GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the charger that came with my Volt mounted in my garage. A few weeks ago I found an identical one one Ebay and purchased it so that I would have an extra charger to carry with me in the car. Well, it didn't work when I plugged it in and I told the seller that I wanted to return it for a refund. He told me to keep the charger and he issued me a refund anyway, so that he wouldn't have to pay the return shipping charges. Now I have this charger that I'd like have repaired but I'm not sure where to take it. I've thought about asking my Chevy dealer to exchange it but because it has a serial number on it, I don't know if I'd have a problem doing that.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
My dealer has an open part order for me for 8 weeks and I though about using E-bay. They think there migh be a shortage or a revision.
Several people here have expresses an interest in opening one up. It might no longer be water tight if we do open it.

There is a short part of the Volt take a part that showes the charger but not how to open the unit.

Just the plug and cord are woth $100+

I am sure someone here would like to take look but hard to say if it is fixable.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Now I have this charger that I'd like have repaired but I'm not sure where to take it. I've thought about asking my Chevy dealer to exchange it but because it has a serial number on it, I don't know if I'd have a problem doing that.
As long as you do it right, it can't hurt to ask. That is, don't give it them until they commit to replacing or returning it to you. What you don't want is for them to take it in then decide it's contraband and keep it!

its possible that the charger has an internal fuse that just needs to be replaced.
Possible, but I don't think so. I've blown 4 of the early 120V EVSEs. They appeared to be very sensitive to noise on the neutral/ground, and when they failed they failed HARD. Voltster, do they do anything when you plug them in? The failures I saw all had them initially light up for a few seconds, then (after self test?) there'd be a click and everything would shut down. Does that sound like your unit? Or does it just not light up at all (which would imply a fuse, as Paul* says)?

Several people here have expresses an interest in opening one up. It might no longer be water tight if we do open it.
Me amongst them. I'd love to open one up and see what makes it tick (or not, in this case). My understanding is the seams are ultrasonically welded closed, so there's no way to open one up without rendering it no longer water tolerant. And it certainly voids the warranty!

Voltster, if you want it off your hands I would me more than happy to drive up there and pick it up from you!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys.

When I plug it in, all 5 of the lights turn green and then about two seconds later the two larger lights near the top of the front face plate turn red. I've tried plugging it into the car but the car doesn't seem to 'see' the charger because the green light on the dash stays off and there is no audible chirp like there is with the charger that's mounted in my garage.

I've also unwound the cord completely and looked for a way to open the unit but as Rusty said, it seems to be sealed in such a way that it would be impossible to open without destroying the unit.

I should also mention that the cord has been pulled so hard that the wires are showing at the center spindle. If I could open it, I could probably re-solder them if need be.

If I brought the unit to my local dealer, I wonder if he would just swap it out with no questions asked or he'd want to unwind the cord for a better look. I also wonder if the serial number would present a problem. I can prove that I bought it on Ebay but I don't know if that would matter.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I should also mention that the cord has been pulled so hard that the wires are showing at the center spindle.
That's a VERY common failure in the earlier units (most of the MY '11s). The strain relief didn't relive much strain. That shouldn't affect warranty in the least. In fact, it should demonstrate the need for warranty replacement...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ah, I wonder if someone stole it from the returned parts bin at a dealer and put it on eBay. Once there's more demand and quantity out there, don't be surprised if you see more of them for sale on eBay. I'm not sure how someone would get one for a cheap sale, other than ripping it off. And the insurance companies will make the dealer buy the replacements from eBay (like they've done with in-dash navigation radios), and this will just compound the problems. Got to love those insurance companies!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've certainly wondered myself how the seller acquired this charger. Your scenario makes as much, if not more sense than anything I've been able to come up with.

The only strange part about it is that he had listed it as a working unit and if it had been returned to a dealer, he'd know that it wasn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts