another (this almost happened to me).

It may be that other cars experience this buying phenomenon, but I think this could make a fun commercial, like the owner testimonials, but with a twist: his and hers Volts. This car is that good.

I have read about a number of normally "not a car person" women who fall for the Volt's quiet, refined ride, stealthy power, and who also excel at the green ball game.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Agree, but the girls in my house like "no maintenance" and nearly no gas station stops. Nothing intimidates more than having to go in for repairs to a mechanic's shop. The Volt is the right car for many. I hope my soon college graduate daughter picks one up, or I'll pick up that 2011 in California for her. That is one heckuva price.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I bought the Leaf and my wife started driving it every chance she could instead of her Prius. She always said it was to "save money" but often left me without a car or having to drive the Prius if I needed to go somewhere. Eventually I told her we needed another EV but she wanted a vehicle that had long range if needed. I tried to get her to look at the Volt almost 2 years ago but she said she didn't like it. We saw one at a car show and she didn't seem impressed. A few months ago she said she wanted to go test-drive a Prius-V (a vehicle I do not care for at all, even though I like the regular hatchback and the Prius-C) so I made a deal that I'd test-drive one with her if we could also test-drive a Volt. After she drove the Volt she decided it was the car for her, especially when we realized it would actually be the cheaper car to lease and no gas. So that's what she's been driving for the last few months. We've received way more compliments on the car than our Leaf.

·
Administrator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree, but the girls in my house like "no maintenance" and nearly no gas station stops.
Another great point, jbfalaska! My wife agrees, too.

I can see the husband talking about what he like about HIS Volt, and his wife talking about what she likes about HER Volt. Heck if there are any two Volt gay families, I'm fine with that too. Though I'm not sure GM wants to be more of a political lightning rod, the "Mom and Dad, I'm Electric" ad notwithstanding.

·
Administrator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to get her to look at the Volt almost 2 years ago but she said she didn't like it.
So what changed her mind, adric22? What was it she didn't like before she decided she actually did like it? :) (A rational, reasonable person can change their mind when given new information.)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Started with 2007 BMW M3, 2002 Mercedes E55, 2000 Mercedes ML55, 2 drivers (my wife and myself).

I decided I wanted to replace my M3 with a Nissan Leaf. Intrigued by the all electric and the fact that the infrastructure for fast charging was developing in the area. Totally thrilled with it. Both of us loved not going to the gas station, and the "electric feel".

Replaced the E55 with a Volt. Perfect to stay mostly electric but have the gas option for longer trips out of the DFW area.

Daughter got drivers license. After lots of thought over just choosing cars each morning based on who was doing what, finally decided we all wanted to be electric and good lease deals on 2012 Volts led to...

Added a 2nd Volt.

So, we now have a Leaf which my daughter mostly drives to high school, but I use for longer trips in the area when DC fast charging can keep the trip all electric. A Volt that is mostly driving by my wife locally that is up to about 270MPG. And my Volt which I use for a short commute and out of town trips. They are "Plano Volt S" and "Plano Volt C" on voltstats.net. We kept the SUV for "hauling stuff".

July was our first month to buy no gas. Couple of longer trips won't make that possible for August or September, but I'm sure there will be more...

Once you get one EV, it is really hard to drive an ICE so switching around just didn't make anyone happy. Now we can be all EV, most of the time.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
My wife professes to not knowing how to put gas in a car anymore, let alone her Volt. It is the only car she has truly loved in 40 years of driving. She is still intimidated by dealer personnel but less contact with maintainence duties the better.

With solar it was just too compelling not to buy a second Volt.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I agree that there does seem to be an unusually high number of people claiming to own two Volts in the family. Seems like this would make a great Volt commercial. Why so many twin Volt households?...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We became a 2 Volt family this month . My daughter who lives at home was talking about trading in her 8 year old car next year . I crunched the numbers and the old car had cost us $190 per month to own plus $170 in gasoline .

Instead of waiting , we went to the dealer and leased a 2012 Veridian Joule for $258 , but I pay $60 per month because I also use it . In other words she now pays $198 a month to drive a $42,000 car. Today she drove 50 electric miles for her school and didn't spend a dime for gas .

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
So today’s GM postings show another ho-hum (because it’s only got two seats) EREV offering, this time from VW. Another vehicle that will be released YEARS from now, and who knows with what availability. I decided to get the second Volt after researching (several months ago), the EREV SUV that was coming from Mitsubishi. I would have preferred our second EV to have more utility, but who knows when you can actually buy one. I decided to keep my Tahoe Hybrid for the ‘other’ needs not met by a 4 passenger Volt and just get a second Volt.

We have two homes and I have need of a vehicle for deer hunting and it was the deer hunting that was both a hanging and a pushing point for the Volt. By keeping the Tahoe Hybrid around, I have something available if snow is in the forecast. One place I go is about 40 miles one way. This was a 4 gallon trip with the Tahoe Hybrid, but will be a 1 gallon trip with the Volt. The deer processing place I prefer is back where family lives in Buffalo. So, success in the field meant another pair of trips (one to drop off, one to pick up) that were 10 gallons round trip, but will now be 3 gallons. Even the short trips with the Tahoe Hybrid were annoying. A second place I go, later in the season, is just 3.5 miles from home. This is not far enough that the engine even gets to warm up. As such, my normally decent gas mileage is reduced by over 40%. While many complain of reduced range during cold weather, you can look at it as glass half full instead. If your trip is still within the electric range, you have saved LOTS of gas in cold weather, because your gas burner wastes lots of gas just getting everything warm.

Once you drive one EV, you want all of your miles to be electric. Experience with electric makes ICE seem SOOO primitive (even if it comes from the noise of the Volt’s own ICE when it has to come on). Two driver households will naturally desire a second EV of some sort. It is the practicality part that is the barrier to getting the second Volt. Therefore, I took the steps necessary to make that second Volt practical- by getting a dolly for the Tahoe Hybrid to tow it around- and by getting a stealth hitch and cargo carrier for one of the Volts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi everyone!

Yesterday i just pickup my second volt. It cost me 30$ more then my SUV but my wife will not paid anymore gaz so i save 200$/month:) People think it's an expensive car but then need to calculate everything they save!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I guess I'll have to post a picture of the garage filled up later, but for now here is our triple charging station for our Leaf and 2 Volts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm definitely a Volt-stealer. My husband just got a 2013 Black Volt as an early 30th birthday present but I'm always taking it on the weekends. I'm definitely considering my own Volt but can't give up my IS250 just yet....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a Volt on Sept 1st. My wife liked it so much, we bought one for her a week later. I installed a Clipper Creek Charger and another one just arrived so I'll be putting that one in. I used to fill up my Yukon twice a week at $100+ a fill up. I now fill up once a month for $40. That more than pays for the car. I actually have about $300 a month extra in my pocket because of the savings. My MPG is 260 and rising. There were 33 miles on the car when I got it and the dealer had not charged it so those were 100% gas miles. Grrrr....

My wife is getting a charging station installed at her work. Once that happens, she is likely to never buy gas except for her gas goes stale. That is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Started with 2007 BMW M3, 2002 Mercedes E55, 2000 Mercedes ML55, 2 drivers (my wife and myself).

I decided I wanted to replace my M3 with a Nissan Leaf. Intrigued by the all electric and the fact that the infrastructure for fast charging was developing in the area. Totally thrilled with it. Both of us loved not going to the gas station, and the "electric feel".

Replaced the E55 with a Volt. Perfect to stay mostly electric but have the gas option for longer trips out of the DFW area.

Daughter got drivers license. After lots of thought over just choosing cars each morning based on who was doing what, finally decided we all wanted to be electric and good lease deals on 2012 Volts led to...

Added a 2nd Volt.

So, we now have a Leaf which my daughter mostly drives to high school, but I use for longer trips in the area when DC fast charging can keep the trip all electric. A Volt that is mostly driving by my wife locally that is up to about 270MPG. And my Volt which I use for a short commute and out of town trips. They are "Plano Volt S" and "Plano Volt C" on voltstats.net. We kept the SUV for "hauling stuff".

July was our first month to buy no gas. Couple of longer trips won't make that possible for August or September, but I'm sure there will be more...

Once you get one EV, it is really hard to drive an ICE so switching around just didn't make anyone happy. Now we can be all EV, most of the time.
I hear what you are saying Steve. I sold my '02 M5 to get a Volt. I am now having some trouble thinking my next car won't also be an EV (the smoothness is compelling)...Electric M3 anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? I swear, I would honestly even consider an Active-E (1 series EV) as a result of owning the Volt. Sweet garage charge setup by the way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife and I would like to become a two volt family. Probably won't happen until 2014. I have heard some rumors that Cadillac will be coming out with a cady that has will be based on the Volt drive train. If that happens then I may go with the Cadillac instead of the Volt especially if it is 5 passenger instead of 4.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My wife and I would like to become a two volt family. Probably won't happen until 2014. I have heard some rumors that Cadillac will be coming out with a cady that has will be based on the Volt drive train. If that happens then I may go with the Cadillac instead of the Volt especially if it is 5 passenger instead of 4.
ELR is the machine and it is a coupe so your looking at 2+2 seating wise.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Unlikely to seat more folks than a Volt, considering it will already have two less doors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just became a two Volt family for exactly the reason that the original poster mentioned. We bought Volt number one for me, but my wife liked it and started driving it (kinda took it over...). Now we have bought another for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts