GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a gen 1 Volt owner and have had an interest in the Cadillac ELR because of the shared drivetrain. I live in Salt Lake and never expected to ever see an ELR since there were probably very few sold here. But yesterday I saw a black ELR travelling southbound on I-15. Although I felt sort of like a stalker, I decided to take advantage of what might be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I followed him until he exited the freeway (since I happened to be headed toward Utah county anyway). ELR's could be the coolest cars on the road.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Literally a show car! Best car I have ever owned or driven. ;)

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Stop it, you're making me want one again despite my moving on to yearning for a ct6 PHEV or tesla. I wanted an ELR since I saw the concept car, then when the price was announced at $75k MSRP, I bough a volt a week later, heavily discounted. I should have noticed the signs that since I got the volt for less than half MSRP, the ELR would have also followed suit just one year later. I'm still kicking myself for not being patient.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
when 16s start selling for below 50k new I will look. I do like the car I am just disappointed that 16 was gen 1.1 and not 2.0

it is pretty, but 38 only gets me to work and part way home. I would give up my z4 for a good price on an ELR still as its the best look phev out there (and a coupe)

there are a pair of 16s that are used in the low thirties out there, so I wonder what the auction pricing is like

·
Registered
40 Posts
when 16s start selling for below 50k new I will look. I do like the car I am just disappointed that 16 was gen 1.1 and not 2.0

it is pretty, but 38 only gets me to work and part way home. I would give up my z4 for a good price on an ELR still as its the best look phev out there (and a coupe)

there are a pair of 16s that are used in the low thirties out there, so I wonder what the auction pricing is like
Over the last couple months my ELR has gotten me 46-50 miles per charge. I am able to use ~12.5kwh instead of the 10.5kwh on my volt.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Over the last couple months my ELR has gotten me 46-50 miles per charge. I am able to use ~12.5kwh instead of the 10.5kwh on my volt.
I have never gotten more than 44miles, however, I don't even try since my commute is right at 40. Most of it is 65mph or higher. I don't really care that the engine comes on since with Bose noise cancellation ya can't even hear the thing. Just a vibration in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have never gotten more than 44miles, however, I don't even try since my commute is right at 40. Most of it is 65mph or higher. I don't really care that the engine comes on since with Bose noise cancellation ya can't even hear the thing. Just a vibration in the steering wheel.
Ah. I forgot to mention that my area has a lot of construction work/traffic going on so that's probably why I'm able to achieve the long distances. I agree with the engine sentiment. Before I bought the ELR many reviewers complained about the engine noise and how it 'broke' the peace and quiet that electric cars have, but for the most part I am unable to hear the engine going unless I am trying to get the car up to freeway speeds.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have gotten 50 EV miles in my ELR here in South Florida. When driving it like a normal car the range shows anywhere from 45-47 daily.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If I'm driving 'normal' or conservatively I'm getting closer to that 50.

The guessometer has been at 45 for a while now, mostly cuz I haven't been driving too conservative lately and I'm okay with that. Also rarely hear/notice the engine, unless the radio is off and pretty muted then as well.

I spotted a black ELR parked on St. Anthony Main, in Mpls a few weeks ago (maybe months...I'm going senile) first one other than my own I've spotted. That you, Luon, by chance?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stop it, you're making me want one again despite my moving on to yearning for a ct6 PHEV or tesla. I wanted an ELR since I saw the concept car, then when the price was announced at $75k MSRP, I bough a volt a week later, heavily discounted. I should have noticed the signs that since I got the volt for less than half MSRP, the ELR would have also followed suit just one year later. I'm still kicking myself for not being patient.
If it's any consolation, I do occasionally wonder if I should have picked up a used Volt and just held out for a Tesla or other up coming EV or EREV. But no sense in dwelling too much on it as there is always something better just around the corner. Enjoy what you got and enjoy the next thing down the line. coulda shoulda woulda...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I spotted a black ELR parked on St. Anthony Main, in Mpls a few weeks ago (maybe months...I'm going senile) first one other than my own I've spotted. That you, Luon, by chance?
Unfortunately it is not me :( Actually spotting a black ELR in my area was what made me take the leap from the Volt.

Mine is a red ELR and I'm typically in the Maple Grove to Eden Prairie Area.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Be careful.

Those cars have rebuilt Kentucky titles.

Who knows the back stories on these cars, but it cannot be good. Kentucky is one of the few states that will take a car from another state where a title of any sorts would not be issued and issue one of these rebuilt titles.

Caveat Emptor.

PS We had a 2012 Volt and now the 2014 ELR (love it), its leased and we are seriously considering the purchase of a 2016 ELR, just not those Kentucky cars.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Unfortunately it is not me :( Actually spotting a black ELR in my area was what made me take the leap from the Volt.

Mine is a red ELR and I'm typically in the Maple Grove to Eden Prairie Area.
No worries! I'm usually in Fridley to Mpls/StPaul area. On the off chance you are interested... there is a local group for MN EV owner's that meets occasionally formally and informally. Members also have volunteer opportunities with organizations that are promoting EV cars for one reason or another (State Fair coming up soon!)...

·
Registered
40 Posts
No worries! I'm usually in Fridley to Mpls/StPaul area. On the off chance you are interested... there is a local group for MN EV owner's that meets occasionally formally and informally. Members also have volunteer opportunities with organizations that are promoting EV cars for one reason or another (State Fair coming up soon!)...
Thanks for the link! I'll most definitely check it out :) I'll stop by the EV section for sure at the State Fair again this year.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have had mine a year and a half. No problems and still get excited every time I take it out. Never saw another one in the wild. Still wondering what I will do when the lease is up.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
And it's less vibration in the steering wheel than in the Volt. At least the Gen 1 Volt, but some of the stories I've been reading on this forum make it sound like the Gen 2 might have slid backwards, not moved forward when it comes to some of the NVH characteristics.

My ELR can get high 30's for EV range, which is great considering its Performance Package lowers efficiency by about 10%. (It's a trade-off I'd make over and over, now that I've driven it!) Also, the ELR does such a better job of cutting engine noise that I really don't at all mind using it, especially on the highway. When you do hear it, it kind of sounds like it's coming from a car next to you. With nearly 3,000 miles now I've averaged 31mpg while on gas, which is right where the EPA puts it for the Performance Package cars (regular ELRs should get 35).

So if you want a great car with stellar efficiency I'd say buy a new Volt. But if you want a stunning show car that's basically in a whole different league of performance and luxury, and don't mind trading off a few of those utlimate green creds, definitely buy or lease a new ELR.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm also in Utah and spotted my first ELR a few days ago on 1100 East just off the Van Winkle Expressway in Cottonwood. Very good looking car in person. The photos don't do it justice imho.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm also in Utah and spotted my first ELR a few days ago on 1100 East just off the Van Winkle Expressway in Cottonwood. Very good looking car in person. The photos don't do it justice imho.
I completely agree with this. The only bad angle, in my opinion, is if you were to just look at the trunk head on. The shoulders of the car are pretty high up and it makes the car look really bulky, but if you were to take one step to either side it goes back to looking like a very sleek car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts