GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one for 24,900 With 13 months left on the bumper to bumper with 28,500 miles on it — one owner lease return — does that sound like a fair price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not bad - I paid $25K 6 months ago with 22K on the car. Mine has the optional $1K Tricoat Pearl paint on it too

Don

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not a bad price. I always look at how long its been listed for, check the surrounding 50 miles, and then pick the one that's been on the lot the longest (all other things equal), and negotiate the hell out of it. Autolist.com tells you how long the car's been on the market and the sticker price history, and it's awesome to be able to walk into a place and say "I know you want to move this car, I know it's sat on your lot for 6 months, and I know you've dropped the sticker $4K already. I'll pay you X today, take it or leave it."

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a bad price. I always look at how long its been listed for, check the surrounding 50 miles, and then pick the one that's been on the lot the longest (all other things equal), and negotiate the hell out of it. Autolist.com tells you how long the car's been on the market and the sticker price history, and it's awesome to be able to walk into a place and say "I know you want to move this car, I know it's sat on your lot for 6 months, and I know you've dropped the sticker $4K already. I'll pay you X today, take it or leave it."
Great advice thanks

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
That's basically what I did. Car was listed at $$20,900 Cdn which is the standard price for this year, options, mileage in lower mainland. I had test drove the car three months before so I knew it was there at least that long. Went there to supposed look at a SLK300. I mentioned I had test drove the Volt before and salesman said they were "motivated" to sell. I offered $16,000, stuck to it through the counter offers and got it for that. Be prepared to walk away. It happened a few weeks before at another dealer (no Bose)and they would only go down to $18,000 Cdn. from the $20,900 so I walked. The car was recently traded in so they weren't "motivated" to sell at that point.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's basically what I did. Car was listed at $$20,900 Cdn which is the standard price for this year, options, mileage in lower mainland. I had test drove the car three months before so I knew it was there at least that long. Went there to supposed look at a SLK300. I mentioned I had test drove the Volt before and salesman said they were "motivated" to sell. I offered $16,000, stuck to it through the counter offers and got it for that. Be prepared to walk away. It happened a few weeks before at another dealer (no Bose)and they would only go down to $18,000 Cdn. from the $20,900 so I walked. The car was recently traded in so they weren't "motivated" to sell at that point.
Yes, how long it sits on the lot is a big deal. Thanks .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before commenting on the price, Do you qualify for the $7500 fed tax rebate?

If so, a new leftover 2018 at $32.4K would end up the same price.

For comparison last July I bought a left over 2017 Premier with ACC for $33K, before fed & state rebates.

There seem to be a lot of 2018's in the MD area around this price point.

Good luck. I know how stressful car buying can be.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Be prepared to walk away.
That's the secret to getting a good deal on any new or used car - Once the salesman gets the feeling that you've fallen in love with it, you're dead meat!

Don

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The dealer I bought my 2017 from just offered me $23,250 as a trade on a 2019 Bolt they are discounting $5K. Was tempted but had to pass. My 2017 has 22,600 miles on it. My Volt is paid for and don't want to take on any debt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The other side of the coin, at least in the Seattle area, 2017s are rare and the ones at decent prices don't last. A 2017 LT went on sale on a Sunday for 23,900 and I drove down ready to buy it on a Monday morning. I was third in line. 1st was a guy flying in from somewhere, 2nd was a guy driving down from Vancouver BC. The Federal Tax credit drives down the prices for used Volts. As AJDare mentioned 2018s are being sold at a pretty good discount now, so if you qualify, that's a great way to go. I would not qualify for the whole credit, so I would have jumped at the deal you describe. You might be able to use the Tax Credit as negotiating tool, even if you can't use the tax credit yourself. (The seller doesn't need to know that). That's what I was going to do if the LT hadn't already been sold. So I ended up buying a new 2018 instead.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow just saw a new 2018 LT with comfort package (heated seats and steering wheel) for 27,826. With the 7500 rebate that’s down to a little over 20,000. That seems like a much better deal, even if missing some features.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now is a great time to be a Volt buyer. Not so much a Volt seller.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s black. Looks sharp with no two-tone but hard to keep clean and hot as blazes in summer, but another gray LT is $300 cheaper, but with no comfort package. The black one has been on the lot 225 days, so hopefully can try to negotiate it a bit lower.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Wow just saw a new 2018 LT with comfort package (heated seats and steering wheel) for 27,826. With the 7500 rebate that’s down to a little over 20,000. That seems like a much better deal, even if missing some features.

That's a great deal! Just make sure that price doesn't include the $7500 tax credit in the advertised price. Some dealers will do that.

They may say the price includes all buyer qualified rebates, or something like that. Then you find out that by rebate, they mean the tax credit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a great deal! Just make sure that price doesn't include the $7500 tax credit in the advertised price. Some dealers will do that. They may something like the price includes all buyer qualified rebates, or something like that

The quote I got was with a $6700 discount off list. Did not include the tax credit. I already have 2 Volts so this would be our third; if we get it I would give one to my daughter to use to commute to school, but at that price I probably can justify it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The quote I got was with a $6700 discount off list. Did not include the tax credit. I already have 2 Volts so this would be our third; if we get it I would give one to my daughter to use to commute to school, but at that price I probably can justify it.

Excellent! The price seemed almost too good to be true!

We have a Premier, but quite honestly I would be quite happy with an LT at that price. The Comfort Package is all I really need here in Minnesota. The rest I could easily live without.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent! The price seemed almost too good to be true!

We have a Premier, but quite honestly I would be quite happy with an LT at that price. The Comfort Package is all I really need here in Minnesota. The rest I could easily live without.

Even here in Northern Virginia we need the comfort package. I like the driving aids, but don’t absolutely need them.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The final out the door price that I was quoted on the 2018 LT with heated seats and steering wheel including VA taxes tags etc. was $30,900.

List 34550
Discount 6720
Net car 27826

All the other fees and tax charges seem normal except there’s a destination charge of 895 which I know I have to pay but there is another dealer document processing fee of $895

That last charge seems about $400-500 too high.

I will try to go shave that down but I’m not sure I’m willing to walk away over that.

Obviously I’m also counting on the $7500 tax credit rebate.

Opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Even here in Northern Virginia we need the comfort package. I like the driving aids, but don’t absolutely need them.

That's my take on the driving aids too. I learned how to drive safely for many years without them and didn't develop amnesia now that we have them in the Volt.

The car I drive when my wife is using the Volt, has no driving aids, and I just have to drive accordingly. No big deal.

Your price sounds pretty good, even if you can't get that processing fee knocked down much. Even paying that fee in full, it's a larger discount then we got on our 2018 Premier by about $1000. We bought it exactly one year ago when the 2018's were the latest model.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts