GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve got a Premiere, factory Nav, and I’m becoming more impressed with it as time goes on.
I’d like this thread to be for both factory Nav owners as well as Infotainment features that are not-so-obvious, that owners would like to share.
Please no bashing factory Nav, I know there's lots of great alternatives, especially with CarPlay and AndroidAuto.
Also some of these features apply to Chevy Infotainment in general ! So let’s get started....

Did you know your ‘radio presets’ can also be programmed to be one-touch Nav destinations and even one-touch-dial phone numbers.....in fact any Infotainment feature that has the ^ button on the screen will allow you to program that feature as a "memory preset"

https://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=155437&d=1536284775

And if you have the Nav icon in the application tray, that shows up at the top of any screen when touched, that little Nav icon actually shows your current compass direction at all times on any screen. Pretty neat.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=155439&d=1536285088

Real-time traffic also shows up on the Map display ( if you have SiriusXM ) whether you are routing to a destination or not. Its amazingly accurate and up to date. While I'm still in the driveway, I pan over to the interstate and see what traffic is doing at the the notoriously slow spots, so I'm not surprised and can get a jump on possible alternatives.

Attachments

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What's today's date......? If you touch the time display in the upper corner of the screen, a large clock pops up along with the day and date.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
You can dive in a school zone with it too.

Having build in nav system some what keeps my other drives off their smartphones.

Now the build in nav system had been directing me for 3 days to go back to Applebees because the first time there I did not park close to the front door.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ve got a Premiere, factory Nav, and I’m becoming more impressed with it as time goes on.
I’d like this thread to be for both factory Nav owners as well as Infotainment features that are not-so-obvious, that owners would like to share.
Please no bashing factory Nav, I know there's lots of great alternatives, especially with CarPlay and AndroidAuto.
Also some of these features apply to Chevy Infotainment in general ! So let’s get started....

Did you know your ‘radio presets’ can also be programmed to be one-touch Nav destinations and even one-touch-dial phone numbers.....in fact any Infotainment feature that has the ^ button on the screen will allow you to program that feature as a "memory preset"

https://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=155437&d=1536284775

And if you have the Nav icon in the application tray, that shows up at the top of any screen when touched, that little Nav icon actually shows your current compass direction at all times on any screen. Pretty neat.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=155439&d=1536285088

Real-time traffic also shows up on the Map display ( if you have SiriusXM ) whether you are routing to a destination or not. Its amazingly accurate and up to date. While I'm still in the driveway, I pan over to the interstate and see what traffic is doing at the the notoriously slow spots, so I'm not surprised and can get a jump on possible alternatives.
Yes, it has some nice features. I programmed the first button to be Nav to Home.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I use my OEM Nav all the time and find it works very well. Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Thanks for the good info, I need to try the presets. But I must disagree about the traffic feature. I've found it to be fair at best, and only available for interstates. Thus I let my traffic subscription expire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the tips about the presets. I never knew that.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I don't have the built in Navigation but I'll have to see if the presets will allow me to add phone numbers. Great tip.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use my OEM Nav all the time and find it works very well. Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.
I must be missing something here.
The OEM Nav in my 17 Volt is, well not good.
I have tested it on numerous occasions and now use it to laugh at it.
For instance, the other night I am driving home. My route should be direct, almost a straight line. My Nav wants me to turn and go half a mile to a main street, drive down about a mile or so, then turn back to the street I am currently on. HUH????
So I tried it again another night. I am driving home, the course again was very simple with few turns. Again Nav decides it is easier to go about 5 miles out of my way just to jog down and come back to where I was already headed. HAHhahahaaaa... This is better than paying to see a comedian.
Took it for a longer drive, selected home. Well, it was ok on the highway but soon as I hit the city, it was up to its old tricks again. If a Nav could be high on something, this one is way up there. It isn't thinking straight and wants to zig zag... BRAHAHahaHHahahHAhaaaaa.
-- Now, before all the helpful hints appear, these are old established roads. None of them are new and all of them are on the map. There have been no changes or interest points selected, actually the Nav is stock, there have been no changes made. It has only been used to see if it worked, and yes, it sort of does.

I only use OEM for the laughs now and use the map on my Iphone.

Just saying.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Check the navigation settings. The Nav system could be set to avoid highways, tolls and U-turns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts