GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week a came across two fast chargers at a Sheraton Hotel near my wife’s job. I was shocked (pun intended) to find the price was $9/hour. My wife, who will be buying a Bolt EV, said she would only use it in an emergency.
Is $9/hour a fair price for fast charging?

·
2,356 Posts
For the Bolt, one hour is supposed to give you 80% charge. So roughly, assuming starting from 0% and that the usable energy of the Bolt's pack is 55 kWh, that's going to give about 45 kWh of energy.

So that's about 20 cents per kWh delivered.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I would use it if I needed it, but be sure to get off before the second hour charge begins. The really nice thing about that charger is you won't have to worry about other drivers hogging it. The parking space, maybe, but not the connector.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For the Bolt, one hour is supposed to give you 80% charge. So roughly, assuming starting from 0% and that the usable energy of the Bolt's pack is 55 kWh, that's going to give about 45 kWh of energy.

So that's about 20 cents per kWh delivered.
Yes, but that's a reasonable price only if she reaches the charger needing a full charge. If she arrives with a half-full battery, it'll cost 40 cents per kWh. Unless it's a 75-mile commute each way, save your money and charge at home!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Just for comparison, eVgo has a subscription plan out here which is $14.95/mon + $0.10/min for quick charge. So I used to do QC on my LEAF for about 30 min each event. Simple arithmetic shows if did 3 QCs/mon for 20 min each, I would be paying about $8/quick charge. Now I drive the volt for longer trips I don't need QC so I dropped the plan. Another plan is to pay $4.95/connect + $0.2/min, without subscription. To get the most energy in my LEAF in 30 min, it was best to be at very low SOC when I start. However, that is a bit of a crap shoot, because if I arrive at a quick charger and its not working, then I have another problem. I have come to the conclusion that QC is for convenience, and you pay for it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before long they'll want to increase the $9 / hr charge because "not enough people are using it to recover the cost of installation".

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I think I found the charging stations in question on Chargepoint's website. (There's no way to link to an individual location, but if I've identified the right location, you can find it by searching "DC - Combo" chargers near Edison, NJ. https://na.chargepoint.com/charge_point )

1. It appears that the charging station in question is only rated to 24kW, not 50kW. So the $/kWh is probably $0.375, not $0.18.

2. The price is prorated by the minute: $0.15/minute. So no need to worry about exceeding 1 hour by a few minutes.

So, at only a meager 24kW, you're probably paying ~3x the price of the electricity. But realize that DCFC stations should be expensive -- at least relative to the cost of the electricity it's providing. If it's not, people will use (abuse) it when it's not needed and prevent/delay others who might have no other choice from using it. Also, it has to have a profit margin to incentivize other installations.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We pay $10/hour for our DCFC network in Québec, Canada. Imho, it is a fair price when you consider the cost for such infrastructure.

50kW, dual standard DCFC map coverage actual (green), incoming (orange), projected (blue) https://goo.gl/w2Xo1s

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I think that $9 per hour is perfectly reasonable. I wouldn't go so far as your wife to say, "only in an emergency," but rather, "only when necessary." As someone else pointed out, if it's only a 24 kW charger, I'd have reservations, but if it is a 50-100 kW charger, I'd have no problem at all with paying that much.

According to GM, one hour DCFC will add 160 miles of range. Now that is assuming a 50 kW charger, but that is the equivalent of paying 6 cents a mile, which is cheaper than any ICE vehicle traveling the same distance.

My expectation is that, when I get my Bolt and drive longer trips, I will be paying between $10 and $15 per hour for 50+ kW charging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts