GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...
The drive mode switch on my 2011 volt failed. (I used it every time to go to SPORT mode). I took the car in and now Im told that the switch is part of the center console assemble and the only way to fix it is to replace the center console. This include the stereo, center display, etc!
Seems a shame to have to tear that much into it and replace so much working electronics just for a $5 switch.....sigh

I sure hope it comes out seamless when its done!

Stilgar

·
Registered
918 Posts
So...
The drive mode switch on my 2011 volt failed. (I used it every time to go to SPORT mode). I took the car in and now Im told that the switch is part of the center console assemble and the only way to fix it is to replace the center console. This include the stereo, center display, etc!
Seems a shame to have to tear that much into it and replace so much working electronics just for a $5 switch.....sigh
Stilgar
Stilgar - is the repair covered by warranty? I've taken the center console stack out multiple times for various reasons, latest to see if the drive mode switch could be flipped. As you've said, it's just a switch and replacing the entire stack sounds ridiculous. I understand many of the standard components are not stocked, but this is crazy. Good luck!

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Doesn't seem right to me, but in looking at the wiring schematic, the Sport Mode button does connect to the radio. In the Volt, I have come to think of "the radio" as being more like a smartphone that all the other apps use to do their thing. I suspect that's why "the radio" in the Volt can't be turned off. It's like turning off you phone and trying to use the phone's camera. In a similar way, nothing works without the radio being on.

However, it seems like replacing the switch (or console) is all that is needed if the switch is bad. If the radio is bad, then I don't know why the switch (part number S109?) or console need replacing. Sounds like the tech isn't sure so is replacing everything. Perhaps the main battery needs replacing as well under this repair methodology?

Sport Mode Wiring Diagram.jpg

By the way, did you ask for the error code? Maybe DTC P1762? Transmission Mode Switch Signal Message Counter Incorrect

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replys. Answers to some of the questions below...

I do not know about any error code. Nothing was shown on the dash. I will ask when I pick it up.

The repair IS covered under warranty. I wont pay a thing.

It was the 'service adviser' that said "the whole center stack, radio, screen...". Not the actual volt technician. After seeing the very nice link with the break-down pictures, I suspect it will just be the 'center stack'.

Again many thanks for all the quick replys. You guys are great!

Stilgar

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Doesn't seem right to me, but in looking at the wiring schematic, the Sport Mode button does connect to the radio. In the Volt, I have come to think of "the radio" as being more like a smartphone that all the other apps use to do their thing. I suspect that's why "the radio" in the Volt can't be turned off. It's like turning off you phone and trying to use the phone's camera. In a similar way, nothing works without the radio being on.
That is my biggest complaint about the Volt. Pretty insignificant to say the biggest complaint about a car is the infotainment system, but still. The ELR will be a big step forward to me if only this is changed. It's really getting annoying to constantly have to hit the mute button to turn the noise off every time I do something that disengages the mute.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That is my biggest complaint about the Volt. Pretty insignificant to say the biggest complaint about a car is the infotainment system, but still. The ELR will be a big step forward to me if only this is changed. It's really getting annoying to constantly have to hit the mute button to turn the noise off every time I do something that disengages the mute.
I think that the radio being able to be turned off has already been addressed. I can definitely turn my non-Bose / no Nav radio off and then hit the Leaf button without it turning back on. Maybe there is something wrong with my Volt?

·
Registered
437 Posts
So...

Stilgar
This is bad news. I've just started having the same problem on my 2011 Volt and I too push the drive-mode button twice every time I use the car. Now sometimes the button does nothing and I'm stuck in 'Normal' mode and have no ability to use 'Mountain' or 'Sport' modes. Other times it works OK. As DonC says, if only there was a way of setting the 'Sport' mode as the default mode.

Did yours fail totally all at once or was it intermittent for a while?

Time for a visit to the dealer - at least it is covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The center stack switch panel is serviced separately. The radio and display are not included

WOT

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is bad news. I've just started having the same problem on my 2011 Volt and I too push the drive-mode button twice every time I use the car. Now sometimes the button does nothing and I'm stuck in 'Normal' mode and have no ability to use 'Mountain' or 'Sport' modes. Other times it works OK. As DonC says, if only there was a way of setting the 'Sport' mode as the default mode.

Mine was intermittent for awhile and then failed completely.

Stilgar

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine was intermittent for awhile and then failed completely.

Stilgar
I figured mine was heading the same way so I took it to the dealer (Rydell) this morning. They said they want to keep the car for a few days and have someone from GM look at it. Seems I'm stuck with an Impala for a while - a boat in comparison to the Volt! And how quickly we forget the coarseness of an ICE!

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
They said they want to keep the car for a few days and have someone from GM look at it.
Gosh, how many days will they need to replace a headlight? :)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So...

Stilgar

Gee...maybe you guys should ask for the "2013 version" of the button that includes the HOLD function...:rolleyes::)

3,608 Posts

Afternoon Gjm3,

I apologize that your mode button is having this concern. Please PM me the last 8 of your VIN and best way for you to be reached. I will have your Dedicated Advisor contact you.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok...Monday update...
I picked up the volt today. All is fixed and I cant see any difference on the new center console panel. Drive mode switch works again and i am happy....:)

Glad it ended up being this simple...

Stilgar

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
ok...Monday update...
I picked up the volt today. All is fixed and I cant see any difference on the new center console panel. Drive mode switch works again and i am happy....:)
So what did they end up replacing /repairing?

·
Registered
437 Posts
ok...Monday update...

Glad it ended up being this simple...

Stilgar
I just picked up my car too with the repaired switch. They replaced the 'Radio Face Control Assembly', which I assume is the plastic shell containing the capacitive switches. They had to wait a day to get the part from GM. I can't see any differences either. All's well that ends well!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts