GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that if the Volt came with an extra battery and a plug-in, say in the glove compartment, it would be easier to make longer trips while preserving non-gas use. You should also be able to buy extra batteries, for road trips and such.

·
Registered
38 Posts
$$$

Would you be willing to spend 10 grand on that battery?

I don't know if the form factor would work out well. plus the extra weight...

It might be nice if in the trunk there was some interface to the electrical system that allowed expansion of the battery pack for extra range or if technology improves.

Probably the same folks that added batteries to the Prius could figure out how to do the volt.

Yay for aftermarket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
AER-Booster Battery

I agree.. one great way to stimulate innovation, and have the Volt gain even more fans would be for GM to engineer an "AER-booster Battery" which fits in the trunk and plugs into factory connectors in the wiring harness. There will be many folks who have the money who want to make a statement of driving gas free who will pay $2k-4k+ more to get another 20miles AER.
Enthusiasts spend substantial sums of money customizing, restoring, or enhancing the performance of their vehicles (check out the SEMA show). There would be a market for an OEM AER-Booster battery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Standard interface

I'd be happy if GM just standardized an interface. If there was a plug in the trunk with known voltage and charging, discharging characteristics you could plug all sorts of different battery technologies into it.

GM doesnt have to do it all, but it would be helpful if the interface to the electrical system was stable and known.

Of course this could be a liability concern when someone inevitably fries thier pack because they hooked up a homegrown/bad aftermarket, range extender in. Its something you read about all the time with the people turboing there engines, blowing them up. then taking of the turbos and trying to get the engine fixed under warrantee.

While i'd love for the system to be as open as possible. I understand GM's need to keep things closed so they don't get screwed by less scrupulous people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Optional Battery Plugin

I agree. An optional battery plugin would be a huge benifit for long travels. It should be able to plug in to the car using a standard AC cable to allow third party battery makers to make and sell as technology becomes more advanced. Make Open Souce.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts